iPhone 5 4.6 display

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Why the irrational hatred of Apple's ethos (and the continued snide remarks?).
    How is anything that you're saying remotely true of just Apple? How about all Nokia handsets before 2004? Were features added and advanced customisation allowed on the 3310? Sony Ericsson, you could change the themes on those! Its not simply phone's though. Freeview set top boxes? You buy it do receive Freeview signals, do you then make snide comments that the manufacturer isn't giving you the option to cook toast with it?
    "But it's been 3 years since I bought my oven and it still doesn't wash my clothes! Ridiculous!"
    Most people are happy with simplicity. What right minded individual who uses their phone camera whilst pissed on a night out even remotely cares about ISO settings or shutter speeds?
    No, in fact on numerous occasions you were sprouting the crap that because the screen isn't 3.5" no iPhone owners would buy it because its too big!

I have to say your toast argument made me laugh. I have absolutely no idea what your talking about mind but I did smile.
    Forum Member
    I've not found the iPhone's camera particularly bad at AWB though to be fair to it.

I still can't see that people are that bothered though.

"Ah sweet its Joe Pasquali! Here Joe, any chance of a picture for Facebook?"
    "Yeah sure mate"
    "Hang on, let me just... right, would you call those bulbs incandescent or flourescent?"
    "er.."
    "right, now I think I need a high ISO and low shutter speed given the ambient lighting of the room"
    "ok"
    "right I've got it, hang on, its too grainy, let me try a slightly lower ISO and open the shutter for longer"
    "seriously?"
    "right, done. Ah no, now this one's blurry, I guess the higher ISO was better"

Man seriiosly what are you talking about.
  • PiazzaCharliePiazzaCharlie Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Oh no doubt. That's why the standard of photography has declined massively. The camera quality is OK, but problem lies behind the camera. :D

Alternately.
    "Click". Oh, that's not very good. Oh well.
    The same people who find it difficult to adjust a couple of settings on a camera are those that think its a good idea to wave an ipad around taking pictures in public.

edit:how about scene modes? Would "indoors/outdoors/sports/landscape/portrait" be too complicated for the average iphone owner? ;)

Because people need a setting to take a landscape photo, rather than just turn the camera on its side? :p
    If you read it, the first half of the article is comparing it to the Sony Ericsson K850 , Nokia N82 and Samsung G800,all several years old. Alongside which it is unimpressive.

(in colour accuracy)

I did read it. The K850 had one of the best cameras ever on a phone - that doesn't make the camera on the iPhone poor. What you really need to do is show that the camera on the iPhone is significantly worse than than other camera phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Man seriiosly what are you talking about.

The point is that if camera phones had a load of advanced settings, 99% of users wouldn't use them 99% of the time.
    Forum Member
    The point is that if camera phones had a load of advanced settings, 99% of users wouldn't use them 99% of the time.

I just love these sweeping statements iphone supporters make...media is not important on a phone ... 99% of users dont want them. By offering these things every other phone maker has it wrong then except for apple :D

I dont have them therefore I dont need them spoken like good devotees
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, I don't need them because I don't need them.

The toast analogy was to do with your ridiculous statement about Apple giving a device with a set number of features and you saying they don't give what the user wants.

You are such a troll its unbelievable. I thought schools were in the middle of a term at the moment?
    Forum Member
    No, I don't need them because I don't need them.

The toast analogy was to do with your ridiculous statement about Apple giving a device with a set number of features and you saying they don't give what the user wants.

You are such a troll its unbelievable. I thought schools were in the middle of a term at the moment?

Thats right whatever apple doesn't give you, you don't need.

At this rate you will be at level 5 in no time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats right whatever apple doesn't give you, you don't need.

At this rate you will be at level 5 in no time.

No, you're right of course. It's not like I have those features on my Fuji Finepix and don't use them, of course that's Apple's fault.

I may be a level 5 in no time but I have to congratulate you on your graduation from the University of Trolling with distinction.
    Forum Member
    No, you're right of course. It's not like I have those features on my Fuji Finepix and don't use them, of course that's Apple's fault.

I can only say ... what?

Take a breath and think before you post it just comes across as mad ramblings.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only say ... what?

Regardless of who's trolling who, it is true that the vast majority of people who take photos with a phone camera don't change the settings, but that's not because they do or don't have access to them, it's because the majority of ordinary people don't have a bloody clue about photography and would look blankly at you if you talked about the ISO or auto white balance. I know this because I have a family full of people like that and they all have a BlackBerry or an iPhone!

Personally, if I was setting up a shot that required editable settings, I'd use my Canon digital compact. Photos from my phone are mostly for quick snaps of funny stuff to post on Facebook/Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only say ... what?

What the ****? You literally just said, in reply to my comment about not using the features, that I don't use the features because Apple don't give them to me. I then replied that I have those features on my Fuji Finepix and still don't use them, adding mild whimsy about your crap that Apple dictates that I don't use the features.

I'm stopping this, I feel like I'm losing brain cells every time I read one of your frankly ridiculous claims.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Regardless of who's trolling who, it is true that the vast majority of people who take photos with a phone camera don't change the settings, but that's not because they do or don't have access to them, it's because the majority of ordinary people don't have a bloody clue about photography and would look blankly at you if you talked about the ISO or auto white balance. I know this because I have a family full of people like that and they all have a BlackBerry or an iPhone!

Personally, if I was setting up a shot that required editable settings, I'd use my Canon digital compact. Photos from my photo are mostly for quick snaps of funny stuff to post on Facebook/Twitter.

Whilst i tend to agree with you what many of us feel is that there should be a choice for those that do want features.

I bet many smartphone users dont use GPS or video editing or personalised ringtones or twitter ...... but should these be removed ?

personally i very rarely touch the photo options on my nexus - like you say its point and click. However the other night I was in a japanese restaurant and the pictures were terrible due to the heat and oil from the food being cooked in front of us. A couple of tweaks on the settings and I had great pictures again.

By the way the Japanese food was lovely :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Whilst i tend to agree with you what many of us feel is that there should be a choice for those that do want features.

I bet many smartphone users dont use GPS or video editing or personalised ringtones or twitter ...... but should these be removed ?

personally i very rarely touch the photo options on my nexus - like you say its point and click. However the other night I was in a japanese restaurant and the pictures were terrible due to the heat and oil from the food being cooked in front of us. A couple of tweaks on the settings and I had great pictures again.

By the way the Japanese food was lovely :)
    I agree that people who want settings should have them, and people have the choice by selecting an Android phone. The "Apple way" is to make the camera as good as they can for a wide range of scenarios, but to keep it simple.

I think the above discussion demonstrates that their choice to not provide settings for their target users seems to be the right one as they're arguing that they wouldn't use them anyway.

Looking at it from another way, given that the iPhone is the most popular camera of all (including DSLRs and compacts) for people uploading to Flickr, it seems that a lot of people are happy with the camera as it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Apple probably did the right thing given the majority of their user-base, but the wrong thing for people who want choice, which is why it's great that there are alternatives out there.:D
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I agree that people who want settings should have them, and people have the choice by selecting an Android phone. The "Apple way" is to make the camera as good as they can for a wide range of scenarios, but to keep it simple.

I think the above discussion demonstrates that their choice to not provide settings for their target users seems to be the right one as they're arguing that they wouldn't use them anyway.

Looking at it from another way, given that the iPhone is the most popular camera of all (including DSLRs and compacts) for people uploading to Flickr, it seems that a lot of people are happy with the camera as it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Apple probably did the right thing given the majority of their user-base, but the wrong thing for people who want choice, which is why it's great that there are alternatives out there.:D

the above discussion is in an iPad thread so its going to be fairly Apple leaning :)

but we are all in agreement that choice is good, competition drives innovation, and that Japanese food is lovely :D
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member

This is the key. I do agree with dontpannic in that he probably feels narked off that he is described as the epitome of a sheep-like iPhone user whereas he has simply just found something which suits him down to the ground. I do feel though that at times he gets too defensive as though comments are directed at him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    the above discussion is in an iPad thread so its going to be fairly Apple leaning :)

but we are all in agreement that choice is good, competition drives innovation, and that Japanese food is lovely :D

Indeed Sushi for the win! :D
    Forum Member
    What the ****? You literally just said, in reply to my comment about not using the features, that I don't use the features because Apple don't give them to me. I then replied that I have those features on my Fuji Finepix and still don't use them, adding mild whimsy about your crap that Apple dictates that I don't use the features.

I'm stopping this, I feel like I'm losing brain cells every time I read one of your frankly ridiculous claims.

Trust me stop now then because you really cannot afford to lose any you are dangerously low now.
    Forum Member

Just nonesnse all phones come with an auto setting so why no provide enhanced settings as well, its as if apple are saying iphone users are too dumb or cant be trusted with any advanced settings. Much like everything else they lock down with no options give the option can it really hurt.

Not sure what this has to do with screen size now though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    This is the key. I do agree with dontpannic in that he probably feels narked off that he is described as the epitome of a sheep-like iPhone user whereas he has simply just found something which suits him down to the ground. I do feel though that at times he gets too defensive as though comments are directed at him.

Thanks Dai.

Swordman seems to direct his comments to me all the time (not just this thread, in the past as well).

Added to my ignore list now though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just nonesnse all phones come with an auto setting so why no provide enhanced settings as well, its as if apple are saying iphone users are too dumb or cant be trusted with any advanced settings. Much like everything else they lock down with no options give the option can it really hurt.

Not sure what this has to do with screen size now though :D

I don't know why you're calling what I've said nonsense. The bit of your post I'm highlighting is EXACTLY what I'm saying. The vast majority of ordinary people haven't a clue about photography and if you drew a Venn diagram with those people and the people who own iPhones, you'd get almost all of them in the big overlap segment in the middle! :D
    Forum Member
    I don't know why you're calling what I've said nonsense. The bit of your post I'm highlighting is EXACTLY what I'm saying. The vast majority of ordinary people haven't a clue about photography and if you drew a Venn diagram with those people and the people who own iPhones, you'd get almost all of them in the big overlap segment in the middle! :D

What I was saying was nonsense is the fact that apple couldn't offer those functions as well as a point and shoot for the most iPhone user they just don't want to.

As to apple thinking their users are dumb well I couldn't possibly comment on that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I was saying was nonsense is the fact that apple couldn't offer those functions as well as a point and shoot for the most iPhone user they just don't want to.

As to apple thinking their users are dumb well I couldn't possibly comment on that.

I didn't say Apple couldn't offer them. I said they leave them out because that's the "Apple way", in other words they decide what you get in your phone.

I'm agreeing with the point you're making. Stop arguing with me, you're making yourself look like a numpty!:D
    Forum Member
    I didn't say Apple couldn't offer them. I said they leave them out because that's the "Apple way", in other words they decide what you get in your phone.

I'm agreeing with the point you're making. Stop arguing with me, you're making yourself look like a numpty!:D

I know you weren't and my last point was clarifying just that at least I thought. :(

Like I would ever disagree with you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you weren't and my last point was clarifying just that at least I thought. :(

Like I would ever disagree with you :D

Good, that's that sorted then.

So... bigger screen on an iPhone 5 - bit bigger, maybe 4" would be ideal for me.

And whilst HTC are at it, a revised HTC Cha Cha with a shed load more internal memory and a bigger screen!

Ta! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love these sweeping statements iphone supporters make...media is not important on a phone ... 99% of users dont want them. By offering these things every other phone maker has it wrong then except for apple :D

I didn't say that. I said that most people probably don't use them. Just because a phone or camera has a bunch of settings really doesn't mean that everyone will use them. That much has nothing to do with my own personal preference. In fact, the mere idea that any of this is about "supporting an iPhone" is kind of laughable.