Little Mix New Single - Black Magic

Comments

• Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this, I think it's really really good. There's parts in the music that sound like girls just wanna have fun...wonder if it's sampled.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its extremely basic. Kind of a regression musically.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    There's parts in the music that sound like girls just wanna have fun...wonder if it's sampled.

I noticed this straight away! It surely can't be a coincidence.

The songs OK, but nothing special. Certainly not as good as Move or Wings. This is quite generic in comparison.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's catchy but a bit generic compared to some of the songs on Salute.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    The thing I like about Little Mix is that they can do both pop and R&B. They are not defined by one genre and can appeal to a wider audience. All they need to do is establish themselves with a signature song and I believe they will then blow up.
  • rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Meh. It's an ok pop record. Fairly bland and generic though, it sounds like something you'd hear playing over the credits on a cheesy teen flick. Nowhere near as good as DNA or Salute.
  • Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's okay, it's a fun song. But the verses are better than the chorus, the chorus seems like something you'd hear on the opening titles to a Disney show or something...
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Its extremely basic. Kind of a regression musically.

Being regressive didn't hurt 'Uptown Funk'.

It's an 80s influenced tune, that's all.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    I think it's okay, it's a fun song. But the verses are better than the chorus, the chorus seems like something you'd hear on the opening titles to a Disney show or something...

See I think the opposite. I love the chorus but not really a fan of the verses
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These girls are killing it!
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's an awful choice of lead single. It's very, very basic and shows no progression from them whatsoever. Even the single cover looks very childish. I don't think they will last much longer with Simon/Syco...I don't think he cares less about them. I think this will be the last album with Syco and they'll drop them or come to a mutual parting of ways. RCA or someone might pick them up. Also, Simon is obsessed with Fifth Harmony who will be launched properly in the UK soon. I think he's more interested in them than Little Mix.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to the chorus of the Little Mix song, now listen to this and tell me they're not very similiar :)

https://youtu.be/EOvMpND2OZY?t=70
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Being regressive didn't hurt 'Uptown Funk'.

It's an 80s influenced tune, that's all.

I don't mean the genre is regressive, I mean them doing this kind of music when they should be continuing with their Salute sound is regressive. They're better than this.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    It might be generic but it's a solid sounding pop song. If any song is going to give Little Mix another UK #1, Black Magic is that song.

I still think Move is one of the best singles Little Mix have released so far but it wasn't commercial enough to appeal to the teenyboppers who liked Wings, DNA, Change Your Life etc...

I've been a big fan of Little Mix ever since X Factor. It's great to see them continue having success. Black Magic sure bodes well for the third album.

OT; does that mean Call The Shots was a "regressive" song by Girls Aloud just because it sounded more like an unashamedly pop song? It sure didn't hinder their success. :p
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It went on sale in the US 4 hours ago without radio or promo (or any notice since they moved it up a week) and its already #135 from fan buys.

I dont think its a regressive step at all. They managed to bring a solid Pop tune merged with their signature vocal sound they've been developing.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's regressive at all. I think it shows they are versatile and can do a fun pop song aswell as the other stuff. I think it's great for them and a real earworm comeback
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it better than anything from the second album. It would have fit well on their wonderful debut album.
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony are probably trying to market them in the US as the Disney / tween friendly girl group and keep Fifth Harmony as the more edgy / urban one. You can't have both groups fishing in the same waters, especially as Fifth Harmony are doing really well at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are reading too much into this one single as an album indicator. Jess Glynne who they worked with described the songs she heard as "RnB that was fresh" whatever that means and the fans who got to hear another album track yesterday described that one as RnB.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Fresh' Rn'B could almost mean anything. I thought LM were listening to Prince. His music is very diverse and it draws on Rock, Soul, Rn'B, Electronica etc etc. I would like them to really try out a variety of styles and Black Magic is worthy of that.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    'Fresh' Rn'B could almost mean anything. I thought LM were listening to Prince. His music is very diverse and it draws on Rock, Soul, Rn'B, Electronica etc etc. I would like them to really try out a variety of styles and Black Magic is worthy of that.

Have to agree. I think that they have displayed a remarkable ability to switch between musical influences across the first two albums whilst keeping each song recognisable as being a 'little mix' sound.

I mean, Wings and Move are incredibly disparate in terms of musical influence, but both easily identified as the same people, for a young group its quite unusual.

This is just another step along the same path, it has clearly been written to garner more commercial attention, I thought Move was the best single of last year myself, but it was never going to get major radio support, especially in the US, and like it or not, they need that commercial success to keep making music. Syco are no indie in it for the art, it needs to reach a broad market. I suspect like the last two albums, this next one will be full of clever tracks that cover a broad range of styles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Video preview. They finally got a budget and some not discreetly placed Beats headphones. It looks well shot.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/fd78e6a4-c13d-4705-b08c-d4193afe7c9c

Full video on VEVO Fri. 8 AM UK time.

Currently #105 US thanks to a Hot Tracks placing on iTunes, and #159 UK on preorders.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    SUCH a great song
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's an awful choice of lead single. It's very, very basic and shows no progression from them whatsoever. Even the single cover looks very childish. I don't think they will last much longer with Simon/Syco...I don't think he cares less about them. I think this will be the last album with Syco and they'll drop them or come to a mutual parting of ways. RCA or someone might pick them up. Also, Simon is obsessed with Fifth Harmony who will be launched properly in the UK soon. I think he's more interested in them than Little Mix.

How can you care less about something? You remind me of Americans when they think it's correct to say I could care less.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pure pop, which is actually quite refreshing. Pure pop is 'in' right now anyway, look at Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen, Meghan Trainor... bubbly, feel-good music. Or maybe I'm just old enough not to be embarrassed about liking happy pop music!