The Hateful Eight(Tarantino's new film)

124»

Comments

• dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it, an interesting addition to QT's portfolio.

The Morricone sound was great to me but it felt a little out of place. It was too grand and epic, something subtle would've sufficed.

It had the feel of a Coen brothers film.

We know he likes tip the hat, so perhaps he's paying homage to them.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed this, had a western type Columbo feel to it in parts, his best film since Pulp Fiction.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    I think it's possibly his best since Jackie Brown (which I love) but I need to see it again.

The film seems a lot more consistent in its theme from start to end, compared to Inglorious and Django, which were both still decent but a little higgledy piggledy at times.

So yeah, I think it's the most natural-feeling Tarantino film since JB in that nothing jars at all or takes you out of the story (apart from the odd musical piece which could be questioned).

Maybe my 4th favourite QT film behind Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I got to see it last week in 70 mm. With the extra footage, overture and intermission, etc. That version. The cinematography looked great(although, it would have looked great in digital - but not as wide in aspect ratio), the score was great as well, standout performances from Samuel L. Jackson and Jennifer Jason Leigh. It has the whole Agatha Christie whodunnit feel to it. It's way too long(I would say that you could one hour and a half). It's a bit self indulgent. I wish there was a bit more thematic depth to it(Tarantino does seem to be lacking in this in his recent films - compare this to something like Reservoir Dogs and the whole "honour amongst thieves theme - and how, ultimately there is none). Yes - it's interesting - unlike the Kill Bill films - which left me cold. However, I do think the execution was poor here. A little more focus, and less self indulgence for Mr. Tarantino in the future. I'd say it's his sixth best film, after Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown, Inglorious B@stards and Django Unchained.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also saw it in 70mm. The only differences I noticed between it and the screener were more outside establishing shots and Domergue's botany bay song being longer in the former. Still it looked amazing.

I also think it's QT's best film since Jackie Brown.