I think I have spotted what we are missing in Episode One

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »
    The only thing that's obvious to me from that episode is that there is no way young Amy would be left alone in that house...

Maybe when the Doc mentioned that if you fall through the crack in time then it is worse then death (because you will never have even existed) he has basically told us what has happened to Amy's family... mmmmm

The crack in Amy's bedroom led to the Atraxi Prison not to the end of time as the one in ToA/F&S did.

So if Amy's parents fell through that they are in the Atraxi prison.

Plus Amelia could still remember her Mother which she wouldn't have done* if she was wiped from existance.

*Unless they are saying that because Amy would go on to be a Time Traveller her ability to remember people erased from time (as seen F&S) was also something her pretimetravelling younger self could do as well. A bit like Donna hearing the heartbeats before the metacrisis thingy.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    *Unless they are saying that because Amy would go on to be a Time Traveller her ability to remember people erased from time (as seen F&S) was also something her pretimetravelling younger self could do as well. A bit like Donna hearing the heartbeats before the metacrisis thingy.

Hmmm. There's been plenty of speculation that little Amelia travels with the Doctor after the very first time they met, but before she got picked up as an adult - anybody put any thought into the idea that she got picked up (by the Doc, or by some other time traveller) when she was even younger? Like, too young to remember, before her parents disappeared?

(Of course they would have to explain why she still existed, if her parents never did.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    There's a scene in the kitchen where the Doctor says something like: "Amelia Pond. Sounds like a name in a fairy tale."

It just registered in my brain for some reason and I remembered it again with the mention of fairy tales to River Song. Probably nothing. LOL!:o
  • ducturductur Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_1971 wrote: »
    If it's meant to be something where we go "how did he get away with that" then I think you've worked out what it is. It's meant to be something obvious.

All this talk about extra lights, blinking lights, a colour flashes on the screen for a millisecond, a chimney is shaped like the tardis light, are far too obscure for the average viewer to spot without having to over analyse the episode.

Very true, though of all the people who post on DS, apart from me there has only been one other person who has commented on the second flight of stairs that go up to the non-existent attic in Amelia's house... Is it that no-one else gives my observation any credence, or are people too embarrassed at not noticing it to say anything ?

D :(
    Forum Member
    ductur wrote: »
    Very true, though of all the people who post on DS, apart from me there has only been one other person who has commented on the second flight of stairs that go up to the non-existent attic in Amelia's house... Is it that no-one else gives my observation any credence, or are people too embarrassed at not noticing it to say anything ?

There's a staircase leading up to the attic door, which may or may not be unusual for that kind of house (I'm no expert). But what sort of significance does that have?

It's difficult to separate significant details from insignificant details - there's no clue as to why they might be significant.
  • kathy72kathy72 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    geraniums wrote: »
    There's a scene in the kitchen where the Doctor says something like: "Amelia Pond. Sounds like a name in a fairy tale."

It just registered in my brain for some reason and I remembered it again with the mention of fairy tales to River Song. Probably nothing. LOL!:o

Thought it was something involving all that 'cos I thought the hospital looked like the one in CAL's world (In SITL) but I am probably wrong
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in episode 1, but the way the Dreamlord said Leadworth was 'the village time forgot' made me wonder if he meant it literally not figuratively.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Not in episode 1, but the way the Dreamlord said Leadworth was 'the village time forgot' made me wonder if he meant it literally not figuratively.

Perhaps, but given that the Doctor, himself, said that it was a dull place, you would imagine that his 'evil self' would feel that way even more so. So I'm guessing in this case it's much more likely to be figuratively.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps, but given that the Doctor, himself, said that it was a dull place, you would imagine that his 'evil self' would feel that way even more so. So I'm guessing in this case it's much more likely to be figuratively.

I think it's definitely intended to hint at something strange, but it's just as likely to be a red herring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In rewatching Amy's Choice, noticed that we don't see any clocks: not in Amy and Rory's house, not in in the village (not in the tardis, but then that's not surprising) , or the Old peoples home...

Given that TEH seemed to have a clock in almost every shot (certainly in Amy's house), it has to be related to the time (and of course the name of the episode implies this).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member

:cool: No, I rewatched it last week, but forgot to react :o
    Yes, the house looks like it has only two levels, although very possible to have an attick. So to have another staircase is not that strange. But yes, at first there is a light seen shining, and only a bit later we see the entrance closed by a white trap door.
    So there could well be someone else in the house. Maybe the, much rumoured about, secondary Doctor.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cool: No, I rewatched it last week, but forgot to react :o
    Yes, the house looks like it has only two levels, although very possible to have an attick. So to have another staircase is not that strange. But yes, at first there is a light seen shining, and only a bit later we see the entrance closed by a white trap door.
    So there could well be someone else in the house. Maybe the, much rumoured about, secondary Doctor.
    Who cast that fleeting shadow in the back of one scene...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    yeah the shadow seems right to me.

another thing, Amy's praying to Santa? At Easter? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah the shadow seems right to me.

another thing, Amy's praying to Santa? At Easter? :confused:

It was a joke & She said 'Sorry for waking you up' or something like that.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a joke & She said 'Sorry for waking you up' or something like that.
    That's my reading of that scene as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I may have spotted what we are all missing in Episode One, The Eleventh Hour. Many apologies if this has already been suggested...
    Amelia / Amy's house is a two story building and there are two flights of stairs. When The Doctor returns after "5 minutes / 6 months we get a shot of the top of this flight to the invisible third floor and it has a blanked off opening. There is a perception filter on the flight to the third floor. Where is the third floor ?

D

So is this subplot in The Lodger a coincidence or a deliberate copy ?

Or was Karl Pilkington onto something weeks ago ?
    Is The Doctor re-building the TARDIS above Amelia's house or is it the Dream Lord ?

D
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    So is this subplot in The Lodger a coincidence or a deliberate copy ?

Or was Karl Pilkington onto something weeks ago ?
    Is The Doctor re-building the TARDIS above Amelia's house or is it the Dream Lord ?

D

Neither. Nothing is wrong with Amelia's/Amy's house.

My aunt lives in one very similar.

And Karl Pilkington has to be one of the biggest buffoons I've ever listened to... Seriously? You're thinking he of all people is on to something...
  • capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say what you like about him but this much I know for sure....

He most definitely has a head like a f****** orange :D *

*This is a reference to Karl Pilkington so please dont ban me for swearing
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Say what you like about him but this much I know for sure....

He most definitely has a head like a f****** orange :D

Indeed he does have a head like a f****** orange!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »

Good point, but was the village in AC Leadworth? I thought it was somewhere else. Doesn't Rory pointedly state that it's full name is 'upper' somewhere? I assumed that in-story Rory and Amy had moved somewhere else after they married, perhaps to do with Rory's job as a doctor. The real reason, if I'm right, is so that the village in AC could be weird without stepping on the toes of Leadworth's weirdness. Of course, since the village scenes in AC were a dream the difference is there anyway, but perhaps they writer just wanted to make the distinction doubly clear.
  • capt.shoegazercapt.shoegazer Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Indeed he does have a head like a f****** orange!

Chimpanzee that!.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom_Holmes wrote: »
    Good point, but was the village in AC Leadworth? I thought it was somewhere else. Doesn't Rory pointedly state that it's full name is 'upper' somewhere? I assumed that in-story Rory and Amy had moved somewhere else after they married, perhaps to do with Rory's job as a doctor. The real reason, if I'm right, is so that the village in AC could be weird without stepping on the toes of Leadworth's weirdness. Of course, since the village scenes in AC were a dream the difference is there anyway, but perhaps they writer just wanted to make the distinction doubly clear.

Upper leadworth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Upper leadworth

Many thanks.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've wondered for weeks whether the thing that we've been missing is where does the staircase next to Amy's bedroom go to? Maybe the additional door on the first floor was meant to draw our attention away from it and The Lodger tonight was meant to remind us of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've wondered for weeks whether the thing that we've been missing is where does the staircase next to Amy's bedroom go to? Maybe the additional door on the first floor was meant to draw our attention away from it and The Lodger tonight was meant to remind us of it.

That's what I've been saying since early May. Only you're the first person since I've been posting this theory who has agreed with me...
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Neither. Nothing is wrong with Amelia's/Amy's house.

My aunt lives in one very similar.

And Karl Pilkington has to be one of the biggest buffoons I've ever listened to... Seriously? You're thinking he of all people is on to something...

If you read all of my original posts, you will see that it isn't an ordinary house.... Exterior shots show it to be a two story house with a shallow roof... very little roofspace/attic. My inlaws used to live in one too. Those types of house do not have such a substantial staircase to lead to what is basically a crawlspace... they have a square opening in a ceiling, usually the landing ceiling, and one needs a ladder to get up there. Like Guttedgirl says... The subplot of The Lodger was to remind/reinforce viewers of that in the same way that the Chameleon Arch was used in Family of Blood to introduce the concept before it's use in The Sound Of Drums

The reference to Karl Pilkngton was just to take the p*** out of the guy who said I must be KP to believe the above...

D