Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Alan Brazil is like a dog with a bone with regard to FIFA - never heard him get so uptight and passionate about a football subject.

Crazy isn't it, it's not like he's averse to a hand-out or three himself:confused: He really is going to have to rein it in though, yesterday he [mistakenly?] said "Blatter" instead of Blazer [Chuck] implying Blatter was as guilty as CB, he quickly covered up his mistake but not for one moment sounding as though he meant it.

On the bright side it's better than churning out the details of upcoming matches:D
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    People want to calm down about FIFA for there are going to be some uncomfortable questions to come for a lot of FAs to come. For example the English FA need to explain why they were paying the wages of Peter Withe to manage the Thailand national team before the bidding for the 2022 World Cup. Now is that a bribe to try and ensure the Thai vote?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For Duncan Barkes fans:
    Duncan Barkes joins BBC London.

Former LBC and Talksport presenter Duncan Barkes is joining BBC London 94.9 to host the Late Show.

Duncan was at LBC for four years before Ian Collins took over his Late Show earlier this year. He’ll be on-air from 10pm till 1am Sunday to Thursday from Sunday 5 July.

Duncan said: “The BBC is a world-class broadcaster and I am proud to be joining the BBC London 94.9 team. Night-time radio has a special place in my heart and by joining the BBC I will be able to bring a new kind of late night broadcasting to the capital. It won’t be an endless diet of news and politics – it’ll be about real life and continuing to give nocturnal Londoners a voice on the airwaves.”

Duncan takes over from Simon Lederman who moves to the overnight slot (2am-6am). Current overnight presenter, James Max, has reduced his commitment to one night a week due to his increased work commitments elsewhere but will also provide cover on other programmes.

Editor David Robey added “Duncan Barkes has a strong radio following and is a welcome addition to the BBC London 94.9 line-up. Bringing Duncan on board will strengthen our position as the only radio station entirely dedicated to covering and discussing life in London.”
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Crazy isn't it, it's not like he's averse to a hand-out or three himself:confused: He really is going to have to rein it in though, yesterday he [mistakenly?] said "Blatter" instead of Blazer [Chuck] implying Blatter was as guilty as CB, he quickly covered up his mistake but not for one moment sounding as though he meant it.

On the bright side it's better than churning out the details of upcoming matches:D

Makes a change, normally he covers up his accusations by eating while he's talking :D hehehe. He was in the Coral tent this morning at Epsom. There definitely was a pinch of hypocrisy hearing him describe his freebies whilst criticising FIFA. Why he think anyone cares or wants to hear about the free booze he gets is beyond me.
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Makes a change, normally he covers up his accusations by eating while he's talking :D hehehe. He was in the Coral tent this morning at Epsom. There definitely was a pinch of hypocrisy hearing him describe his freebies whilst criticising FIFA. Why he think anyone cares or wants to hear about the free booze he gets is beyond me.

Am going to the Derby tomorrow so will keep a look out for Boozie and if I get the chance I will suggest he has a look at DS and see what a dedicated bunch of listeners think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Am going to the Derby tomorrow so will keep a look out for Boozie and if I get the chance I will suggest he has a look at DS and see what a dedicated bunch of listeners think

Ooh, enjoy your day Bangla! Shouldn't be too hard to spot that giant, purple head! :o
  • JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    The Daily Record online reported that he made some sort of racist remark on the show yesterday while discussing the Rooney Formula. Did anyone hear it?
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,867
    Forum Member
    Jerryn wrote: »
    The Daily Record online reported that he made some sort of racist remark on the show yesterday while discussing the Rooney Formula. Did anyone hear it?

Called black people "non whites"

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-alan-brazil-race-row-calling-black-managers-095946706--sow.html
  • *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,129
    Forum Member
    Just finished listening to the Johnny Vaughn show (Saturday Warm Up) and he thought he was being boring when in fact he was very interesting. He was talking about the history of fighting in Britain and for 15 to 20 minutes I sat here thinking we really do need more features like this on radio.

I don't know if Talk-Sport read these forums but, just in case they do; more of the same please. :)
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear the Birthday Spread back on H&J the other day. I always enjoyed Andy's tortured explanation of each candidate. Hope they do this more regularly again.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've hated Jose for the last 13 yrs, when his diving team done, My team & boozies out of winning the cup in 20.03

But That advert for BT every 10 minutes is ripping my Knitting !! >:(>:(>:(
  • JerrynJerryn Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    Always cheated never defeated :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    FrostyJim wrote: »

I am sure if he & others where on the FIFA gravy train you wouldn't hear so much from him about it, in fact it would be band from the station.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnny Vaughn going mental on the H and J show. Andy Jacobs doesn't know what to do.

By the way, the ought to bin those Quinn and Bingham Vanilla Ice trailers. They are terrible. Oh for the days of Greyfriars Ronnie (the trailer, that is, not the single cell organism ex-cricketer).
    Forum Member
    Yuk, dopey Quinn on instead of Murray and apparently Gaza will be on the show sometime so that is me off to LBC to listen to George Galloway. The arse licking that Kelly and Quinn will undoubtedly do is too much for me. Danny Kelly might like to hold his hand up and say that he did not help Gascoinge in any way back in the day when he and his mate Baker used to go out on drinking sessions with him and encourage him to be as daft as possible by pouring drink down his neck.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Yuk, dopey Quinn on instead of Murray and apparently Gaza will be on the show sometime so that is me off to LBC to listen to George Galloway. The arse licking that Kelly and Quinn will undoubtedly do is too much for me. Danny Kelly might like to hold his hand up and say that he did not help Gascoinge in any way back in the day when he and his mate Baker used to go out on drinking sessions with him and encourage him to be as daft as possible by pouring drink down his neck.

Absolutely Bangla, and let us not forget Chris Evans in all of this. Evans and Baker were very elitist in the 90s, but thankfully they have both moved on to better places. I guess we all grow up?
  • SarahKSarahK Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Laura* wrote: »
    Just finished listening to the Johnny Vaughn show (Saturday Warm Up) and he thought he was being boring when in fact he was very interesting. He was talking about the history of fighting in Britain and for 15 to 20 minutes I sat here thinking we really do need more features like this on radio.

I don't know if Talk-Sport read these forums but, just in case they do; more of the same please. :)

Not a huge fan to be honest. Its just all in jokes and idiots giggling most of the time. Don't like Max Rushdens show either.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,867
    Forum Member
    Not heard Gab Marcotti for a while - nice refreshing change from the norm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Not heard Gab Marcotti for a while - nice refreshing change from the norm.

Yeah it must be summer time, that's normally when the decent contributors on the station get a go while the normal dregs are on holidays. Gab is always quality and not used enough. One thing that did make me chuckle was the "When I said we were going to do 'Ask Gab' later and requested questions from the listeners, I meant football questions! Not 'What's your favourite cheese?' and 'Who's your favourite Avenger?'" hehehe :D
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear the Birthday Spread back on H&J the other day. I always enjoyed Andy's tortured explanation of each candidate. Hope they do this more regularly again.

I only caught up with this today - I too really enjoyed hearing a special revival of the Birthday Spread. Apparently playing H&J games from the past will be a regular feature of Thursday's shows during the summer, with last week's Birthday Spread going out at 2.15pm. At the end of today's show they trailed Sport or Nought for tomorrow, which I always enjoyed and am looking forward to hearing. In future weeks they'll be doing games like Escalado, 175 and The Fat Lady Sings.

It's a nice idea for them to bring back some of the old favourites for a special outing during a quiet, non-World Cup/European Championship summer, although I'm a touch surprised they've gone so early on bringing out the two most notable games in the Birthday Spread and Sport or Nought. I'm guessing they've gone early with them in order to give them both another airing late on in the summer before they bring this nostalgic feature to an end.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice idea for them to bring back some of the old favourites for a special outing .

:confused::confused:

for someone that bangs there drum @ every chance on this thread , even I heard them say( last thursday ) all the old stuff would be churned out over the summer months ??

up yer game fella ! :p
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused::confused:

for someone that bangs there drum @ every chance on this thread , even I heard them say( last thursday ) all the old stuff would be churned out over the summer months ??

up yer game fella ! :p

I didn't get chance to listen to their show much last week - although I happened to catch their Anthony Joshua interview just after the Birthday Spread as it turns out! As good as that was, I turned on at the wrong time! Thank goodness for talkSPORT Listen Again. ;-)
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adrian Durham arsehole of the year, time to get rid of this ****.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redunited wrote: »
    Adrian Durham arsehole of the year, time to get rid of this ****.

what is he doing now?
  • matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Appreciate he's not everyone's cup of tea but I find Johnny Vaughan's Warm Up show hilarious. Don't usually catch it live but always look forward to hearing the podcasts.
This discussion has been closed.