Options

Doctor/Companion combos

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Rory came back, I'd love to see him as a regular next season. There's nothing in the rulebook that says it has to be strictly Doctor + 1 each season and it would be even nicer to have two companions for a whole season for once rather than flipping in and out of episodes like Martha did in Season 4 and Rory in this Series. :)

I'd like to see Rory as a proper companion too. Three characters is fine as long as they are all full characters and Rory is full imo.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I think a trio in the Tardis is not such a bad thing, It's worked ok in the past.
    What I'd love to have seen (ain't gonna happen) is what Donna (my fav. Companion) would make of Matt Smith!
    I feel that if she called him "Space-man" he would be hurt!
    She'd probably treat him like her baby brother instead:D
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aardvark85 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be that way, consider Davison, Fielding and Sutton.

That trio only appears in three stories! And in one of those stories, Tegan is away in Amsterdam while the Doctor and Nyssa are on Gallifrey. Snakedance is the only opportunity to really see teh three of them as a standalone team (excellent story, due on DVD shortly). They have Adric or Turlough with them in all other stories.

If Rory came back, I'd love to see him as a regular next season. There's nothing in the rulebook that says it has to be strictly Doctor + 1 each season and it would be even nicer to have two companions for a whole season for once rather than flipping in and out of episodes like Martha did in Season 4 and Rory in this Series. :)

Yes. That would be a really different dynamic: to have two companions for a whole year, instead of picking up and putting down characters here and there. That's why the earlier series have not had a proper chance to explore a companion: there is too much additional coming and going.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    I think its a bit hard to completely comapre the past series and the reasons for a seemingly longer stay....current companions have at least ten stories in a series, while the classic series the most it would be is 7 or 8, except for earlier Hartnell series's which sometimes consisted of 10.

That's true-but the eight stories in, for instance, Hartnell's first series are spread over 42 weeks, which even allowing for the fact that two 25 minute episodes roughly equates to one 45 minute one, still means the equivalent of 21 episodes, or a series and a half in current terms. The first Troughton series was down to seven stories but still ran for 35 weeks, the equivalent of just over seventeen episodes these days. So there's no real basis for comparison. Vicki, for instance, appeared in only nine stories but 38 episodes, equal to 19 new series episodes-three more than Donna managed in total, even counting return appearances, despite the fact that Donna appeared in twelve stories. I think most of the new series companions have had less screen time overall the than the majority of the classic ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I did acknowledge there had been change in the classic series, especially during the sixties. (Season 3 in particular!). Yes, the Pertwee/Manning did have the Unit personnel as you rightly say, and also Harry with Baker/Sladen. I don't think any of these extra characters really changed the dynamic between those two pairings. In Revenge Of The Cybermen, The Doctor and Sarah's banter was as strong as it was in following stories.

The point I was making really was that those two pairings were together for three series, okay, maybe you had a point about the episodes and all that, I was just talking about the stability of those three seasons each of those pairings had together and how nice it would be just for once to have some of that in the new series. :)

It would be great to see two or even one companion/Doctor over at least two series....what I was just trying to argue that it is something, due to the style in productions...very hard to compare....
    That's true-but the eight stories in, for instance, Hartnell's first series are spread over 42 weeks, which even allowing for the fact that two 25 minute episodes roughly equates to one 45 minute one, still means the equivalent of 21 episodes, or a series and a half in current terms. The first Troughton series was down to seven stories but still ran for 35 weeks, the equivalent of just over seventeen episodes these days. So there's no real basis for comparison. Vicki, for instance, appeared in only nine stories but 38 episodes, equal to 19 new series episodes-three more than Donna managed in total, even counting return appearances, despite the fact that Donna appeared in twelve stories. I think most of the new series companions have had less screen time overall the than the majority of the classic ones.

I agree they had more time, not denying that at all.....If they had decided to split the new series like that too, we probably would have got something similar....just like when they were thinking about splitting the first series into two...if they had done that then technichally we would have got two series with the same Doctor and companion...

It will be interesting to see how long Karen and Matt stay for...wouldn't mind them staying for many series'...for me they are the best thing about this new era....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Amy as the companion, she bounces off the doctor really well and I have no issues with her current characterisation. Although I'm no fan of Rory, I'll admit that the trio also worked well so I wouldn't mind it either way.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am quite fond of Amy, she is a flawed character, but that is intended. and part of what makes me like her frankly. Can't top Donna, of course, but above series 2 Rose and Martha.

Anyway, my favourite combo is Ten and Donna. In terms of classic who, Two and Jamie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That trio only appears in three stories! And in one of those stories, Tegan is away in Amsterdam while the Doctor and Nyssa are on Gallifrey. Snakedance is the only opportunity to really see teh three of them as a standalone team (excellent story, due on DVD shortly). They have Adric or Turlough with them in all other stories.

I thought that might be the case but had managed to edit Adric successfully. Turlough only counts as a companion when he's not being a pawn IMO.