Stations that have disappeard from M.W.

124»

Comments

• RakimRakim Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim (B) wrote: »
    I remember the short-lived Airport Information Radio broadcasting on 1584KHZ from Gatwick and Heathrow airports. Wasn’t it owned and operated by Allied Radio, the owners of Radio Mercury?

Indeed it was. I believe the A.I.R. services were the idea of John Aumonier, after he had heard something similar on a holiday to Florida.

;)
  • Juan Carlos AraJuan Carlos Ara Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    I remember those loops. I know it wasn't, but the guy on it sounded like Harry Enfield.

I remember the first non "Harry Enfield"-esque Talk Radio broadcast was Caeser the Geezer doing a test transmission at 10pm Feb 13th 1995.

I am not sure about it, reception was not good in Spain, but I think the content of those loops introducing Talk Radio was very ironic or so.

I had the feeling someone was angry because Radio 1 had to left the MW frecuencies in order to leave room to that new radio service, which, according the loop´s content, it was a candid new radio station, talking about probably nonsense talked contents and irrelevant subjects.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerplay wrote: »
    Thanks for the info! :)

Didn't BBC Radio Devon in Plymouth close down its 855 transmiter for tests in DRM? What is to become of DRM as no radio manufacturers seem to be making the receivers? What with satellite and wi-fi, is there any point in having DRM?

I seem to remember picking up a station from Brittany in France on 1593 MW last year, promoting test transmissions in DRM, but they were in analogue at the time.
    There is a new Anglo/French/Chinese DRM set on it's way from Uniwave www.uniwave.fr and Mirics http://www.mirics.com/products.php?navid=12, but the UK 855 and 26Mhz tests were not included in later DRWG reports so does not look like DRM will be used for domestic use in the UK.
    However the BBC and DW will use it for international use on shortwave and 1296, India and Russia are still interested so DRM is not dead yet.