Janet Jackson - What Have You Done For Me Lately?

LMLM Posts: 63,318
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLdUZvQ8w8

This is just one of those tunes where you can not help but get up and dance. Such an amazing track. Plus, it kickstarted Janet's career. The video and the album it comes from are incredible as well.

Comments

• HaydenHayden Posts: 32,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole 'Control' album is jam packed with great track after great track- simply one of the albums of the 80's.

'Nasty' and 'The Pleasure Principle' are my favourites.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    An inspiration to most of today's R&B laydeez. Short at 9 tracks but no filler whatsoever, I do prefer the Shep 7" remix of Pleasure Principle whose video is also an inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-gu1KETjVY
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZLdUZvQ8w8

This is just one of those tunes where you can not help but get up and dance. Such an amazing track. Plus, it kickstarted Janet's career. The video and the album it comes from are incredible as well.

PREACH! :D:D:D
    I love it. Such a TUNE. I was proper bopping and mum was surprised haha :p
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the Control album so many hits and WHYDFML is definitely one of the best of not only her career but the 80's love Janet pre Damita Jo.
    Forum Member
    Any love for 1814? I adore State of the World and that pre-middle 8. Now THAT is a breakdown.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Love the Control album so many hits and WHYDFML is definitely one of the best of not only her career but the 80's love Janet pre Damita Jo.

Agreed. Such a fine album.
  • umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What one Janet's greatest records! I can't wait for her to make a return to music.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iseloid wrote: »
    Any love for 1814? I adore State of the World and that pre-middle 8. Now THAT is a breakdown.

I haven't heard the full album but love most if not all the singles Especially Rhythm Nation the video was especially brilliant.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Damita Jo is in my top 3 JJ albums - SO SO underrated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh man so much love for the CONTROL album!

Rhythm Nation 1814 is my fave Janet album however....that is a piece of genius...actually from my fave year of music EVER! But Control is right behind it.

I also have to say the Janet. album and Velvet ROpe are truly sublime albums also....All For You and 20 Y.O i dont really like/play much at all and Damita Jo is an okay album...however Discipline was a neat surprise and i think it is a great enough album......however would love her to return soon....Princess Of Pop :cool: SHES IN CONTROL!!
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rhythm Nation:1814 is my favourite Janet album and I still crave it after all these years. State of The World and Black Cat are my top songs on there. Brilliant album
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Stat of the world one of my all time favourite Jj songs and she is still as slick as ever with the dancing there is no other female that can out dance ms janet
    Forum Member
    And not to forget she's a amazing writer
    Forum Member
    And not to forget she's a amazing writer

Indeed. I was surprised she wrote Black Cat solely! I was like well damn Ms Janet :D
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I was surprised she wrote Black Cat solely! I was like well damn Ms Janet :D
    And whoops now :) she always had something to say lyrically and backs it up she's very talented when it comes to lyrics .
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoops Now is a gem if a tune. You cannot help but smile when it begins
    Forum Member
    Whoops Now is a gem if a tune. You cannot help but smile when it begins

It's quite a depressing song - it's all about her friends going away for a weekend break and she's stuck behind cos she said she'd work.....but NEXT time they go away she'll say "Whoops now sorry I can't go, I'm out having fun in the sun with my friends"
    But the song is about her being stuck behind!!
  • TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Have You Done For Me Lately and Nasty Girl were both written by Prince, even though it has Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis in the writing credits!! A long story!!

Way back in the 80s, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis were both members of Morris Day & The Time, who were one of Princes' side project bands(although in actual fact they were really him). Anyway, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lews were already working on stuff of their own as well as being part of MD & TT. MD & TT and Prince and The Revolution were on tour together(I think the Purple Rain Tour), and JJ & TL were working on stuff in Minneapolis and they couldnt make the gig in Atlanta due to a heavy snow storm which kept them stranded in Minneapolis. Prince dealt with the situation the only way he knew how and fired them!! JJ & TL then set up their own production company and record label, Flyte Time Productions, and they signed on Janet Jackson, but the thing is Prince wrote those 2 tracks for MD & TT, so they were still in JJ & TLs possession, so out of spite for Prince firing them, they gave gave those 2 tracks to Janet Jackson to record and put their name in the writing credits and not Prince!!

I think thats how the story goes!!

The thing is, over the past few years, Prince has performed both those tracks in concert!!:D:D
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    her only track that i like..... sorry.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer her 80s songs than her 90s stuff. I like this video as it first introduced us to Janet and she showed she was more than Michael's little sister. The video features and was choreographed by Paula Abdul if memory serves me correctly.
    Forum Member
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    What Have You Done For Me Lately and Nasty Girl were both written by Prince, even though it has Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis in the writing credits!! A long story!!

Way back in the 80s, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis were both members of Morris Day & The Time, who were one of Princes' side project bands(although in actual fact they were really him). Anyway, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lews were already working on stuff of their own as well as being part of MD & TT. MD & TT and Prince and The Revolution were on tour together(I think the Purple Rain Tour), and JJ & TL were working on stuff in Minneapolis and they couldnt make the gig in Atlanta due to a heavy snow storm which kept them stranded in Minneapolis. Prince dealt with the situation the only way he knew how and fired them!! JJ & TL then set up their own production company and record label, Flyte Time Productions, and they signed on Janet Jackson, but the thing is Prince wrote those 2 tracks for MD & TT, so they were still in JJ & TLs possession, so out of spite for Prince firing them, they gave gave those 2 tracks to Janet Jackson to record and put their name in the writing credits and not Prince!!

The thing is, over the past few years, Prince has performed both those tracks in concert!!:D:D

That's really jnteresting! Never knew that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's really jnteresting! Never knew that!

As far as I'm aware it's never actually been confirmed - the rumours about 'What Have You Done For Me Lately?' seem to stem from comments Prince made at a show in Tokyo where he aimed several jibes at Jam and Lewis. It's unclear though whether he is suggesting he wrote the song, or that he was accusing Jam and Lewis of imitating his signature style.

There's been some discussion of it on Prince forums in the past:
    http://prince.org/msg/7/343736
    http://prince.org/msg/7/189033
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer her 80s songs than her 90s stuff. I like this video as it first introduced us to Janet and she showed she was more than Michael's little sister. The video features and was choreographed by Paula Abdul if memory serves me correctly.

Same here

Apart from together again and Feedback, i haven't really liked any of her material since Rythm Nation.
    Forum Member
    Velvet rope is my all time favourite janet album lyrically strong and truthful it really tells a story
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »

always thought it sounded like a prince song :cool: