Is Kylie Minogue a spent force in music

13»

Comments

• PantherAS90PantherAS90 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Kylie still has hits in her still.

What let's her down is her management and label and maybe herself. Too inconsistent, poor choices in choosing songs for her albums and singles.

KMO also suffered to due with poor marketing and release times.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    mark e a wrote: »
    Her run of singles chart positions have been appauling and album sales mediocre.

Can she rise from the ashes like she did after Decon or will any change in management, styling, music and promotion be futile?

Kylie's run of singles has been hit and miss for the last five years, but she's still scored two top hits since 2010, including her biggest selling single since Head in 2001, as well as two further top 20 hits. She's a pop star nearing 50 years old, she's no longer guaranteed hit after hit anymore. Madonna's the same, every single she's released since Celebration has flopped in the UK. Kylie achieved 16 top 10 hits in the UK between 2000 and 2009, that's one more than Madonna, and one less than Britney. Admittedly the sales of Kiss Me Once have been mediocre, but every studio album she has released from Light Years in 2000 to Aphrodite in 2010 has gone at least Platinum, that's hardly mediocre. Ultimate Kylie also achieved strong sales.

I can't help but laugh when people say that Kylie's career is over. A near-30 year pop career isn't going to end because of an underperforming album, all her achievements won't just be forgotten because of an underperforming album. She's had a few albums before - Impossible Princess, Let's Get to It - that have sold less than a million copies worldwide and they didn't end her career, why should Kiss Me Once? Kylie's never been a big album seller worldwide. She's had the odd big hit like her debut, Enjoy Yourself and Fever, but her albums, on average, sell between 1-2 million copies worldwide. This is why I don't agree with people calling Body Language, X and Aphrodite flops. Who knows what will happen in the future. Cher scored the biggest hit of her career in her early 50s.

I personally think she should leave Parlophone (she was going to in 2011 before they talked into staying), leave RocNation (that looked good on paper, but they've cocked KMO up), ditch Will Baker and make a fresh start somewhere else. As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have anything left to prove with regards to major commercial success. She's had 34 top 10 hits in the UK, including seven #1 singles, 11 more top 20 hits, 15 top 10 albums, including five #1's. That's fantastic for a pop career. She needs to stop chasing hits and focus on creating strong material again that will surprise people. I want to feel the excitement I felt when I heard Confide in Me, Slow and Head for the first time. She needs a new team with fresh ideas and a fresh approach. I love when Kylie steps outside the box and experiments a little. She's done a few bits and pieces - Skirt, Whistle - over the last few years that got great reviews, she just needs to take that desire to experiment and make another album out of it. At the end of the day she gets called a flop no matter what she does, she might as well stick two fingers up and really shake things up. Plus Kiss Me Once, a very accessible and commercial dance/pop album, hasn't done that well, so she might as well try a fresh approach next time.

Anyway, to say Kylie's career is at an end is as ridiculous as saying Madonna's is after MDNA. I know some people hope and pray every year that Kylie will fade away but she isn't going anywhere. ;-)
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Ultimate Kylie also achieved strong sales.

Ultimate Kylie has surpassed 1 million :D Her Abbey Road album didn't do too badly either considering what it was. I'm pretty sure thats over 200k now. Just a shame it kinda fell off the chart after the Christmas period :(
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    Madonna and Kylie - to me are not that comparable ...
    ............in terms of sales and actual artistry they are miles apart.........

Madonna continues to sell albums and tours extremely well.......but she needs to understand that promo is still key for single success in territories out side of the USA...but i don't think singles are the goal anymore ...tours and critical acclaim are.......she is the queen of reinvention .... and i am sure that while she is breaking new ground in terms of age ...she will continue to create an interest, sell tours and be artistic.

my main concern for Kylie has been her Australian sales? Kylie needs to reconnect with modern underground dance and RnB...like she did with Taio Cruz on 'Higher' .... she still has the looks and sex appeal and needs to recapture that interest rather than rehash the Kylie sound .her current album suffers from such poor promotion and production .....i'm not sure what her tour sales are like? She actually has tour longevity ...but album and single sales are at a low ebb for her ...but they are for everyone .....she still is permanently of interest..... so she has lots left in her yet ....
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Kylie's run of singles has been hit and miss for the last five years, but she's still scored two top 10 hits since 2010, including her biggest selling single since Head in 2001, as well as two further top 20 hits. She's a pop star nearing 50 years old, she's no longer guaranteed hit after hit anymore. Madonna's the same, every single she's released since Celebration has flopped in the UK. Kylie achieved 16 top 10 hits in the UK between 2000 and 2009, that's one more than Madonna, and one less than Britney. Admittedly the sales of Kiss Me Once have been mediocre, but every studio album she has released from Light Years in 2000 to Aphrodite in 2010 has gone at least Platinum, that's hardly mediocre. Ultimate Kylie also achieved strong sales.

I can't help but laugh when people say that Kylie's career is over. A near-30 year pop career isn't going to end because of an underperforming album, all her achievements won't just be forgotten because of an underperforming album. She's had a few albums before - Impossible Princess, Let's Get to It - that have sold less than a million copies worldwide and they didn't end her career, why should Kiss Me Once? Kylie's never been a big album seller worldwide. She's had the odd big hit like her debut, Enjoy Yourself and Fever, but her albums, on average, sell between 1-2 million copies worldwide. This is why I don't agree with people calling Body Language, X and Aphrodite flops. Who knows what will happen in the future. Cher scored the biggest hit of her career in her early 50s.

I personally think she should leave Parlophone (she was going to in 2011 before they talked her into staying), leave RocNation (that looked good on paper, but they've cocked KMO up), ditch Will Baker and make a fresh start somewhere else. As far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have anything left to prove with regards to major commercial success. She's had 34 top 10 hits in the UK, including seven #1 singles, 11 more top 20 hits, 15 top 10 albums, including five #1's. That's fantastic for a pop career. She needs to stop chasing hits and focus on creating strong material again that will surprise people. I want to feel the excitement I felt when I heard Confide in Me, Slow and Head for the first time. She needs a new team with fresh ideas and a fresh approach. I love when Kylie steps outside the box and experiments a little. She's done a few bits and pieces - Skirt, Whistle - over the last few years that got great reviews, she just needs to take that desire to experiment and make another album out of it. At the end of the day she gets called a flop no matter what she does, she might as well stick two fingers up and really shake things up. Plus Kiss Me Once, a very accessible and commercial dance/pop album, hasn't done that well, so she might as well try a fresh approach next time.

Anyway, to say Kylie's career is at an end is as ridiculous as saying Madonna's is after MDNA. I know some people hope and pray every year that Kylie will fade away but she isn't going anywhere. ;-)

Edited a few mistakes.
  • Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never rule Kylie out, she has been wrote off many times in the past and has came back bigger than ever. Kylie just needs the right material, the public still have a lot of affection for her, she still managed to chart with singles recently which many established acts are failing to do but the problem is and this is from a fan Kiss Me Once was/is a huge let down,i have struggled to even like it, if she works with the right people she has a few hits left in her yet.

Kylie can still attract a buzz and can sell concerts easily, she just needs to rediscover her direction again and comeback with an almighty lead single, a few features would do her no harm either.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    I still don't get how Get Outta My Way wasn't a hit. I still love that song.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im no Kylie music fan but I loved Into The Blue.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a Kylie fan as such but she does do a very decent job of trying to evolve her music to remain fresh. Four songs featuring Kylie have made it onto my phone's music collection - Can't Get You Out Of My Head, Confide In Me, Into The Blue and Where The Wild Roses Grow. All quite different and all there because they're good songs (to my ears at least!). Seeing as I've only got 1,100 tracks on there from the 1950's to present, that's not bad.

Bowie has similarly changed with the times and isn't afraid to try different styles or plug into the current trends.

She's surely rich enough to not fret about sales and along with Geotge Michael should just carry on making good music and concede music sales are driven by a lot more factors than just the music.

In a way, the internet and social media have meant the image-led mess the charts became at the start of the 21st century has been remedied a little and a lot of decent acts are being recognised for their music again. Talents who may not have been seen as marketable are getting heard. But I digress...