Options

Good Morning Britain - ITV

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bh21 wrote: »
    Said it before on a thread . they need to drop the competition . drop the regional news or at least that hideous fake handover . cut the ad breaks . stop doin one liners all over the place . just be normal and stop all the . sad face .sincere face . concerned face stuff and bring in things like a paper review

I'd definitely welcome them scrapping the competitions. They take up so much time with the long, celebrity fronted promos telling you what you can win and how to enter.

During the premium rate fraud scandal in 2007 these mindless competitions all vanished for a few months, and it instantly improved GMTV!
  • Options
    eliza2355eliza2355 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I did actually watch it this morning , i like John Stapleton hes got it right and always has
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    But that's exactly what I mean about them not listening. No-one who matters cares about the sets or the presenters - it's the crappy format that's the problem!

The format and content.

The content is still too biased towards showbiz and gossip orientated "stories" that they're trying to dress up as news.

Unfortunately as shown with previous re-launches the bosses at ITV persevere with the same old tat but try and gloss over with flashy sets and new presenters.

On the subject of presenters it's pretty pointless employing the likes of Reid and Hawkins for their professional approach on BBC and Sky and then trying to get them to dumb down to present GMB.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    Part of feature in Telegraph 'ITV are said to have spent £400,000 bringing Susanna Reid over from the BBC, but it is the chocolate-box pretty Hawkins, poached from Sky News on a wage that was described by one tabloid as being “no more than that of a London head teacher”, who is said to be winning over the viewers.'

The get rid of the annoying Ms Reid and give her the job.. Simple...
    Charlotte's the star of the show for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The format and content.

The content is still too biased towards showbiz and gossip orientated "stories" that they're trying to dress up as news.

Unfortunately as shown with previous re-launches the bosses at ITV persevere with the same old tat but try and gloss over with flashy sets and new presenters.

On the subject of presenters it's pretty pointless employing the likes of Reid and Hawkins for their professional approach on BBC and Sky and then trying to get them to dumb down to present GMB.

Well said!
  • Options
    Gavin_MartinGavin_Martin Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's exactly what I mean about them not listening. No-one who matters cares about the sets or the presenters - it's the crappy format that's the problem!

If itv can't sort it out than they should not do breakfast tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If itv can't sort it out than they should not do breakfast tv

If anyone is to blame it's Ofcom, really, for giving ITV Breakfast the right to buy Sunrise Television and take over the breakfast franchise. Alas, everything seemed to work better at ITV when it was privatised. The strict ITC is also sorely missed; OFCOM is to commercial television what the UN is to peacekeeping - toothless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone is to blame it's Ofcom, really, for giving ITV Breakfast the right to buy Sunrise Television and take over the breakfast franchise. Alas, everything seemed to work better at ITV when it was privatised. The strict ITC is also sorely missed; OFCOM is to commercial television what the UN is to peacekeeping - toothless.

no, ofcom did not tell itv to buy the 25% from Walt Disney, it might be walt disney
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, ofcom did not tell itv to buy the 25% from Walt Disneyy

I never said they did. :confused:
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ITV bought out the Disney share of GMTV to own it outright and take all of the ad money. The terms of the breakfast slot are down to Ofcom. They say what a broadcaster needs to put on in that slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said they did. :confused:

ok but they were called GMTV when itv brought the broadcaster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok but they were called GMTV when itv brought the broadcaster

I'l be honest, I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs of it all, but it's something like:

GMTV was an independent station, mostly owned by Disney and partly owned by Sunrise Television. OFCOM permitted ITV, in 2010, to buy Sunrise and then a few months later Disney sold their share to ITV, giving ITV full control of its breakfast franchise for the first time since it was created in 1982.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMB launched on April 28 with 800,000 viewers. It is now down to 431,000. So in three months it has lost about 400,000 viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'l be honest, I'm not 100% sure on the ins and outs of it all, but it's something like:

GMTV was an independent station, mostly owned by Disney and partly owned by Sunrise Television. OFCOM permitted ITV, in 2010, to buy Sunrise and then a few months later Disney sold their share to ITV, giving ITV full control of its breakfast franchise for the first time since it was created in 1982.

it was in 1983 when itv started breakfast tv
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was in 1983 when itv started breakfast tv

I didn't say ITV started breakfast TV in 1983, I said the franchise was created in 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say ITV started breakfast TV in 1983, I said the franchise was created in 1982.

TV-AM won the franchise in 1980 but they did not start in 1982
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The broadcasting ownership rules are nothing to do with Ofcom, they are laid down in statutory legislation. It was the last Government that relaxed the ownership rules for ITV, as part of the Communications Act 2003. Ofcom's role is to ensure that the legislation is complied with and the owners are "fit and proper".

This legislation allows a US company such as Liberty Global or NBC Comcast to purchase the whole of ITV, and that will probably happen before too long. As I understand it Liberty Global have six months to launch a full takeover bid following their recent purchase of Sky's shareholding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The broadcasting ownership rules are nothing to do with Ofcom, they are laid down in statutory legislation. It was the last Government that relaxed the ownership rules for ITV, as part of the Communications Act 2003. Ofcom's role is to ensure that the legislation is complied with and the owners are "fit and proper".

This legislation allows a US company such as Liberty Global or NBC Comcast to purchase the whole of ITV, and that will probably happen before too long. As I understand it Liberty Global have six months to launch a full takeover bid following their recent purchase of Sky's shareholding.

Interesting stuff! Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV-AM won the franchise in 1980 but they did not start in 1982

TV-AM went on the air on February 1, 1983, with a programme called ''Good Morning Britain.'' The BBC beat them to it starting on January 17, 1983. Ironically many critics said the ITV programme was ''stiff and starchy'' by comparison with the relaxed approach of the BBC programme.TV-AM lost its franchise to GMTV in 1993.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    TV-AM lost its franchise to GMTV in 1993.

1991, actually. GMTV went on the air in 1993 but Sunrise Television won the franchise in 1991.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were a few experimental breakfast programmes prior to 1983. In 1982 the BBC mounted a daily programme during the Falklands War and YTV also produced a breakfast edition of Calendar. BBC Scotland televised its morning radio programme to no great effect with lots of shots of tapes going round and one (famously bald) presenter was allowed to buy a wig at the BBC's expense:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    TV-AM went on the air on February 1, 1983, with a programme called ''Good Morning Britain.'' The BBC beat them to it starting on January 17, 1983. Ironically many critics said the ITV programme was ''stiff and starchy'' by comparison with the relaxed approach of the BBC programme.TV-AM lost its franchise to GMTV in 1993.

i know but tv-am lost to GMTV in 1991
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What gets me is they still pretend they're a serious news programme when they're more like a TV version of Take A Break magazine.

Throughout the Tour de France on ITV4, almost every ad break, they had a trail showing Ms Reid walking into the studio looking serious with a tagline of something like 'wake up to the news with GMB"

Yet you turn on and find...
    "Salads are too salty"
    "Win £30,000 by dialling 0898......"
    "Where do Hollywood Celebs go for their holidays"

Utter drivel.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eliza2355 wrote: »
    I did actually watch it this morning , i like John Stapleton hes got it right and always has

He has no sillyness and always smiles and great journalist. Top bloke.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just switched over to see who's presenting and there was Martyn Lewis - straight back to BBC Breakfast. He gets around far too much and I just can't watch him; so slimy.