FarCry 3

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am such a moron.

Nope.. you've just under estimated how bloody amazing this game is when it comes to physics. :)
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,690
    Forum Member
    Nope! Without wishing to sound stupid, how do I get hold of that? DLC option?
    If, like me, you bought the game on DVD for the PC then you can download it from Uplay (Ubisoft's online distribution site), or if you got it from Steam for the PC then it's on there. It's also available on Xbox and the PS network for the two consoles I believe.

Regards

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox, and thanks Mark!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got as far as the ink boss before I realised you could use skill points on extra health bars. I'd had only two up until that point and wondered why I kept getting my arse kicked on the missions just before the boss and on the boss!
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I got platinum on this game before trading in & didn't know you could shoot the alarms with the sniper rifle! :eek: :o
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got as far as the ink boss before I realised you could use skill points on extra health bars. I'd had only two up until that point and wondered why I kept getting my arse kicked on the missions just before the boss and on the boss!

Lol I think I has every skill that you could get at that point the only ones i didn't have we're the locked ones :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    I got platinum on this game before trading in & didn't know you could shoot the alarms with the sniper rifle! :eek: :o

Add me to the list. I didn't know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something else I didn't know until recently in the game.. people can set off land mines.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have recently discovered the joys of taking out outposts with a silenced sniper rifle. Does make it considerably easier, especially when you shoot a cage and a tiger takes out pretty much the whole camp!
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »

You do have to be careful sometimes, though. The sniper rifle isn't particularly quick to reload and there are often mercs standing right next to the alarms (some outposts have 2 or 3 alarms) and it's tricky to take them all out quickly.

My preferred method was to wait around for a while and get to know the team's movements and then go in quietly for stealth kills and manually disable the alarm. You get extra XP if you liberate the camp completely undetected (although you can do that by letting an animal out its cage if it's strong enough to killl them all, e.g. tiger)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    You do have to be careful sometimes, though. The sniper rifle isn't particularly quick to reload and there are often mercs standing right next to the alarms (some outposts have 2 or 3 alarms) and it's tricky to take them all out quickly.

As long as the guards don't see you, even though they are alerted after you've shot one, they wont set off the alarms. They only set off the alarms if they detect you visually..ie the detection warning turns red.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avoided this thread in case of spoilers.

Just finished it, terrible story line, hated the characters, playing a 25 year old rich kid with an aspiring Hollywood actress girlfriend saving more arsehole Americans on a tropical island while also saving the natives. Who wrote this shit?. I just hated it all the way through,
    although it felt good that I could kill them all and stay on the island, so I do it and then I am killed by Citra, although amazingly
    I can still walk around the island. :confused:

Let me play as Vaas kidnapping tourists. I'd enjoy that game.
  • Just VogueJust Vogue Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished the game..... major plot spoilers in the tag.
    It wasn't exactly satisfying.

The confrontation with Hoyt was awesome, both he and Vaas were interesting characters. Vaas as clearly the more interesting one, so annoyed he died so early on. I definitely didn't like the killing sequences of Buck, Vaas and Hoyt. I just feel that the almost cinematic way in which they were done removed the satisfaction from killing the bad guys.

This kind of trails in to my huge problem with the ending. It was the drug induced dream like sequence. Earlier on in the thread I complained about the one with Vaas in, and this one too was equally annoying. I'm very glad that you were brought back to the real world to make the choice though. However the fact that the entire game felt like a trip gone wrong due to these sequences was just unneeded. I'd have rather they weren't included personally.

The end choice made very little difference to me. I hadn't grown attached to any of the friends due to the fact you spend about 10 minutes with them throughout the game or the crazy Rakyat knife lady (Who you spend so little time with that I've forgotten her name already). I didn't care who lived or who died. What was needed was more missions with these characters involved in them to make this ending better.

I've watched both endings now and definitely prefer the ending in which you save your friends because then there's some kind of closure. The other ending is very abrupt and isn't explained ingame in any level of depth.

The main storyline had its ups and downs. Interactions with Vaas, Buck and Hoyt were awesome. The gameplay in main storyline missions however wasn't the most exciting. The final missions are definitely underwhelming and I think that's because Hoyt wasn't included in the game from the start, and that Vaas was killed off far too early.

Either way this doesn't take away from the fact that I've enjoyed nearly every second of playing this game. The slightly off moments in the main storyline are countered by the amazing free roam aspects. Taking out the outposts will keep me playing this game as I find doing it slightly addictive!

Other than that still got online to try out, so I'm nowhere near done with Far Cry yet!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I get a lot of satisfaction from taking out the camps too. In some ways I even enjoy being killed trying so I can try out "fresh tactics" :)
  • gothergother Posts: 14,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was happily sniping and taking out guys at a outpost when out of nowhere a leopard decided i was dinner :(
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Vogue wrote: »
    Just finished the game..... major plot spoilers in the tag.
    It wasn't exactly satisfying.

The confrontation with Hoyt was awesome, both he and Vaas were interesting characters. Vaas as clearly the more interesting one, so annoyed he died so early on. I definitely didn't like the killing sequences of Buck, Vaas and Hoyt. I just feel that the almost cinematic way in which they were done removed the satisfaction from killing the bad guys.

This kind of trails in to my huge problem with the ending. It was the drug induced dream like sequence. Earlier on in the thread I complained about the one with Vaas in, and this one too was equally annoying. I'm very glad that you were brought back to the real world to make the choice though. However the fact that the entire game felt like a trip gone wrong due to these sequences was just unneeded. I'd have rather they weren't included personally.

The end choice made very little difference to me. I hadn't grown attached to any of the friends due to the fact you spend about 10 minutes with them throughout the game or the crazy Rakyat knife lady (Who you spend so little time with that I've forgotten her name already). I didn't care who lived or who died. What was needed was more missions with these characters involved in them to make this ending better.

I've watched both endings now and definitely prefer the ending in which you save your friends because then there's some kind of closure. The other ending is very abrupt and isn't explained ingame in any level of depth.

The main storyline had its ups and downs. Interactions with Vaas, Buck and Hoyt were awesome. The gameplay in main storyline missions however wasn't the most exciting. The final missions are definitely underwhelming and I think that's because Hoyt wasn't included in the game from the start, and that Vaas was killed off far too early.

Either way this doesn't take away from the fact that I've enjoyed nearly every second of playing this game. The slightly off moments in the main storyline are countered by the amazing free roam aspects. Taking out the outposts will keep me playing this game as I find doing it slightly addictive!

Other than that still got online to try out, so I'm nowhere near done with Far Cry yet!

All the characters are annoying, the boss fights are shit, the menu is poorly designed, the popup messages are annoying, the story is crap, the AI is laughable. Yet the weapons, vehicles, tactical elements and the islands are superbly designed - I'm nowhere near done either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who enjoyed the over the top strange story line lol
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I was happily sniping and taking out guys at a outpost when out of nowhere a leopard decided i was dinner :(

:D

I've had something similar like that happen to me but it was with a Tiger.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    All the characters are annoying, the boss fights are shit, the menu is poorly designed, the popup messages are annoying, the story is crap, the AI is laughable. Yet the weapons, vehicles, tactical elements and the islands are superbly designed - I'm nowhere near done either.

I agree with all of this, also Im certain I died more times from trying to change weapons quickly as I was attacked by an animal than anything else.

To make matters worse, I just clicked the co op and saw the intro, why on earth wasn't this the main storyline?
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished reading this thread, and I'm surprised at how positive most people are. I alternately love it and hate it. It can be fun, but it has a lot of flaws. (I'm playing on PS3, and I'm still on the first island.)

Biggest flaw is the save-game system. Especially only having two slots, one of which is for check-points (which you have no control over) and one for manual saves (which are often disabled). If you succeed on a mission, the check-point slot is overwritten so you can't go back and do it again. I don't often manually save (because on PS3 it's not quick to get to, and because often it's not available), and when I do that too overwrites the previous manual save. If ever a save-game gets corrupt, I'll have to replay days worth.

It's also disconcerting that loading a saved game does not restored you to where you were when you saved. It also loses tagged enemies. I'm finding this worse than Far Cry 2, which is also limited saves but in a more coherent way.

As with any check-point system, sometimes the check-point happens too early or too late. I don't always follow the route the game expects me to.

The craft system is a nice idea, but I seemed to go too quickly from having too little to having too much.

The cut-scenes are annoying. Especially one involving fire where you'd get to move a few feet, then the game would take over and move your character for a few more feet, then you'd be back in control again. It felt like the game was grabbing the steering wheel when I was trying to drive.

The on-screen prompts were annoying, especially in the early stages. "Throw a rock". "Craft a syringe". "Go to that viewpoint." "Switch weapons." I don't want to be nannied.

A lot of the prompts are to read background colour, eg weapon or people dossiers, which frankly add very little. It's a shame that the animal and plant dossiers don't tell you what crafting they are good for.

At the same time, my copy came with virtually no user-manual. For example, I keep getting told to "mash", but I have no idea what that word means. It doesn't help that the controls are inconsistent. For example, sometimes zoom is L2/R2, sometimes it is L1/R1. Sometimes the left control selects a slot, sometimes the right control. I'm forever injecting myself when I meant to select a weapon.
    Agree with that, some limits need to be put on or you'd just end up with so much money, the currency system becomes pointless.
    It becomes pointless anyway. I currently have more than I can usefully spend, and I'm not allowed to pick up more. (Admittedly something similar happens in most games. I end up with more diamonds than I can spend in FC2 as well, although not until nearer the end.)
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Funny thing is, one of the big criticisms of FC2 was the way the outposts would all respawn baddies whenever you returned to them.

Now we've got FC3 changing that and people are now complaining that there's no baddies around after the campaign is finished.
    Both extremes are bad and should be avoided; why is that funny?

I was OK with FC2 over this. Once I understood what was happening, it was clear that the game was not about clearing guard-posts but avoiding them. It did break realism a bit when they'd respawn after you'd barely turned your back on them. That was unusual, though; I gather the map was divided into tiles and you had to get unlucky with the tile edges.
    Conroy wrote: »
    The biggest problem I had with FC2 was the travelling between towns. It was boring, painfully boring and this made the game a chore. Even the whole quick travel was boring as the bus stops were somewhat out of the way and the boring travel rears its head again.
    I enjoyed the travel. That's partly because I enjoyed the route-planning. There were a lot of options: road, cross-country or water; on foot or by vehicle; take out guard posts, sneak past them or find a route which avoided them altogether; all the while trying to visit new areas to search for diamonds and unlock safe houses. Another part was the tension. It was what the SAS call "TABing" - "Tactical Advance to Battle" - meaning you could be fired upon at any moment. Even if you avoided marked guard-posts, you'd sometimes encounter unmarked ones, or pairs of guard patrolling.

At the moment I am not really getting the same vibe from FC3. It's partly because the map is large enough that I've not really got to know any part of it yet. There hasn't been much scope for long-distance route planning. Also, at least in the early stages, it seemed so densely populated that if I made any noise I'd get attacked by baddies or animals. That got better after I got some silenced weapons, but vehicles were unusable. Now I've cleared some enemy camps it seems to be going to the opposite extreme, with the cleared areas being boringly safe.
    hsellors wrote: »
    Yeah I know about not being able to save it was more about reaching a check point and it not being saved, which is what I thought a check point was for - or at least some where to go back to.
    I have noticed that sometimes it says I have reached a check-point, but doesn't show the "saving" graphic, and then it turns out not to have saved.

More annoying is that sometimes doing what seems to me like a major achievement, such as converting a radio tower, does not trigger a check-point. (One time that may have been because the tower was close to a story mission.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just stuck 2 in for a bash boy that map and monocle was a pain and trying to sneak up on guys was difficult lol
  • wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Just got on to the second island now & I really didn't want Vaas to die and so soon as well. I thought he was the game's best character and to have such a major character killed half way through was a big let down for me, i'd rather he died at the end of the game just so it like closes everything out cos i think the Hoyt storylines might be a bit boring tbh he just doesn't seem that interesting
  • hsellorshsellors Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »

I have noticed that sometimes it says I have reached a check-point, but doesn't show the "saving" graphic, and then it turns out not to have saved.

More annoying is that sometimes doing what seems to me like a major achievement, such as converting a radio tower, does not trigger a check-point. (One time that may have been because the tower was close to a story mission.)

I got used to it in the end. I noticed not being able to save a lot at first as most of my game was taken up by missions but for the majority of game time I have spent doing side missions/hunting missions/supply drops/ collecting which has meant I've been able to save whereever.

At least in missions like in Path of the Hunteit doesn't take me back to a safehouse.

I'm 95% through and have ten missons left on the second island. The percentage balance for that seems odd.I have completed everything else.

The side missions I find laughable at times. You'd think they'd make them a bit more challenging!

But I still really enjoy using my sniper to take out pirvateers / pirates and sneaking around. I never got bored of that :)

Money I find too plentiful towards the end when everything is bought. I wish they didn't give so many guns away for free. The last mission I couldn't complete as it wouldn't let me loot the body as my wallet was full so I had to restart and just buy paint jobs for all my guns.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I was able to resolve my money issue for a while. I took the time to hunt some sharks and raise my limit from $4k to $6k, which gave a temporary reprieve. Then spent $500 on a map, and used it to find enough collectables to unlock a signature weapon. That was reassuringly expensive at $3k or so.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    ...to unlock a signature weapon...

I got 'Shredder' yesterday. Love it :D