Benefits Street: C4 6th Jan 9pm

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/benefits-street/episode-guide

Yay, more benefits bashing, from the people that brought us 'Benefits Britain'.

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Next week on Four, Tax Avoider Avenue"

Is not something we'll ever hear.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 are obsessed with benefit bashing.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is brilliant! Trust me.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Channel 4 are obsessed with benefit bashing.

Or informing taxpayers how their hard earned money is being spent and that such places and people exist ?
  • Lucylocket88Lucylocket88 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Yawn. Yet again, another boring benefit bashing show. How boring. Where are the tax avoiders shows? There is no balance at all, is there.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    This is brilliant! Trust me.

Are you in it :D
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Where are the tax avoiders shows? There is no balance at all, is there.

If there was a celebrity version. I'd watch :blush:
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or informing taxpayers how their hard earned money is being spent and that such places and people exist ?

Welfare constitutes a tiny amount of public spending, even smaller still when you break it down into those who abuse the system.

The biggest drain on the tax system are the mega-buck corporations who pay minuscule amounts to the government coffers in comparison to their profits.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,150
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd do a show about coffin-dodger's. I mean, they're the ones who are really sucking the social security system dry aren't they?

Living to 85 = 20 years of pension and pension credit, rattling away in council house to large for them, and clogging up our hospitals and doctor's surgeries with their general oldness costs society a whole lot more than a couple of chavs who spend their JSA on **** and cider.

I don't believe that there should be a retirement age - you work until you drop. Retiring is a form of weakness.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welfare constitutes a tiny amount of public spending, even smaller still when you break it down into those who abuse the system.

The biggest drain on the tax system are the mega-buck corporations who pay minuscule amounts to the government coffers in comparison to their profits.

Well maybe, but an expose on Starbucks or Tesco not paying enough tax pales into insignificance TV wise compared to following the seedy antics of the well fed underclass of foul mouthed slatterns, sub-crims, drug addicts and unintelligible immigrants.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yawn. Yet again, another boring benefit bashing show. How boring. Where are the tax avoiders shows? There is no balance at all, is there.

Don't understand why people think the two balance each other out?
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These type of shows never show people struggling with life on benefits. They only show people looking like they live it up.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd do a show about coffin-dodger's. I mean, they're the ones who are really sucking the social security system dry aren't they?

Living to 85 = 20 years of pension and pension credit, rattling away in council house to large for them, and clogging up our hospitals and doctor's surgeries with their general oldness costs society a whole lot more than a couple of chavs who spend their JSA on **** and cider.

I don't believe that there should be a retirement age - you work until you drop. Retiring is a form of weakness.

I'm not going to dignify the majority of your post. I will say that I worked for 50+ years and didn't retire until I was forced into redundancy. During my working years I paid taxes, NI and superannuation. Why can't I enjoy my pittance without someone like you resenting me?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not looking good based on the trailers so far.

Looks almost as bad as the channel 5 programme 'On Benefits and Proud'.
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Well there's no shortage of celebrities doing it is there?:D Some even get honours in spite of it.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I'm not going to dignify the majority of your post. I will say that I worked for 50+ years and didn't retire until I was forced into redundancy. During my working years I paid taxes, NI and superannuation. Why can't I enjoy my pittance without someone like you resenting me?

I think you've taken that post far too seriously.
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scraping the barrell now, well and truly.

New year, same old ''Let's vilify everyone on benefits'' rubbish, provoking the Great-British attitude of workers standing on a soapbox to tell everyone around they pay taxes and work...where they're then awarded a gold medal as everyone listening applauds them and throws them a week-long street party...
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    In reality they are cutting people benefits badly. Barely enough to live on. No prospect of work for many just many years on the breadline. This prog looks like it shows only rough people on benefits. No doubt they will have rubbish in their back yards, loads of pets, tattoos, swear a lot, loads of kids. Not everyone is like this. They should give people a proper amount to live on. They no there will never be full employment
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

Yes, I think the original post was more about expressing a sense of irony.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    I echo your post except that I retired at 66 due to ill health - I loved my job and would have worked for as long as the Company would have me. Those who are receiving a Government Pension now, have paid their dues, which is more than can be said for those who live on benefits.
    :confused:
    Whereas you are not taking it seriously enough.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »

Maybe you want to sort out your celeb obsession and get a sense of proportion about what's important in the scheme of things?
    £35bn shortfall.

Anyway, won't be watching this, not sure what Channel 4 are 'after', but I can't trust their editing these days, if there's a sensationalist angle they can take.
    Whatever comes out if it, I'll end up viewing with suspicion, so best not to bother watching.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member

Yeah - bring back the workhouse.
    And so few do now so there will be no pension.
    No - it had to be said.
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Yes, I think the original post was more about expressing a sense of irony.
    Well the irony was lost on me - far too many people think they are supporting pensioners, when in fact pensioners have been contributing towards their pension for decades.
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    In reality they are cutting people benefits badly. Barely enough to live on. No prospect of work for many just many years on the breadline. This prog looks like it shows only rough people on benefits. No doubt they will have rubbish in their back yards, loads of pets, tattoos, swear a lot, loads of kids. Not everyone is like this. They should give people a proper amount to live on. They no there will never be full employment

My best friend of 25 years took her life due to the benefits changes. She could barely function, but because she could breathe and walk, she should be in work?

The fact that people jeer and think it's a good thing makes me want to strangle people. There are people DYING. Tax avoidance compared to benefits fraud or wastage doesn't even COMPARE.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You what?

Welfare accounts for £112 billion a year (of a total of £720 billion a year)and is only slightly less than healthcare spending.

Whilst I agree with the tax dodgers I do not see how this can be used to effectively say that welfare fraud is acceptable.

I think both issues should be addressed not just one or the other.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »

Sorry but no! Why should I and millions of others who work to support ourselves (often having to do without certain things to financially survive) be forced to pay even more money to those are able to work but choose not to do so.