Biggest comeback flops.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What singer or band has made a flop comeback so far.

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Saints.

And incoming- Muttley, Quiche and Chiffon. They will fail miserably.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Aguilera has had two in a row.
    Ke$ha had a flop with Warrior.
    All Saints, Spice Girls and Madonna have also had recent flops.

(just a note, I'm classing these comebacks as flops because they were no where near as successful as past comebacks)
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cardigans comeback now you see them now you don't.

They stopped half way throw out the tour and still no new album.
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »

shame that i thought bionic was fantastic and lotus was good too

do people still care about xtina anymore? :(
  • AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No dout.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    shame that i thought bionic was fantastic and lotus was good too

do people still care about xtina anymore? :(

I do! They flopped but I enjoyed both of them tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Nelly Furtado - The Spirit Indestructable, it was her first English album since 2006, it failed miserably. I really like it though, Believers is one of the best songs of 2012.

Evanescence - Evanescence. Not really a "flop" compared to so many other artists and albums, as it debuted on #1 on Billboard, sold more than half a million etc, but compared to The Open Door, it's somewhat of a "flop", as TOD sold more than two million copies in USA, Evanescence sold a fourth of that.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney's last album didn't set the charts alight. The album sold a fair few million, but none of the singles were hits at all in the US although Million dollar bill did really well over here. Plus the tour was critically panned and apparently lost quite a bit of money.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xtina....poor girl, it's just not working out for her. I liked both her albums but I don't think she connects with the public anymore.

Same with Madonna who had a bit of a disaster with MDNA given all the hype around the project.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Xtina....poor girl, it's just not working out for her. I liked both her albums but I don't think she connects with the public anymore.

Same with Madonna who had a bit of a disaster with MDNA given all the hype around the project.

I don't follow Christina's career closely, so I can only speak about what I think she needs to do in the UK to gain some success again is actually do some proper promo, she hasn't really done much.

Also maybe book a few appearances on tv chat shows and pop into Capital, Radio 1 etc to try and win the public over again.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    All Saints.

All Saints was strange as the song was good, and it was a top5 hit...but then they just seemed to abandon promotion and quickly split up again.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Britney Spears' 2011 comeback was a bit of a flop. I Wanna go and Criminal didn't chart very well IIRC and her album Femme Fatale was a flop too. Shame really as it was a good album. It's my second favourite Britney album after Blackout.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nelly's one has to be one of the biggest, also Anastacia's 2008 comeback was a big big flop for her.
  • SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duffy
    Leona Lewis
    Sophie Ellis Bextor
    Dianna Vickers
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Britney Spears' 2011 comeback was a bit of a flop. I Wanna go and Criminal didn't chart very well IIRC and her album Femme Fatale was a flop too. Shame really as it was a good album. It's my second favourite Britney album after Blackout.

I Wanna Go did well in other countries, but I think Criminal flopped pretty much everywhere (but it's a 4th single, so that's not too tragic).

I don't think Christina and Britney are hated, since if they were the songs they featured on wouldn't have been such big hits. But in the UK they don't get the airplay they need for a hit with their solo singles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these aren't really 'comebacks' imo.

I consider a comeback to be when an artist decides to come back from either a prolonged absence or when they hope to comeback with success after a major 'flop' era.

Going by this, the most recent example for me is Christina Aguilera with 'Lotus' which is a shame because it's actually my favourite album from her. I guess Madonna's 'MDNA' could also count since she was hoping for more success than 'Hard Candy' which didn't quite work out. Again it's a shame because I thought 'MDNA' was a better album than it's predecessor.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nelly Furtado.
    I think most people aren't even aware she released an album last year
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC hammer comeback as a gangster rapper
    New kids on the block comeback as 'NKOTB'
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All Saints.

:confused: Are these just made up names... apart from All Saints of course :confused:
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Nelly Furtado.
    I think most people aren't even aware she released an album last year

She's one of those artists that has hits sporadically though, some songs click like 'I'm Like A Bird' and then her 'Maneater/Promiscuous' era then the stuff in between is ignored.

R Kelly is similar, he has gaps of several years between hits like 'Bump N Grind' 'I Believe I Can Fly' and 'Ignition' and hasn't had a hit for 10 years now...but you can't rule out him having a big hit again with the right song.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    East 17 and Blue - East 17 won't work without Brian as he was the voice of the band.

Blue did all the promo they possibly could and had a hit show behind them and they were still off the charts in a handful of weeks.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele. I mean come on, 21 kind of under-performed a litte bit didn't it :p
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Ke$ha had a flop with Warrior.
    All Saints, Spice Girls and Madonna have also had recent flops.

(just a note, I'm classing these comebacks as flops because they were no where near as successful as past comebacks)

You do know that taking a break after a tour then going away for a year to make a new album isn't a comeback, right? How the hell has Kesha attempted a 'comeback'? She's only been going since 2010 and she's released 2 albums with a third due this year - when was she away exactly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tings Tings - Sounds From Noweheresville.
    Nelly Furtardo - The Spirit Indestructible
    Little Boots - Nocturnes
    The Saturdays - On The Radar
    Ke$ha - Warrior
    Sophie Ellis Bexter - Make A Scene
    Christina Aguleria - Lotus

^These are actual flop albums, Some of the other suggestions are pretty stupid to be honest.

Madonna - MDNA,
    Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby,
    Evanescence - Evanescence
    Whitney Houston - I Look To You
    Britney Spears - Femme Fatel

^ Whislit these have been mentioned as flop they are not. All have sold over 1,500,000 worldwide (Evanescence have only sold like 1 mill) so have achieved success, just not to their usual standards.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They mean the original Sugababes line up.
    shackfan wrote: »
    :confused: Are these just made up names... apart from All Saints of course :confused: