Options

Migrant Coverage

Comments

• Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    It's a lot of rubbish isn't it? Knee jerk reactions by people with inflated senses of their own importance. It's not as if these refugees will come and stay a couple of days. It's going to be years. They will have to be fed and clothed. Bills will be more expensive with more people in the house. Do people really think they will get money from councils to keep people in their spare rented rooms? After a few weeks or months when they want their home backmor realise they have people they don't like living in their homes what do they do? Ask for a swap? Ask them to go and live on the streets? Because there will be nowhere else if all the council houses and shelters are full of other Syrian refugees. I don't believe for a second that when faced with the reality of the situation, there will be people queuing up to extend a welcome to strangers into their houses.

I am a homeowner and have a spare room. Not be m not be getting it out to people I known both ng about to come and live.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    A Syrian in the home will be this season's must-have among celebrities.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    What a lovely idea. I would like to propose that any volunteers who miss out on the opportunity to adopt a Syrian be given the opportunity to adopt a homeless person instead.

Charity is for life - not just for bragging rights.
    That's the Twitterati and FB clan for you. I bet they're all clamouring to be the first to post a picture with their syrian family....;-)

I can hear all the cringy, sickly sweet heart warming "likes" to those photos if they ever happened, which of course they won't, because in the real world, the vast majority will not and could not open their front door to a whole family and the fact that they prob don't speak english would be the least of their problems.

It's so funny to think that now people have to jump through hopos to adopt and foster babies and kids that are waiting for a home right now in the UK, but yet doors are seemingly to be flung open in a welcome to strangers to your home?
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was quite a funny story on BBC Breakfast a few weeks ago about a family that took in a refugee in Calais. They had a 20 year old daughter and he'd make comments about how she was dressed inappropriately and ought to be married by now. They put it down to "cultural differences".
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard that Bob Geldorf is willing to give some Syrian's a room in his house.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    20,000 over 5 years is pretty meager in the scheme of things. The government obviously wanted to be seen to do something while also doing very little.

Apart from the £900million we've already poured into the refugee camps, you mean? That's pretty much more than the rest of Europe put together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Just heard that Bob Geldorf is willing to give some Syrian's a room in his house.

After all they've already been through too. :(
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So,

from 0

to 6,000

then 10,000

now 20,000

and the likelihood is more like 1 million.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Apart from the £900million we've already poured into the refugee camps, you mean? That's pretty much more than the rest of Europe put together.

Eh, we're also far richer than anyone other than Germany so that doesn't mean much, and we were directly involved with the area in the first place. I'm sure if Cameron could pay to not have any refugees he'd happily cough up a lot more.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    So,

from 0

to 6,000

then 10,000

now 20,000

and the likelihood is more like 1 million.

Troll or WUM?

Please discuss.
  • Options
    Ben_CaesarBen_Caesar Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    20,000 too many. This country has officially gone to the dogs...
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    After all they've already been through too. :(

Syria only 'weeks away' from Bono charity single warns UN :(
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Have you read any Guardian comment sections recently? Your eminently sensible suggestions would have you howled down as an uncaring racist.

Sometimes I'm actually embarrassed to read the damn thing :blush:

Yes, I have already had some spirited discussions with friends over this. Being a liberal is all very well, and I am very liberal in social matters, but there is a point where caring must be tempered with common sense. If the issue is people dying then why continue to enable the journeys that are killing them? If the conditions in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan (and inside Syria itself) are so bad, why spend £10000 a head (or whatever it is) on bringing and maintaining someone in the UK when you can spend the same amount and help ten+ people have a better quality of life closer to home and help them to (hopefully) return at some point?
  • Options
    Forum Member

The world needs to act, and fast. I don't think I can take Do they know it's Christmas V19.0
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Eh, we're also far richer than anyone other than Germany so that doesn't mean much, and we were directly involved with the area in the first place. I'm sure Cameron could pay to not have any refugees he'd happily cough up a lot more.
    We're not really because despite being in debt we're having to borrow money.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Where have you got this 'change of faith' from? Like UK, Germany is predominantly Christian but Islam is the second largest faith in the country. Just because someone relocates to another country doesn't mean they change their religious faith.

So converting from Islam to Christianity isn't changing faith?
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    There was quite a funny story on BBC Breakfast a few weeks ago about a family that took in a refugee in Calais. They had a 20 year old daughter and he'd make comments about how she was dressed inappropriately and ought to be married by now. They put it down to "cultural differences".

Can't control his trouser snake?

That is his problem not hers
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    Yes, I have already had some spirited discussions with friends over this. Being a liberal is all very well, and I am very liberal in social matters, but there is a point where caring must be tempered with common sense. If the issue is people dying then why continue to enable the journeys that are killing them? If the conditions in Turkey, Lebanon and Jordan (and inside Syria itself) are so bad, why spend £10000 a head (or whatever it is) on bringing and maintaining someone in the UK when you can spend the same amount and help ten+ people have a better quality of life closer to home and help them to (hopefully) return at some point?

Well yes, I completely agree with you but you know the saying 'keep your mind open but not so open that your brains fall out'.

Imo, there are a lot of people walking around with empty heads right now.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could be letting a thief or a rapist into your home.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I was in a house share with a turkish born but German citizen. He was a muslim

He told me about his 'friend' who was unable to stand in the same room as a beautiful woman and was generally going on about girls dressing provocatively.

He also was rather angry about British invasion and we had a heated argument.

Shame because away from politics he was quite a funny bloke
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    Turning the table around and looking at the long term future, if you were Syrian would you seriously want to go back to live there? There are hardly any buildings left standing.....apart from Assads palace. I wonder if his British in-laws still holiday there?
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From House of Commons document regarding Syrians;The ONS come up with the same figures too.

That is from the resettlement program. 5000 Syrians have claimed asylum in the country.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Thankfully, all those violent young men have miraculously disappeared & have been replaced by photogenic young professional couples with cute kids. :kitty:

:D:D:D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Same here. The Headmaster ran the school and ruled it with a rod of iron. Firm but fair would be the best description. We had a uniform and it was as strict as my sisters school. Well run, well disciplined.

You're going to love this thread but more so the replies from Bill Clinton and a couple of others :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=79535332#post79535332
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    So converting from Islam to Christianity isn't changing faith?
    Who is? That's what i'm asking. Has it now suddenly become a compulsory requirement for all Syrians refugees of Muslim faith to convert? Germany already has a resident population of Muslims. Whilst they don't have full official state recognition of their faith, it doesn't stop them being resident.
This discussion has been closed.