Options

Utopia

2»

Comments

• Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rewatched this yesterday and didn't like it because the whole end of the Universe thing creeped me out and made me feel weird for the rest of the night. :o I was fine when I watched it years ago but don't think I noticed that part then! Did anyone else have this? :confused:
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean Sophie. There are some very dark aspects of this story and the finale that are sometimes overlooked- for instance the horrifying revelation when the Doctor opens up the shell of a Toclafane. For me the end of S3 is about as dark as New Who has ever been. And all the better for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean Sophie. There are some very dark aspects of this story and the finale that are sometimes overlooked- for instance the horrifying revelation when the Doctor opens up the shell of a Toclafane. For me the end of S3 is about as dark as New Who has ever been. And all the better for it.
    Oh I'm fine with that, I laughed the first time because I saw it coming, and I quite liked it when the Doctor was curled up on the floor crying. :o
    Just not the other thing. That is scary. :eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    Current theory says that the universe will not end, as such. It will be a dark, cold, low energy place, not fit for any form of life that we'd recognise. All the stars will have long since burned all their fuel having worked their way up the periodic table to heavier and heavier elements in lower and lower energy producing reactions. All secondary reactions will have ceased due to absence of energy. Matter will be dispersed wider and wider through an ever growing universe.

Entropy will have won.

However, this is all many trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years from now. Ten to the power of a very large number of years from now.

But still, kinda puts into perspective all the petty resource disputes we have on this tiny speck of dust, doesn't it?

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Current theory says that the universe will not end, as such. It will be a dark, cold, low energy place, not fit for any form of life that we'd recognise. All the stars will have long since burned all their fuel having worked their way up the periodic table to heavier and heavier elements in lower and lower energy producing reactions. All secondary reactions will have ceased due to absence of energy. Matter will be dispersed wider and wider through an ever growing universe.

Entropy will have won.

This is all many trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years from now. Ten to the power of a very large number of years from now.

Kinda puts into perspective all the petty resource disputes we have on this tiny spec of dust, doesn't it?

:)
    :eek: Thanks for that! :eek::eek:
    I think the resource disputes may go away during our lifetimes though (well mine anyway, I don't know how old you are) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but lets get back to the really big issues...HOW MANY EPISODES IN 2013 AND WHEN WILL THEY AIR!?!?!? PLUS LESBIAN LIZARDS OMFG WTF! A GAY SHARK JUST HOPPED OVER AN AGENDA!!! Or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but lets get back to the really big issues...HOW MANY EPISODES IN 2013 AND WHEN WILL THEY AIR!?!?!? PLUS LESBIAN LIZARDS OMFG WTF! A GAY SHARK JUST HOPPED OVER AN AGENDA!!! Or something.
    No need to be rude, we were still technically on topic. Kind of. :o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need to be rude, we were still technically on topic. Kind of. :o:o

i wasn't being rude. I was making lighthearted comment on some of the forums current (and silly) hot topics in relation to GDKs interesting post above.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    i wasn't being rude. I was making lighthearted comment on some of the forums current (and silly) hot topics in relation to GDKs interesting post above.

Yes. Don't talk to them. They're silly.

:D

(And I totally agree, saladfingers! :))
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this again just last night. I really love the way it develops. The slow but steady escalation of things is wonderfully subtle at first, then becomes creepy-before exploding in the blaze of excitement that is the climax. One is fascinated by the whole process of confusion, tension & eventual revelation the genial, friendly old man played by Derek Jacobi is at the centre of. A big part of it is the drumming sound heard-& finally incorporated into the incidental music. I would say the final twenty minutes of this episode are among the greatest & most exciting passages of the programme ever.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Well I enjoyed it all, except that awfull child who won the Blue Peter competition, thought it lead in to the final two episodes perfectly. Everyone seems to like different episodes, some people hate this, other like myself like it. Isn't that what makes Dr Who fans great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I Loved This Episode, It Had So Many Things Right With It

1. The Return Of Captain Jack
    2. Bringing Back The Master
    3. Realising What The Face Of Boe's "You Are Not Alone" Meant
    4. A Great Cliff Hanger
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Well I enjoyed it all, except that awfull child who won the Blue Peter competition, thought it lead in to the final two episodes perfectly. Everyone seems to like different episodes, some people hate this, other like myself like it. Isn't that what makes Dr Who fans great.

The kid properly annoys me too. As does ChanTho. What I do like about the episode is Derek Jacobi into John Simm (although Simm is a bit pantomime camp in the TARDIS) and, probably unpopularly, I really like the conversation between the Doctor and Jack when Jack is doing whatever he's doing (I forget!) in the place only he can go.

Music, as always, is brilliant in this episode.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This episode is great. The quarry/desert feels so weird and alien. One of the few really alien environments we've seen in C21DW. There's a fewwling of the group of humans hanging on by a thread, claustrophibic, knackered and under attack.

The Blue Peter kid is cute, Chantho is adoreable, Derek Jacobi is so sweet ... then the "fob watch" moment made my hair stand on end ... and the final five minutes or so are utterly gobsmacking. Derek Jacobi as the Master gvies an horrifying performance. Genuinely stunning stuff, with maximum impact.

I hated the next two episodes though. :(
    I love this episode. I think Tennant and Barrowman are fantastic together, Jacobi was just great (the signs were there, in his slight resentfulness/peevishness...). I think Freema and the rest of the cast are great too. I think the story (certainly when it was first broadcast), as it progressed, completely upended expectations and went from being intriguing to being brilliant and menacing. I think as an episode it's pretty much faultless and it remains one of my favourites. :)

Same here, I loved this episode & was riveted to the screen from start to finish, and what a finish! And then...next week, with one bound they were free and it went downhill from there.