Korean Movies

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
Forum Member
✭✭
I love Korean movies and I'm looking to find some good ones to watch.

So far I have seen:

Oldboy
I Saw the Devil
Memories of Murder
A Tale of Two Sisters
Audition
The Host
Thirst
Lady Vengeance
A Bittersweet Life
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
I'm a Cyborg
Hansel & Gretel

I think that's it. Any others you'd recommend?

Comments

• ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ichi the Killer
    The Chaser

Both good Korean films .

Do they have to be Korean , maybe Hong Kong, Japan etc ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    Ichi the Killer
    The Chaser

Both good Korean films .

No, not neccessarily. It's just that I've seen a lot of Korean films, and maybe just one Japanese film that I can think of. But if you know any good Japanese films as well then definitely suggest :)
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Korean - "Fighter In The Wind"
    Thai = "Warrior King", "Ong Bak", "Chocolate"
    Japanese = "Kuro Obi (Black Belt)"
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ichi the Killer
    The Chaser

Both good Korean films .

:cool: The Chaser is excellent.I think it was shown for the first time ever on tv last year.Real edge of the seat stuff,from start to finish.
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dragon Wars: D-War is the only Korean film I've seen. I don't recommend it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    petit-pois wrote: »
    I love Korean movies and I'm looking to find some good ones to watch.

So far I have seen:

Oldboy
    I Saw the Devil
    Memories of Murder
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    Audition
    The Host
    Thirst
    Lady Vengeance
    A Bittersweet Life
    Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
    I'm a Cyborg
    Hansel & Gretel

I think that's it. Any others you'd recommend?
    You seen all of them but not The Chaser yet? :confused:

Also watch The Devils Game, brilliant film but a bit less known than the ones you listed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil's_Game

One of my favourite films of all time!

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all!

I'm gonna have a look at your suggestions on IMDb and maybe make a few purchases on Play.com :D
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chaser and memories of murder are both excellent.

also are confessions and colf fish korean? i've seen them both this year, both very good

you forgot the host!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R-Point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »
    the chaser and memories of murder are both excellent.

also are confessions and colf fish korean? i've seen them both this year, both very good

you forgot the host!

I've seen Memories of Murder and The Host. Both awesome films.

I'll have a look at your other suggestions!
  • cupoteacupotea Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shutter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy watching My Sassy Girl and the original name is Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (2001)
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mother
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter & Spring
    3 Iron
    Brotherhood
    Peppermint Candy
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joint Security Area - a murder mystery thriller; a JSA officer investigates the murder of a soldier
    Mother - a poor, single mother investigates to find the truth after her son, who has a learning disability, is accused of murder
    Voice of a Murderer - a fictional account of a true event of a child kidnapping that changes his parents' lives. Quite gripping, and the bit after the ending is chilly.
    Bedevilled - an abused woman avenges her child's death on islanders
    A Dirty Carnival - a gangster's right hand man is caught in a dilemma
    Blood Rain - a period murder mystery; a Royal-appointed investigator is sent to investigate a series of murders (loosely based on a true event, but it was never solved)
    Shadows in the Palace - a period murder mystery; a female doctor suspects a dead woman is a murder victim and decides to investigates, not realising she's walked into a world of political intrigue, family ties, and the past.
    Outlaw - a police officer bucks against the law to go after a brutal serial killer
    The Chaser - a pimp races against time to save one of his girls from a serial killer; a highly fictionalised account of a real life event
    Il Mare - a quiet love story involving time-traveling letters
    3-Iron - a near silent film of a young man who breaks into people's empty homes and an abused wife joins his journey
    Gangster High - a group of youths and the violence that could ruin their future
    Save the Green Planet! - a UFO-crazed man kidnaps a company executive because he suspects he's an alien.
    Blood and Bones - Japanese film, but it revolves around a Korean immigrant (Takeshi "Beat" Kitano, who's quarter Korean in real life) and the Korean immigrant community in Japan during 1930s. Very dark and brutal.

Not highly recommended but I found these interesting ---

Attack the Gas Station! - a black comedy about a gang's attack on a petrol station
    Peppermint Candy - twenty years of a tormented man's life in reverse
    R-Point - a supernatural thriller involving soldiers in a cursed place; some references to Apocalypse Now.
    Taegukgi - two brothers in a war
    Bungee Jumping of Their Own - a man discovers the whereabouts of his late beloved's soul
    H - another serial killer thriller
    One Fine Spring Day - a love affair that lasts a year; a bit like Blue Valentine, but less stark, more gentle and quieter
    Please Teach Me English - a cute comedy about a woman and a man who struggle to learn English at a conversational school
    April Snow - a woman and a man have an affair after discovering their spouses, who were together when they were in a car crash and now in coma, were having an affair
    Righteous Ties - gangster's revenge
    The Customer is Always Right - a black comedy
    Failan - a man discovers how much his wife loved him through her letters
    Natural City - think Blade Runner
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird - a spaghetti western
    Eye for an Eye - a heist job
    Art Museum by the Zoo - an oddball romance; a soldier on leave turns up at his girlfriend's apartment and finds someone else living there instead
    Tazza - a world of card tricksters
    The Big Swindle - con men vs a bank
    2009: Lost Memories - time travel
    Anarchists - 1920s political drama
    Wanee & Junah

There are more, but I think these will do for now. :o If you want a list of Thai, Japanese or Hong Kong films, let me know. :D I love my job!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ichi the Killer
    The Chaser

Both good Korean films .

No offence meant, but Ichi the Killer is Japanese.
  • ruddigerruddiger Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    No offence meant, but Ichi the Killer is Japanese.

None taken , my bad :o
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    I've seen and liked a lot:
    Save the Green Planet! - tense, dark film about a guy who thinks aliens live on Earth
    City of Violence - a Korean gangster film (kind of) with cracking fights :)
    The Good The Bad and the Weird - great fun homage to Spaghetti Westerns :)
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joint Security Area - a murder mystery thriller; a JSA officer investigates the murder of a soldier
    Mother - a poor, single mother investigates to find the truth after her son, who has a learning disability, is accused of murder
    Voice of a Murderer - a fictional account of a true event of a child kidnapping that changes his parents' lives. Quite gripping, and the bit after the ending is chilly.
    Bedevilled - an abused woman avenges her child's death on islanders
    A Dirty Carnival - a gangster's right hand man is caught in a dilemma
    Blood Rain - a period murder mystery; a Royal-appointed investigator is sent to investigate a series of murders (loosely based on a true event, but it was never solved)
    Shadows in the Palace - a period murder mystery; a female doctor suspects a dead woman is a murder victim and decides to investigates, not realising she's walked into a world of political intrigue, family ties, and the past.
    Outlaw - a police officer bucks against the law to go after a brutal serial killer
    The Chaser - a pimp races against time to save one of his girls from a serial killer; a highly fictionalised account of a real life event
    Il Mare - a quiet love story involving time-traveling letters
    3-Iron - a near silent film of a young man who breaks into people's empty homes and an abused wife joins his journey
    Gangster High - a group of youths and the violence that could ruin their future
    Save the Green Planet! - a UFO-crazed man kidnaps a company executive because he suspects he's an alien.
    Blood and Bones - Japanese film, but it revolves around a Korean immigrant (Takeshi "Beat" Kitano, who's quarter Korean in real life) and the Korean immigrant community in Japan during 1930s. Very dark and brutal.

Not highly recommended but I found these interesting ---

Attack the Gas Station! - a black comedy about a gang's attack on a petrol station
    Peppermint Candy - twenty years of a tormented man's life in reverse
    R-Point - a supernatural thriller involving soldiers in a cursed place; some references to Apocalypse Now.
    Taegukgi - two brothers in a war
    Bungee Jumping of Their Own - a man discovers the whereabouts of his late beloved's soul
    H - another serial killer thriller
    One Fine Spring Day - a love affair that lasts a year; a bit like Blue Valentine, but less stark, more gentle and quieter
    Please Teach Me English - a cute comedy about a woman and a man who struggle to learn English at a conversational school
    April Snow - a woman and a man have an affair after discovering their spouses, who were together when they were in a car crash and now in coma, were having an affair
    Righteous Ties - gangster's revenge
    The Customer is Always Right - a black comedy
    Failan - a man discovers how much his wife loved him through her letters
    Natural City - think Blade Runner
    The Good, the Bad, the Weird - a spaghetti western
    Eye for an Eye - a heist job
    Art Museum by the Zoo - an oddball romance; a soldier on leave turns up at his girlfriend's apartment and finds someone else living there instead
    Tazza - a world of card tricksters
    The Big Swindle - con men vs a bank
    2009: Lost Memories - time travel
    Anarchists - 1920s political drama
    Wanee & Junah

There are more, but I think these will do for now. :o If you want a list of Thai, Japanese or Hong Kong films, let me know. :D I love my job!

:) Splendid effort Takae.
    What bugs me is.Why do the tv stations never show the majority of these films.Yet will show the same films i.e Saving Private Ryan,over and over and over again?.
    Most people don't watch it because they've seen it 4 times already and know the script off by heart.
    I wish they'd be a bit more adventurous.And stop putting the foreign films on at 2am,on a Tuesday morning.:mad:
    The Chaser.Brilliant film.Ask anyone if they've ever seen it 'no,never heard of it' is all you ever hear.
  • jdm271541jdm271541 Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    'The Man from Nowhere'

Koreans make great ganster movies and this is another one to add to that list.
  • PheebShirlPheebShirl Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Welcome to Dongmakgol, found it very emotional.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Has anyone mentioned Musa (The Warrior)? That one's very good :)
    Also Shiri is a great movie - been a while since I saw it but some of it is so sad :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member

This is next on my list of ones to watch - only heard good things about it

Takae, your list is fabulous - thanks for taking the time to do it! If you ever felt like adding to it, with Japanese or Hong Kong films, that would be amazing ;)
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Chaw" was a pretty good film. It's similar to "The Host" except this one is about a giant, mutant man-eating boar that's on the loose. Trailer LINK

If you're in the mood for "disaster' films, then I recommend "Haeundae". It's about a massive tsunami that threatens South Korea. Its been awhile since I last watched it but I recall that the special effects were pretty good. Trailer LINK

Tech Lover wrote: »
    I enjoy watching My Sassy Girl and the original name is Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (2001)

There's also prequel (well, kind of a prequel. "My Sassy Girl" fans are still debating it :) ). Anyway it's called "Windswept". Tears will flow when you watch this one so prepare yourself and have a box of tissues ready by your side.

U96 wrote: »
    :) Splendid effort Takae.
    What bugs me is.Why do the tv stations never show the majority of these films.Yet will show the same films i.e Saving Private Ryan,over and over and over again?.

Most people don't watch it because they've seen it 4 times already and know the script off by heart.
    I wish they'd be a bit more adventurous.And stop putting the foreign films on at 2am,on a Tuesday morning.:mad:

We don't have that problem here in the US (at least in my neck of the woods). There are so many channels devoted to foreign entertainment. For instance my cable provider has about 5 different Korean channels for me to watch so I've been watching quite a bit of South Korean TV & Films over the years. :)
  • bob_fossilbob_fossil Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    There's also prequel (well, kind of a prequel. "My Sassy Girl" fans are still debating it :) ). Anyway it's called "Windswept". Tears will flow when you watch this one so prepare yourself and have a box of tissues ready by your side

Love these! Also gonna check out the other ones listed here.
  • the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Has anyone mentioned Musa (The Warrior)? That one's very good :)
    I also thought The Warrior was a great film, I love korean films.