Great British Railway Journeys-Series 3

Comments

• VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Yeah was another good ep that, those ships carrying 10,000 containers :eek:

Yes, I had no idea about the extent of Felixstowe- it had me wondering what else of note in the UK we don't see on television; probably a heck of a lot.
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, excellent. As I live in East Anglia, this week's programmes are of even more interest to me than normal (and that's saying something, as I am among the series biggest fans).

I now realise how much goes into making what looks like such simple journeys actually happen.

In Bradshaw's day, no doubt trains did regularly run from A to B, with stops in between to hop off at and look around. But not now in this neck of the woods. To do some of the trips this week have involved changing onto different lines, and with timetables that are anything but customer friendly. In East Anglia, the term "integrated transport system" is a complete unknown.

So I am full of admiration for MP for always appearing so cool, calm and collected.

As to those container ships. I have worked in Felixtowe, and have been to the container port. It is unbelievable! The logistics are incredible, and those ships have to be seen to truly appreciate their size.

I love this thread. Isn't it nice to know that I am not an anorak with my love of this programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mention of the 'poll-tax' and a politician losing a head , how history repeats itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781- I love this thread. Isn't it nice to know that I am not an anorak with my love of this programme.

Britain has a wonderful and diverse history and the more we see of it on TV the better IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Agatha Christie 'whodunit' on the train, in the next episode, it gets better everyday.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hamigo wrote: »
    Mention of the 'poll-tax' and a politician losing a head , how history repeats itself.

Amazing how long that skull has survived for.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    I liked the Flour Lady Hannah, today...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

Same, and the hottie who he got into that jacket :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I missed that, i was looking up my Bradshaw's Guide.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The helicopter shot of the train coming into Chelmsford must have flown over my house!
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great start to the new series....and long may it stay, at it's regular time slot...:)

Loved the Reedham Swing Bridge.

Worked there, (and Somerleyton and Oulton Broad Bridges) for many years, and there is an 'art' in swinging the bridge(s) get too heavy handed and you can be in all sorts of problems when the cable comes off!

When you 'passed out' to work the boxes after tarining, you had to swuing the bridge 3 times, if you banged it when shutting it so trains could run, more than once, then you failed, and had to wait a few more weeks for the Inspector to come and examine you again !

Reedham also had (until the past couple of years) no running water, Signalman had to walk across the bridge to a tap and fill a large plastic jug, which was also used to 'flush' the loo!

But working there on Summer's evening was brilliant, not so good in the Winter though!
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD shots of the pair of Class 47's and a short rake of coaches running along the Breydon were teriffic too !
  • colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Shame he didn't stop in my home town Colchester in tonights show. Closest he got was stopping at Marks Tey to change trains! When he was in Sudbury I thought he could have gone to Gainsborough's house and look at his art work. But I really enjoy this show - nice and relaxing:)
  • mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Because he attempts to follow the "great" journeys as detailed by George Bradshaw in the book Bradshaw's Guide. :)
    Doesn't it just mean railway journeys of Great Britain?? The 'Great' in GB refers to the size of the island not the modern meaning of something really outstanding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too,

MP seems to attract the hotties on his travels.:):)
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were visiting the Iron Bridge in Telford a year or so ago when Michael Portillo was there filming. Has there been a programme about his visit there? Perhaps an earlier series?
  • VientreVientre Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im sure there has been if i remember rightly in series two.
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hamigo wrote: »

;)

loving this series too
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikesuffs wrote: »
    Doesn't it just mean railway journeys of Great Britain?? The 'Great' in GB refers to the size of the island not the modern meaning of something really outstanding.
    Yes, thinking about it, you could be spot on.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes,very fit indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he wasn't wearing that hideous pink jacket last night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »

He went for the shirt instead :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He went for the shirt instead :p

Almost as bad.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »

It was strange that he wore jackets all through the programmes until the day that it rained and for some reason he was only wearing a shirt that day!

Anyway, I am really enjoying this series, it's one of those gentle but interesting programmes where the presenter's enthusiasm makes it all the more enjoyable. :)
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Worrying to think that they are mostly imports, probably from China, not many exports.:cry: