EE - I don't care what anyone says...

13»

Comments

• funcat650funcat650 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not enjoying Aeeysha storyline, but the Branning storylines have been well written, although I'm tired of the characters involved(Max, Tanya and Kirsty) ridiculous repetitive cycle of behaviour.
  • dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    IanMandy wrote: »
    If that happens, LN may have to explain the sudden ratings drop

then lets hope it happens, let the ratings plumet then they might realize and get there act togheter
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Tanya is nowhere near as iconic as Angie was.

I agree. I find Tanya very bland compared to Angie. Every storyline involving Angie was a classic and she and Den had amazing chemistry. You couldn't not be interested in what was happening to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I agree. I find Tanya very bland compared to Angie. Every storyline involving Angie was a classic and she and Den had amazing chemistry. You couldn't not be interested in what was happening to them.

Max and Tanya have buckets of chemistry. They are brilliant actors and a brilliant pairing.. Although I do hope they split up for good this time!

We always remember the best bits... I bet if Angie was still in the show most people would be moaning about what a tired, boring, repetitive, character she was and how the actress is rubbish ;)
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think not winning the awards won't be taken lightly at the top. They will demand EE beats Corrie next year but they will think Joey and Lauren are popular and ram them down our throats!

Personally, I take nothing from the award wins because you can only select from a selected group put forward by some committee somewhere that never watches the soaps!
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funcat650 wrote: »
    I'm not enjoying Aeeysha storyline, but the Branning storylines have been well written, although I'm tired of the characters involved(Max, Tanya and Kirsty) ridiculous repetitive cycle of behaviour.

It's more enjoyable next week because Ayesha comes downstairs in just a towel to suduce Masood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I think not winning the awards won't be taken lightly at the top. They will demand EE beats Corrie next year but they will think Joey and Lauren are popular and ram them down our throats!

Personally, I take nothing from the award wins because you can only select from a selected group put forward by some committee somewhere that never watches the soaps!

Maybe they are popular... just becuase a few people on DS don't like them doesn't speak for the other 8-9 million people who watch the show.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    Maybe they are popular... just becuase a few people on DS don't like them doesn't speak for the other 8-9 million people who watch the show.

well, I knew plenty of people that wouldn't dream of going onto DS that think the same.

He won because hes good looking. That is all. Plenty more of them out there, ones that can act too :D
  • dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone is criticizing anyone for having an opinion but the problem is that far too often on here people do think they're speaking for the majority. Pennylane and elliecat explained that perfectly. It's also got nothing to do with people taking it too/not taking it seriously. It's just some members on here think that what they're saying is fact.

For example saying Tanya is not iconic. Who says she's not iconic!? I'm personally going to remember more of Tanya's best bits then I am Angie's because Angie hasn't been around while I've been watching. I'm not comparing the two as each have their own reasons for being iconic characters in some peoples opinions. Regardless to the fact, I wasn't initially comparing Tanya to Angie, Pat or Stacey anyway - I was comparing Max/Tanya to the other popular, yoyo couples.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously, I'm saying Tanya isn't iconic; and I'm making that argument. I don't particuarly believe the Tanya of character herself has any made any particular contribution to EastEnders that is of any signifcance; or that in years to come Tanya will be seen as synonomous with the EastEnders brand, like characters such as Sharon, Dot, Ian and Phil are.

As for Max/Tanya, I wouldn't say they're iconic or a good couple. They were great for the Stax Reveal, and that's pretty much it. Den and Angie worked much better, because they didn't go into groundhog day territory.

As for people thinking they're speaking for the majority; no one's really said that; so it's just other people's assumptions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well obviously, I'm saying Tanya isn't iconic; and I'm making that argument. I don't particuarly believe the Tanya of character herself has any made any particular contribution to EastEnders that is of any signifcance; or that in years to come Tanya will be seen as synonomous with the EastEnders brand, like characters such as Sharon, Dot, Ian and Phil are.

As for Max/Tanya, I wouldn't say they're iconic or a good couple. They were great for the Stax Reveal, and that's pretty much it. Den and Angie worked much better, because they didn't go into groundhog day territory.

As for people thinking they're speaking for the majority; no one's really said that; so it's just other people's assumptions.

This. As said elsewhere, people post their opinions, and for the most part users are aware that these are merely their opinions. I don't know whether or not some users on here feel we need to post "in my opinion" before or after everything we post, but that's pretty much what it seems like. From what I've seen, nobody's "speaking for the majority" nor has anyone claimed to, that is indeed an assumption.

One user recently said that they we can't deny that "EE fans feel they're owed something" - a notion I disagree with entirely. Ranting, as I seem to need to explain a lot lately, is absolutely not the same as feeling entitled.

Another point is the "it's not about people having an opinion" part, which I disagree with because if a large number of people share a negative opinion on here, we have been subjected to people telling us we're "armchair bullies" or that we're "jumping on a bandwagon" and I'm sorry, but I don't think posts about "DS being too negative" can be taken to mean that they don't have a problem with what we post/our opinions, they clearly do.

I can understand people getting frustrated reading the same thing over and over again, in fact I too find that repetitive threads on the exact same subject rather grating, but this argument is much bigger than that, at this point.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    I'm not enjoying it as much as I should. I think this has been one of the worst January's and starts to a new year I can remember (possibly being beaten by 2007 only)
    Ayesha is annoying the hell out of me. The storyline surrounding her is pathetic and I really,really do hope this isn't the reason Zainab leaves

Lola is so annoying aswell. All she does is moan,moan,moan
    yeah Phil has lexi but it's just up the road
    at least she knows where she is

The Brannings do need to be toned down a bit. I do like them but not every episode from start to finish.

Glad Dot is back though.

Not sure what is lined up for this part of the year actually
    Janine is back,Patrick has some sort of storyline but whatelse?
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael & Kat and Bianca & Kat get a stall on the market ... would be good to see more of the market again
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dantay24uk wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is criticizing anyone for having an opinion but the problem is that far too often on here people do think they're speaking for the majority. Pennylane and elliecat explained that perfectly. It's also got nothing to do with people taking it too/not taking it seriously. It's just some members on here think that what they're saying is fact.

For example saying Tanya is not iconic. Who says she's not iconic!? I'm personally going to remember more of Tanya's best bits then I am Angie's because Angie hasn't been around while I've been watching. I'm not comparing the two as each have their own reasons for being iconic characters in some peoples opinions. Regardless to the fact, I wasn't initially comparing Tanya to Angie, Pat or Stacey anyway - I was comparing Max/Tanya to the other popular, yoyo couples.

There is a big difference between fans and loyal or casual viewers in terms of investment in a soap.
    While fans are not representative for the majority, they can be very skilled in detecting and analysing trends throughout EE's history and as such I do find the critical views on this forum (that go beyond personal taste) interesting and valid.
    As for iconic characters who live on in the cultural imagination, they simply belong to another era when EE stood out in terms of its social realist agenda. Nowadays it's just another soap that churns out endless variations on the trials of coupledom.
  • SsddSsdd Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never had a problem (or even saw the problem) with having a Branning-centric period on EE until this week. While watching Corrie I realised I was following loads of storylines (sophie/Jenna, Gail/Lewis, Kirtsy/Tyrone/Fizz, to name but a few). But EE has concentrated solely on this (with a couple of minutes to spare on Lexi/Masoods). Why can't all the storylines be gven the same amount of airtime? With a few spare too. Just seems like all their eggs are in one basket.