Options

Brexit : A very British coup?

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    One of the best nights of my life, June 23rd :)

Despite the British Government asking literally everyone to step in to back remain....the banks, various departments, celebrities, Obama, ally nations, BBC, the NHS, Jesus and his mates + the threats of world war 3, banking collapse, £3000+ a year poorer + 3m job risked + the roof caving in.....virtually every voice on earth saying 'stay in'.....and the public still voted out!

Imagine what the leave vote would have won by if the above lot didn't stick their noses in. Never seen anything like it, great stuff.

I'm not sure really. Imo the remain campaign was what won it for leave. They had a negative story lined up for every day of the campaign and I think it ended up driving voters in the opposite direction to what they intended.
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Dacco wrote: »
    That's your opinion, my view it was an intelligent decision by the voting public to have confidence in this country to make its way as all the most successful counties do in the world, independently......

An "intelligent decision" by the least well educated members of the public - as statistically demonstrated.
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I have no idea how to run a country or govern - I am more than happy to be led by people that we have elected. I think that's intelligence - cutting your nose of to spite your face to get one back at the toffs is severely lacking i intelligence IMO.

Is that not the point. We, the people of the EU didn't elect Drunker/Junker and the rest of the commission and we have no way of getting them out.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    Is that not the point. We, the people of the EU didn't elect Drunker/Junker and the rest of the commission and we have no way of getting them out.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrm - they do not run our country - we elect a government for that and EU ministers to represent us in Brussells.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dacco wrote: »
    You like to be told what to do and be lead by the hand through any given situation, how intelligent is that?

How did you jump from one to the other?

From what I could tell the Brexit vote was won by the media's brainwashing of the masses. Constant pro-Brexit hyperbola by The Express, Mail, Sun & many of Murdoch's media had a big impact on the vote. Alongside the inaccuracies perpetuated by the likes of Far age Gove & Boris, and the weak pro-EU leaders such as Cameron & Osborne.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrm - they do not run our country - we elect a government for that and EU ministers to represent us in Brussells.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm - They pass laws on the people of this country without being elected by the people of this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    One of the best nights of my life, June 23rd :)

Despite the British Government asking literally everyone to step in to back remain....the banks, various departments, celebrities, Obama, ally nations, BBC, the NHS, Jesus and his mates + the threats of world war 3, banking collapse, £3000+ a year poorer + 3m job risked + the roof caving in.....virtually every voice on earth saying 'stay in'.....and the public still voted out!

Imagine what the leave vote would have won by if the above lot didn't stick their noses in. Never seen anything like it, great stuff.

Jesus was for Remain? :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm - They pass laws on the people of this country without being elected by the people of this country.

Do you think we don't have a say in what proposals the EU put forward?

The European commission is made up from representatives of all member states.

There are two each from Britain, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, and one from each of the other states: Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Denmark, Austria, Greece, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Finland.

The representatives are prominent politicians appointed by their respective national governments.

The EU Parliament (whose representatives we do elect are responsible for this.

Legislative
    Passing EU laws, together with the Council of the EU, based on European Commission proposals
    Deciding on international agreements
    Deciding on enlargements
    Reviewing the Commission's work programme and asking it to propose legislation
    Supervisory
    Democratic scrutiny of all EU institutions
    Electing the Commission President and approving the Commission as a body. Possibility of voting a motion of censure, obliging the Commission to resign
    Granting discharge, i.e. approving the way EU budgets have been spent
    Examining citizens' petitions and setting up inquiries
    Discussing monetary policy with the European Central Bank
    Questioning Commission and Council
    Election observations
    Budgetary
    Establishing the EU budget, together with the Council
    Approving the EU's long-term budget, the "Multiannual Financial Framework"

We are not simply passive members with no say - laws are not simply foisted upon us. There is a purpose behind it all.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The UK is already bound by many international laws irrespective of EU membership : laws relating to human rights, workers rights, the environment, trade, finance and others, as well as having to follow the rules of the WTO, the IMF and the UN.

The idea of the UK being a lone pirate out on the high seas and answerable to nobody is complete nonsense.
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    The idea of the UK being a lone pirate out on the high seas and answerable to nobody is complete nonsense.

I think that a lot of people believe that is possible you know.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Liam Fox odious man, came across as a nasty piece of work?

And that Crispin Odey (billionaire?) the Hedge Fund manager supporting Vote Leave commissioning private polls so he could place bets. Ordinary people seem to be a plaything to him, it was said he made £220m on bonds over the Brexit vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The UK is already bound by many international laws irrespective of EU membership : laws relating to human rights, workers rights, the environment, trade, finance and others, as well as having to follow the rules of the WTO, the IMF and the UN.

At no time have I suggested the UK should be a lone pirate, please do not put words in my post that I have not put in my post.
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I could tell the Brexit vote was won by the media's brainwashing of the masses. Constant pro-Brexit hyperbola by The Express, Mail, Sun & many of Murdoch's media had a big impact on the vote. Alongside the inaccuracies perpetuated by the likes of Far age Gove & Boris, and the weak pro-EU leaders such as Cameron & Osborne.

From what I read, the only brainwashed people are those who voted Remain. The people who voted Leave thought for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you think we don't have a say in what proposals the EU put forward?

The European commission is made up from representatives of all member states.

There are two each from Britain, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain, and one from each of the other states: Ireland, Belgium, Luxembourg, Portugal, Denmark, Austria, Greece, Sweden, the Netherlands, and Finland.

The representatives are prominent politicians appointed by their respective national governments.

The EU Parliament (whose representatives we do elect are responsible for this.

Legislative
    Passing EU laws, together with the Council of the EU, based on European Commission proposals
    Deciding on international agreements
    Deciding on enlargements
    Reviewing the Commission's work programme and asking it to propose legislation
    Supervisory
    Democratic scrutiny of all EU institutions
    Electing the Commission President and approving the Commission as a body. Possibility of voting a motion of censure, obliging the Commission to resign
    Granting discharge, i.e. approving the way EU budgets have been spent
    Examining citizens' petitions and setting up inquiries
    Discussing monetary policy with the European Central Bank
    Questioning Commission and Council
    Election observations
    Budgetary
    Establishing the EU budget, together with the Council
    Approving the EU's long-term budget, the "Multiannual Financial Framework"

We are not simply passive members with no say - laws are not simply foisted upon us. There is a purpose behind it all.

Representative does not equal elected by the people and the fact remains that the people can not get rid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the allegation of Multi Millionaire UKIP supporter Aaron Banks telling people to join their local Conservative party and 'takeover'.

All the talk of taking back control but it looked like Banks & Crispin Odey never lost control they were after more control.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Representative does not equal elected by the people and the fact remains that the people can not get rid.

Are you saying MEP's aren't elected, that Farage bought his way into the EU Parliament?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At no time have I suggested the UK should be a lone pirate, please do not put words in my post that I have not put in my post.

All of the laws and rules that I mention above are laws that the UK has fully and freely signed up to, just as with the laws of the EU. You cannot belong to an international organisation and not follow their rules. Saying that because those international organisations were not elected by the British public, they have no authority to impose any laws on Britain is a total red herring. If you elect a government and they join an international organisation and agree to follow their rules, there is absolutely a democratic mandate for those rules.
  • Options
    ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone catch what Lord Soames said at the end ? Then he said, " I bet you won't show that " ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Are you saying MEP's aren't elected, that Farage bought his way into the EU Parliament?

Like another poster in this thread, I have at no time suggested that MEP's are not elected or that Nigel bought his seat. I hope that clears that up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Valerian wrote: »
    Did anyone catch what Lord Soames said at the end ? Then he said, " I bet you won't show that " ?

Something about Fouquet in Le Touquet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobMiles wrote: »
    From what I read, the only brainwashed people are those who voted Remain. The people who voted Leave thought for themselves.

Which happened to coincide with the headlines run by The Express et al for the last few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All of the laws and rules that I mention above are laws that the UK has fully and freely signed up to, just as with the laws of the EU. You cannot belong to an international organisation and not follow their rules. Saying that because those international organisations were not elected by the British public, they have no authority to impose any laws on Britain is a total red herring. If you elect a government and they join an international organisation and agree to follow their rules, there is absolutely a democratic mandate for those rules.

The UK is a member of the UN, the UN does not tell the UK it can't reduce VAT for example. The UK is a member of NATO, NATO does not tell the UK what VAT rates it should have. The EU does. The EU should be a free trade area and that is all.

The people of any country, not just the UK should elect a government that passes laws on the people of that country, if the people of that country do not like what the government is doing they can get rid, this is something we the people of EU countries can not do with the EU commission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK is a member of the UN, the UN does not tell the UK it can't reduce VAT for example. The UK is a member of NATO, NATO does not tell the UK what VAT rates it should have. The EU does. The EU should be a free trade area and that is all.

The people of any country, not just the UK should elect a government that passes laws on the people of that country, if the people of that country do not like what the government is doing they can get rid, this is something we the people of EU countries can not do with the EU commission.

If you want the EU just to be a trading bloc, then Brexit is totally the right decision (though even being a member of that trading bloc would mean accepting freedom of movement).
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want the EU just to be a trading bloc, then Brexit is totally the right decision (though even being a member of that trading bloc would mean accepting freedom of movement).

Well its up to the EU as to what it wants to be. All the UK wants is access, not membership.
  • Options
    ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something about Fouquet in Le Touquet.