Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing ever gets done, though.

Supposed improvements are talked about until the cows come home, but they're never put into practice, regardless of whether they're worth doing.

If/when the National Performance Centre opens, that'll be a start. But thanks to our reputation for monumentally cocking things up, I'll remain cynical unless it starts producing tangible results.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Your probably right I knew there would be references to brown Fletcher Morrison but those three have been part of numerous failed campaigns now.

We also need to get away from the constant picking of the wigan. They are all guaranteed a start just because they are on thee books of a struggling English premier side

Just criticising players isn't much use unless we can suggest better ones and moaning incessantly about the national team being terrible isn't going to make it any better. Instead of wallowing in misery, there are actually some small things we could change that would make a big difference. Playing a genuine defensive midfielder would be a start. We put out a side tonight in which the midfield didn't have a single player who could tackle or defend properly. In the modern game that's just as idiotic as Levein's decision to play without a striker in Prague.

We have poor players, but a far bigger problem in my opinion is what happens off the park. Any manager who dares to play a balanced team is pilloried for being negative, so we end up with completely disjointed setups like the one we had tonight. If we're as bad as the results suggest then we should be putting ten men behind the ball and playing on the counter-attack. We certainly shouldn't be playing a load of attacking midfielders and trying to hammer the opposition. Greece circa 2004 is the model we should be trying to emulate, not Brazil 1970.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shocking result when you consider that Wales were playing into a blizzard in that 2nd half and we should have got a massive boost from scoring just before half time.

I think we have possibly reached an all time low in the Scottish National team and some of those players that think it is job done plying their trade in the EPL or abroad are kidding themselves ...

Thing is I don't really see anybody we are missing apart from the best Scottish striker on current form Leigh Griffiths who is deemed surplus to requirements at a team 2nd from bottom of the Championship ... worrying times but when you consider the wages some of these players are on I actually start to question if they are actually that bothered.

Didn't look like it on tonights performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    Just criticising players isn't much use unless we can suggest better ones and moaning incessantly about the national team being terrible isn't going to make it any better. Instead of wallowing in misery, there are actually some small things we could change that would make a big difference. Playing a genuine defensive midfielder would be a start. We put out a side tonight in which the midfield didn't have a single player who could tackle or defend properly. In the modern game that's just as idiotic as Levein's decision to play without a striker in Prague.

We have poor players, but a far bigger problem in my opinion is what happens off the park. Any manager who dares to play a balanced team is pilloried for being negative, so we end up with completely disjointed setups like the one we had tonight. If we're as bad as the results suggest then we should be putting ten men behind the ball and playing on the counter-attack. We certainly shouldn't be playing a load of attacking midfielders and trying to hammer the opposition. Greece circa 2004 is the model we should be trying to emulate, not Brazil 1970.

I can't really agree with that - irrespective of our formation we should be putting out a team that is capable of outplaying Wales at home. Whether we get the end result is another kettle of fish entirely.

They have outplayed us for the last 2 outings and they are a team who will probably get destroyed from Belgium, Croatia and Serbia (again).

The fact that the only points they have in this group is against us should tell you where we are right now though ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    I can't really agree with that - irrespective of our formation we should be putting out a team that is capable of outplaying Wales at home. Whether we get the end result is another kettle of fish entirely.

They have outplayed us for the last 2 outings and they are a team who will probably get destroyed from Belgium, Croatia and Serbia (again).

The fact that the only points they have in this group is against us should tell you where we are right now though ...

This is the thing I don't get. On the one hand we keep moaning about being terrible, but on the other we think we should be putting a team out that can beat teams like Wales (admittedly a poor side) without any trouble. If we are that bad then why shouldn't we play defensively?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the thing I don't get. On the one hand we keep moaning about being terrible, but on the other we think we should be putting a team out that can beat teams like Wales (admittedly a poor side) without any trouble. If we are that bad then why shouldn't we play defensively?

I thought we did play defensively.:confused:

1-0 up at home with your opposition playing into a blizzard and minus their top player - I certainly hope that wasn't us going for the jugular ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought we did play defensively.:confused:

1-0 up at home with your opposition playing into a blizzard and minus their top player - I certainly hope that wasn't us going for the jugular ...

In what way was that midfield defensive? The fact that we only scored once doesn't make it negative, it's a symptom of the team not being set up properly in the first place.

Every good international side plays with defensive midfielders - we don't play with any and then still think it's not attacking enough.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we have not had anyone in our midfield for years who can string a few passes together forwards. That seems to a be problem and the team always looks slow laborious and unfit
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet Strachan wishes that England game wasn't happening. That could be brutal!!

I just wish those at the top were honest. Scottish football needs an honest appraisal of where it is right now in regard to the quality of player on display. I seriously doubt any other footballing mad nation would of done so little in 20 years as the decline in standards continued to drop year by year. Are these managers in denial or just honestly think the players on display are better than we all see as you gotta be crazy to take the job on.

When Levien said he thought scotland could win every game in this group he obviously was just messing? Why would anyone with a half a brain say such a thing? I don't think there is any group possible where Scotland can win every game.

Even when I hear the jokers on SSB talk about scotland there is way too much emphasis put on the manager and who his picking rather than the pathetic players available. Hearing pundits, journalists and fans talk about how many players play in England is beyond a joke.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    I bet Strachan wishes that England game wasn't happening. That could be brutal!!

I just wish those at the top were honest. Scottish football needs an honest appraisal of where it is right now in regard to the quality of player on display. I seriously doubt any other footballing mad nation would of done so little in 20 years as the decline in standards continued to drop year by year. Are these managers in denial or just honestly think the players on display are better than we all see as you gotta be crazy to take the job on.

When Levien said he thought scotland could win every game in this group he obviously was just messing? Why would anyone with a half a brain say such a thing? I don't think there is any group possible where Scotland can win every game.

Even when I hear the jokers on SSB talk about scotland there is way too much emphasis put on the manager and who his picking rather than the pathetic players available. Hearing pundits, journalists and fans talk about how many players play in England is beyond a joke.

That seems to be the main benchmark if you play in England you get in the squad, if you are at at Premier League team you have a good chance of starting irrespective of club form or whether you are getting a game for them on a regular basis
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,121
    Forum Member
    Anyone watch the Stirling V Sevco game? another embarassment to Scotland it was. Please dear god stop showing this level of Scottish football on national TV.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 199,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glasgow67 wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Stirling V Sevco game? another embarassment to Scotland it was. Please dear god stop showing this level of Scottish football on national TV.

And they want 20% more next year, to sit & watch that dross ! :confused:
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • glasgow67glasgow67 Posts: 6,121
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »

Hope they catch the gunman.
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://i47.tinypic.com/l9xzq.gif

Living up to his nickname.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »

GET UP YOU PUSSY :mad:
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    http://i47.tinypic.com/l9xzq.gif

Living up to his nickname.

Sevconians getting worse :D
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    glaschelle wrote: »
    Jings that was brutal!!! New manager but same old Scotland!!

Gordon Strachan should disassociate himself from this bunch right now!
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    was at hampden last night all i really have to say about that performance was f***ing embarrassing. time to tell the likes of Caldwell, Miller, Burke to get tae f***.
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    There isnt a manager in the world that can justify bringing on Kenny Miller ahead of Jordan Rhodes in a scenario where we are supposed to be building for the future.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kenny miller continuing to be picked is nothing short of a disgrace.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can understand why WGS put Kenny Miller on, with the winter conditions the players should've been able to easily spot the orange glow of the Scotland striker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In what way was that midfield defensive? The fact that we only scored once doesn't make it negative, it's a symptom of the team not being set up properly in the first place.

Every good international side plays with defensive midfielders - we don't play with any and then still think it's not attacking enough.

The midfield was defensive in the way it actually played - defensively ... it really is that simple and not sure why you can't grasp that.:confused:

Unless you are going to tell me it was an attacking midfield showing that was creating chance after chance.

Are you seriously saying adding a densive midfielder in there would have made us play any better because it looked like we were inviting the Welsh onto us for most of the game and it wasn't through superb counter-attacking either on their part.

We are far too negative and when the game was there to be won on both occasions we didn't have a clue how to finish the Welsh off merely choosing to try and limp over the line ...
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 199,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We are far too negative ...

Your the kind of fan that ............ Ally lurves .......... that knows nowt about footie ! :p
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was working at both Hampden last night and Ibrox today, and I love reading all the comments here!

Last night was entertaining from a work point of view and today was so bloody boring!!! I was on the segregation and both sets of fans were so boring, watching the bloody game!!
This discussion has been closed.