Options

If I turn instant rewind off

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
Forum Member
✭✭
does turning off instant rewind stop you from pausing live tv, or pressing record in the middle of a programme will it record the programme from the begining

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    does turning off instant rewind stop you from pausing live tv, or pressing record in the middle of a programme will it record the programme from the begining

You can still pause and rewind to the time you pressed pause.

You can record from the time you press record but the buffer will be empty so you will not get earlier parts of the programme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    it will stop you from pressing record halfway through a proggramme as there is no recorded buffer to go back on.
    i leave mine set at 30 mins and its worked fine up to now
  • Options
    NectarNectar Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spudmorley wrote: »
    it will stop you from pressing record halfway through a proggramme as there is no recorded buffer to go back on.

It won't stop you from pressing record halfway through. But it will only record from the point that you press record. Which is actually what a lot of people want, and is why people often move up or down channels and back again before pressing record, so they don't end up recording, and then having to fast forward through, half an hour of a programme they have already seen when they come to watch the bit they have recorded.
  • Options
    johnny777johnny777 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I always leave instant rewind turned off. People may disagree, but I think the constant caching to disk all of the time can only be a bad thing. It's not a feature I particularly want to use much, which is why I took this decision.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pointless turning it off to save the HDD, even if you have it disabled, the STB constantly calls upon the HDD to cache the raw transport stream while the box processes the specific channel..
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to turn if off otherwise my Thomson (what a surprise) misbehaves..in conjunction with turning anytime off as well otherwise I get the dreaded 'no signal' every day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have IR and Anytime switched off so that my Thomson box isn't flaky most of the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnny777 wrote: »
    I always leave instant rewind turned off. People may disagree, but I think the constant caching to disk all of the time can only be a bad thing. It's not a feature I particularly want to use much, which is why I took this decision.

I cannot disagree with you if you don't want to use the feature; however, when many people say this it always sounds a bit like buying a car and not wanting to drive it too often so it lasts longer. It's a disk drive, don't nurse it, write to it, read from it, thrash it, it might fail at some point, but being a disk drive is its job :)

I'm always gobsmacked at how long fridges can last, cooling all day and night all year! It can't be good for them :)

Of course, grimsbyseagulls and Orbitalzone have their own valid reasons for turning it off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    coolguy121 wrote: »
    It's pointless turning it off to save the HDD, even if you have it disabled, the STB constantly calls upon the HDD to cache the raw transport stream while the box processes the specific channel..
    That's nonsense. Nothing is cached to disk when watching live.
    Usage is also not particularly significant when it comes to failure rates. Actually there is evidence that disks that are used less frequently are actually more prone to failure - Google research paper.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pcbbc wrote: »
    Usage is also not particularly significant when it comes to failure rates. Actually there is evidence that disks that are used less frequently are actually more prone to failure - Google research paper.

That was a cracking read, pcbbc, thanks. I should point out that this is very much an academic type paper and must be read as such. Readers should note the great number of qualifications (e.g. "in the context of a professionally managed data center (sic.) deployment") and caveats introduced by the authors. So, readers should do what pcbbc has done and introduce its figures and findings as "evidence". Not, as many people will do :rolleyes:, quote the report as absolute conclusive proof. However, I'm convinced ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcbbc wrote: »
    That's nonsense. Nothing is cached to disk when watching live.

My post was based on user feedback.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd-sky-3d/1035591-disabling-hdd-using-sky-hd-freeview-box.html

What I meant to say was the STB uses the HDD all the time regardless of the rewind function..

I would agree that a time delay exists when pausing live TV with rewind disabled, indicating that the STB has to start buffering MPEG data prior to pausing the picture...(none present with rewind enabled)

I only remembered the above post because of the novel way in which the SATA was modified :)

I think it's fair to say the HDD access is reduced, rather than stopped, when disabling the + features though :D