Who has to work Christmas Day?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
Forum Member
Ello...

As the title says really. I am one of the unfortunate ones who has to work Christmas Day, quite gutted really but then someone has to do it!

What job do you do which means you have to work it? I'm a Catering Assistant in a hospital.

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some/all of the emergency services will be working to cater for a lot of idiots who've drank and create fights and then get cut or bashed up. It's a bloody shame when the people who work for the emergency services can't have a single day off to celebrate Christmas. Okay, there will be some genuine cases, but a lot of them will just be idiots who've drank well past their limit and have been violent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    No ,,Not me!! :D
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm working Christmas day. I've just started a new job as a carer in a residential home for people with learning disabilities. Before that I was a home carer, so I'm used to having to work over Christmas and I actually quite enjoy it. The extra pay is a bonus too. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I'm working Christmas day. I've just started a new job as a carer in a residential home for people with learning disabilities. Before that I was a home carer, so I'm used to having to work over Christmas and I actually quite enjoy it. The extra pay is a bonus too. ;)

Very true, the extra money does come in handy!
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    the elves in the sleigh maintenance dept.
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    No, not Christmas Day, but I do have to work on Boxing Day from 2pm until midnight (newspapers). I am also working on New Years Eve night. When midnight comes and everyone is shouting out all the New Year greetings, I will be alone in the office. Oh well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im working christmas day. I work in a resturant, so will be serving all the lazy buggers who would rather go out for christmas dinner then cook it themselves.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Christmas day but thankfully I took boxing day as a holiday, I should have been starting at 6am!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    My mum - she is a residential care worker and deals with the meds.
  • Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swtbabee wrote: »
    Ello...

As the title says really. I am one of the unfortunate ones who has to work Christmas Day, quite gutted really but then someone has to do it!

What job do you do which means you have to work it? I'm a Catering Assistant in a hospital.

I don't have to every year, only once every 4 years, however I choose to swap each year with other engineers to do their Christmas day and News Years Day shift, they don't want to work it and I'm happy to work it.
  • FOXPRESIDENTFOXPRESIDENT Posts: 4,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a bit of overtime xmas eve night into XMAS day and also to cover for someome who could not get time off. Also doing overtime on boxing day. On nights NYE and also NYD night. I don't mind NYE night we have a bit a laugh at work. I'm 999 services, I'l be nice and warm in the office though. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not this year. I had the very important job of processing peoples phone bills. Most callers were not Christian and pissed off at how this country stopped at Christmas. I never got a "merry Christmas " :( Still it was only a four hour shift.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have to every year, only once every 4 years, however I choose to swap each year with other engineers to do their Christmas day and News Years Day shift, they don't want to work it and I'm happy to work it.

What kind of engineer are you, if you don't mind me asking? :)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I worked for many years every Christmas Day etc... in hotels, pubs etc.
    I now work in retail a proper 9 - 5 job....it's bliss! ALL of Christmas off!
    I feel for all those that have to work it though! :)

Good for those that still do it!
  • electronelectron Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any one in essential services rostered on shift.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    My heart goes out to anyone who has to work Xmas Day, and the biggest respect to you. Not sure I could do it myself.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sister-in-law is working Christmas day, out of choice, because she wants new years off instead, she's a nurse type person..
  • mr.ianmr.ian Posts: 4,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. Nightshift security for network rail. 12 years as a chef before that. Just another work day for me but double time and a day off in lieu.
  • Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swtbabee wrote: »
    Ello...

I don't...but I would do it for FREE just to pass the time away. (no one yet believes me that I would do) :rolleyes:

I loathe december the 25th (We dont do christmas whatsoever through choice)...and given the option to do something that day would be nothing but a bonus to me.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I am working the whole of the Christmas and New Year period. My rotored days off, my family will be back at work. I'm devastated but I have no choice. I'm not even allowed an hour off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a nurse working on a NHS ward, i'm working Christmas Day night and Boxing Day night plus New Years Eve night, but hey ho, ive worked it before and its always a laugh.
  • flickpotflickpot Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to own a small Hotel in North wales, we had no option but too work over the xmas period we needed the xtra cash !, thank god that we sold the place so not me working this xmas :):) for once in 10 yrs...
  • hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I'm working - Airline
  • richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not working as such but will be on call. Didn't do anything for it last year but do get paid or being on call and also get two days off in lieu for the bank holidays!
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never had to work Christmas Day, but I have had to work Xmas Eve twice and Boxing Day twice.