The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway BBC2

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
New series about crossrail in London. :)

Comments

• jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just in case you think you're the only one watching it, you're not. I came across it about 20 minutes in but I'm finding it fascinating.

Thanks for telling me it's a series too, just set up a series link :)
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    The bloke in charge of steering the machine is a bit young.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

I wonder what his insurance cover is for driving that TBM? Take out the Northern Line and you'd be looking at getting sued for millions.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of effort that goes into building it is amazing. So many things you don't think about.

Love these kind of documentaries - the graphics are great too.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Auction guy looks like Ian duncan smith, wonder if they are related.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a 900 tone machine a metre above your head? I don't think I'd want to know about it.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There's a 900 tone machine a metre above your head? I don't think I'd want to know about it.

Theres probably a 10000 ton building above your head at most stations.:D
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Pretty good. :)

They're doing a Q&A on twitter. http://twitter.com/crossrail
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A practical demonstration of: "How to get half an hour's content into a sixty minute programme."

There was so much repetition, you could have thought you were watching an episode of "Animal Park," though some might have noticed the distinct lack of animals.

The producer/director must have a love affair with vintage cars, the amount of time spent on them. Surely there were bigger technical problems in the project. than getting a few cars into a showroom?

Too much "human interest" content for me at the expense of detail.

Having said that, I thought the explanations of the technical side were well done, if overstated. How often were the words, "through the eye of a needle" repeated?

However, I guess it could be said the balance was about right for a typical contemporary BBC2 audience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, I guess it could be said the balance was about right for a typical contemporary BBC2 audience.

Yes, I thought the balance was about right. It wasn't a One Show feature but it wasn't an Open University documentary either. Just about right for BBC2.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pretentious post if I ever read one.

As a typical contemporary BBC2 audience member, I found the whole programme fascinating.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »

Yeah i thought that :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps not the best documentary making, but it reminds us of what British engineering vision and know-how is capable of.

What a huge project this is. It's good to know that this generation is doing its bit to contribute to London's future infrastructure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    A pretentious post if I ever read one.

As a typical contemporary BBC2 audience member, I found the whole programme fascinating.

It's just a matter of one's perception. Saying how you saw it and what I said was pretty accurate, can't be described as pretentious.

But I don't mind if you enjoyed it. I fast forward my recording by quite a bit through the "padding." like the cars.
    But some of it was quite watchable, but not all. It was in my opinion over-long for the actual content.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baroquepop wrote: »
    Perhaps not the best documentary making, but it reminds us of what British engineering vision and know-how is capable of.

What a huge project this is. It's good to know that this generation is doing its bit to contribute to London's future infrastructure.

This is just the warm up. When they've finished this there will be Crossrail 2
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    This is just the warm up. When they've finished this there will be Crossrail 2

Is there any chance of the North east or even the north getting money put into infrastructure, or does everything need to connect to London to get funding?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of the North east or even the north getting money put into infrastructure, or does everything need to connect to London to get funding?

The North is obviously low priority.

They should have started the Metro extension in Manchester in 2000, but the funds were withdrawn, by Prescott? This was after the local councils had purchased any properties "in the way," fortunately, there weren't that many. It started ten years late, should be finished by the end of this year.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Loved footage of Oxford Circus being worked on. Guy had clay falling on his back, no top on.

Wouldn't have that these days.

Enjoyed this episode, looking forward to the next two. Glad they found something useful to do with the clay.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Quite difficult to make digging a very long tunnel interesting. I love seeing the scale of it all - nice video:

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/stations/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Loved footage of Oxford Circus being worked on. Guy had clay falling on his back, no top on.

Wouldn't have that these days.

Enjoyed this episode, looking forward to the next two. Glad they found something useful to do with the clay.

You mean the 1960s footage?

Yes that was quite a reminder, Oxford Circus as I remember, was at the time formed from stone blocks which reduced the need for re-surfacing the cross roads every few years.
    Complete absence of "elf n safety" lots of shovels and not a "hi--viz" jacket in sight.
    Even the "heavy machinery" looked pre-war.
    But to finish the "mini flyover" without a hitch in the time available was impressive, even by today's standards.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very interesting. I love things like this - big engineering projects. I did think that they spent a bit too long on the auction house and the St Barnabas place but otherwise it was well balanced and informative.

It makes me laugh that these sort of documentaries always seem to find one big "character" - in this case the Brummie foreman. Bet he's great fun to work with...
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I found it fascinating.

Impressive technological and engineering achievement.

I found the Tottenham Court Road bits very interesting - i'm quite surprised they managed to keep the underground going with the eye of the needle stuff.

One can only imagine the reaction if one of the "spotters" had seen debris, or water, start to come onto the platforms.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    I thought it was very interesting. I love things like this - big engineering projects. I did think that they spent a bit too long on the auction house and the St Barnabas place but otherwise it was well balanced and informative.

The St. Barnabas part was really interesting. Never occurred to me what all the seemingly random shafts around the area were for. I knew they had the huge machines but thought they wouldn't need so many access shafts. Turned out they were nothing directly to do with the tunneling.

Agree with too much auction house. All it was about was squeezing cars through a narrow gap, something which happens all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    The guy from St Barnabas seemed fairly relaxed despite the appearance of large cracks in the building. It seems extraordinary how no damage at all was done to the Northern Line tunnels. They must have had a very accurate assessment of how much pressure those tunnels can take.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    tbh, in all matters I defer to the professionals - the properly trained and educated.

But I did hesitate about a system that's intended to last for a hunded years - but which in reality will be an awful lot more than that - and is dependent on 35cm clearance.

It's obv. a money-saving decision (to not dig deeper), I just hope it doesn't come back to haunt the Northern Line.

Fwiw, despite liking the subject this doc style also irritates and dumbs down - I do hate the way the BBC gloss over or completely ignore everything that isn't 'feel good'. For example, I would really have liked to know more about the very hard business decisions (logically it really should be going to Ebbsfleet).

Also, do Crossrail really have nothing but jolly chaps from the regions doing a wonderful job ....