Options

Bad Wolf Returns?

Comments

• Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would Moffat be brave enough to bring back Rose and kill her off?
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »

Wishful thinking? ;)
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »

Why would he kill the most popular companion in the history of the show? Just remember that this forum is only like 1% of the fanbase
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Why would he kill the most popular companion in the history of the show? Just remember that this forum is only like 1% of the fanbase

Now you mention it, killing off alternate Rose and 10 would be quite dramatic.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GREAT casting there Moffat...we get the Rose (and her little buddy 10) show overshadowing everything.

Yes, great casting, I agree. Oh, you were being sarcastic? Well, in that case, I'm so, so, sorry you won't be enjoying the 50th. I, on the other hand, will be. Along with many others. :)
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shock value, as it would leave a lasting impression on the audience. It's not as if Billie will ever come back again. I would say Sarah Jane is the most popular companion ever.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Amy's at least as popular as Rose — possibly more so because she stayed longer and left more recently, and despite what certain members of this forum like to pretend, the viewing figures have been just as good during Amy's run as they were during Rose's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I was sorry to hear that Rose was coming back for the 50th episode and my enthusiasm for the episode has gone somewhat as a result of it. All I can do now is hope she won't be in the episode for more than 5 minutes but I suspect that is a forlorn hope as Billie Piper's name is in the poster, which would seem to indicate a somewhat substantial role in the episode.

Oh well. If nothing else, I hope the Rose and 10th Doctor characters don't spend all of their time running around acting like a couple of teenagers.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    Here I am ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Regardless of what us old-farts may think, the principal audience for DW now are almost entirely connected to the 2005+ series and for many of them, Rose is as much a part of the show as the Daleks or the Tardis.

I wonder how popular and successful the new Who would have been without the Classic Who fanbase supporting it. Certainly the majority of people watching the show when it first came out were Classic Who fans and not people randomly turning into the show who had never seen the show before or never heard about it before.

It would be interesting to conduct an experiment in which all Classic Who fans stopped watching new Who and then see what the ratings for new Who would look like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here I am ;):D

QUICK- GET HIM!!!!!!
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad wolf returns... I'm still not sure what it ever was in the first place
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are perfectly entitled to your personal opinion..... despite the fact that show has been populated by substantially more qualified and gifted actors than such an amateur ham who walked into/out of the show.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor liz ... forgotten already. I still think she was the best anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhoFan55 wrote: »
    I was sorry to hear that Rose was coming back for the 50th episode and my enthusiasm for the episode has gone somewhat as a result of it. All I can do now is hope she won't be in the episode for more than 5 minutes but I suspect that is a forlorn hope as Billie Piper's name is in the poster, which would seem to indicate a somewhat substantial role in the episode.

Oh well. If nothing else, I hope the Rose and 10th Doctor characters don't spend all of their time running around acting like a couple of teenagers.

This ^^
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    And they're so easy to wind up too. All you have to do is, say, declare someone to be the "most important Companion ever" and watch them go. Pavlov would be proud.
    The question remains - why on earth would you want to do that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    the fact that we (the audience) haven't previously seen the earlier Doctor's coming across "bad wolf" doesn't mean it didn't happen.

The Second Doctor effectively has. Keep an eagle eye out in the animated Invasion episodes. The animators apparently slipped Bad Wolf onto the wall of writing that appears when Zoe is posing for the fashion shoot. ;)
  • Options
    solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member

What's K9 got to do with this? I thought we were talking about Rose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's K9 got to do with this? I thought we were talking about Rose.

:D ...
  • Options
    DazerUKDazerUK Posts: 1,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "bad wolf" meme was almost identical to what we just had with Clara placing herself throughout the Doctor's timeline. In the case of Bad Wolf, Rose placed those "signs" throughout time after looking into the eye of the Tardis - she was therefore able to manipulate events in time without necessarily being present at each event.

As with Clara's presence in the Doctor's timeline - the fact that we (the audience) haven't previously seen the earlier Doctor's coming across "bad wolf" doesn't mean it didn't happen - so it's possible that either of those instances of mucking about with history is directly connected to the existence of whatever John Hurt's "Doctor" turns out to be.
    The Second Doctor effectively has. Keep an eagle eye out in the animated Invasion episodes. The animators apparently slipped Bad Wolf onto the wall of writing that appears when Zoe is posing for the fashion shoot. ;)

It makes no sense that earlier Doctors have come across Bad Wolf.

In The Parting of the Ways, Rose says 'I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words. I scatter them ... in time, and space. A message to lead myself here.'

If Bad Wolf is a message to herself, Rose would only need to scatter the messages within her own timeline. Sending the message to previous incarnations of the Doctor doesn't help her get back to 9.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    DazerUK wrote: »
    It makes no sense that earlier Doctors have come across Bad Wolf.

In The Parting of the Ways, Rose says 'I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words. I scatter them ... in time, and space. A message to lead myself here.'

If Bad Wolf is a message to herself, so would only need to scatter the messages within her own timeline. Sending the message to previous incarnations of the Doctor doesn't help her get back to 9.

True, but then I don't think Rose speaks German, or had a chance to really clock the 'Schlechter Wolf' painted on the bomb Jack rode ala Doctor Strangelove. And never mind the 'Bad Wolf One' chopper that van Staten has but which Rose and the Ninth Doc never encounter. The concept of Bad Wolf is fairly tenuous at the best of times - still fun though.

I think The Invasion one was just a harmless wee Easter Egg for fans (although maybe Rose had an unseen adventure in 60s London with the Doc). :)

I wouldn't worry about it. These sort of things are normally just little nods to fandom and don't mean anything. After all I don't think R2-D2 or C-3PO had much to do with the Ark of the Covenant, but they're on the wall in the map room in Raiders of the Lost Ark. ;)
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    allen_who wrote: »
    Bad wolf returns... I'm still not sure what it ever was in the first place

well it was about 8 years ago but it was something like , it was a message the Tardis left itself over time and space to bring the Doctor and the Tardis to specific place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DazerUK wrote: »
    If Bad Wolf is a message to herself, Rose would only need to scatter the messages within her own timeline. Sending the message to previous incarnations of the Doctor doesn't help her get back to 9.

Yeah, but give a teenager from a council estate a big enough spray can...
    :D
  • Options
    MobesMobes Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Just a thought... maybe Rose wasn't Bad Wolf after all...I don't see the reason to bring that phrase back into it just because she's back... maybe the Bad Wolf was John Hurts Doctor all along?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mobes wrote: »
    Just a thought... maybe Rose wasn't Bad Wolf after all...I don't see the reason to bring that phrase back into it just because she's back... maybe the Bad Wolf was John Hurts Doctor all along?

Well, as we know it, there's no Bad Wolf as such - it's just a distinctive phrase, a breadcrumb trail. So far, there's not been a meaning attached to the wolfness or badness of it all.