Options

Movies that were announced but never happened...

iammeiamme Posts: 283
Forum Member
I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. Last night I was thinking about some of the films that have been announced, rumored in the past but never actually happened or have been stuck in development for some time.

I remember reading an article some years ago about Anne Hathaway being cast in a biopic film of Judy Garland but nothing ever seemed to have come of it.

I also remember reading that actress Emma Thompson was looking to do a remake of My Fair Lady. various actresses were rumored with the last being Carey Mulligan but again nothing seems to have come of it.

I also remember for years there as been talk about reviving the Carry On films this seems to have been going on for some 15 years but still nothing.

What ones can other people remember?.

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    20-odd years ago, there was lots of talk of a remake of 'Barbarella'. It was to feature Sherilyn Fenn, who was almost unbelievably hot at that time, coming off the back of Twin Peaks.

Such a shame they never made it.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we had this thread before once.

Buckaroo Banzai Vs The World Crime League.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A gypsy remake with Barbra Streisand
    A Janis Joplin biopic with Amy Adams
    A Freddy mercury biopic
    A film about Woodstock with Taylor swift playing Joni Mitchell
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It's a bit like film studios announcing sequels then quietly dropping them. Fantastic 4 &Terminator Genisys spring to mind as two recent ones.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    It's a bit like film studios announcing sequels then quietly dropping them. Fantastic 4 &Terminator Genisys spring to mind as two recent ones.

But considering both those films lost their studios a hell of a lot of money. it's understandable why they have been dropped.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, just because a film hasn't been released yet, doesn't necessarily mean it won't. The Freddie Mercury biopic for e.g. appears to have had problems, but is still in production.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Didn't think the Terminator film lost money, it just didn't make as much as they hoped it would. Or am I wrong ?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think the Terminator film lost money, it just didn't make as much as they hoped it would. Or am I wrong ?

It probably broke even or even made a little profit...but performed pretty badly in the US/Canada box office, which is more likely the reason for a follow up film being cancelled or put on hold.
  • Options
    square-rootsquare-root Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I'm sure that last year, Stallone said he'd be making a new Rambo film and that the script was being written. He's now said it won't be happening as he's too old to do it.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kubrick's Napoleon project, starring Jack Nicholson.

When that finally fell through he used his extensive period research while making Barry Lyndon.

Spielberg is now panning to make it as a TV mini-series.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

I will be shocked if they don't make another Terminator film sooner or later and Genisys was better than 3-4 (IMO)

Fantastic 4 will get another reboot in 5 years or less if Fox doesn't make one within 5 years the movie rights go back to Marvel/Disney.
  • Options
    cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The live action version of Ghost in the Shell is due for release next year*: http://screenrant.com/ghost-shell-movie-disney-paramount/

*been due in the 'next year or so' for around a decade.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conan the King with Arnie as Conan.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Conan the King with Arnie as Conan.
    Arnie, last week in Edinburgh said:
    “Yes,” confirms Arnold, “as a matter of fact, it (The Legend of Conan) has been written and we are now looking for directors so this is a serious drive (now for Conan).”

"One of the advantages for when you train every day,” begins Arnold, "when you bicycle everyday, when you work out every day is that age is not registering in the body the same with everyone else. Because when you stay in shape, you do turn back the clock. So I feel great and the last few movies that I’ve done, I’ve done many of my own stunts. I did all the physical stuff and it didn’t wipe me out and I have plenty of energy and feel really terrific. So I am absolutely convinced that I can do the Conan movie and do the horseback riding, the sword fights and all the fighting.”

Producer Frederick Malmberg;
    Yes, Chris Morgan and I are meeting with directors at this moment. Interest is high, many are fans of Conan but we are not rushing. We have a great script and now we need the right director for the job.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been rumours of a film version of 'The Dice Man' for so long that actors I thought would be good in the part are too old now.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superman lives
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crusade with Schwarzennegar. Budget was too astronomical so it was shelved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic 4 will get another reboot in 5 years or less if Fox doesn't make one within 5 years the movie rights go back to Marvel/Disney.

Fox may as well let the rights go there is no point flogging a dead horse.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Batman VS Superman was meant to happen years ago. Directed by Tim Burton if i recall.
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member

Oh i hope so, so then it can finally get a proper Marvel adaptation. I don'r see Fox rebooting this for a third time, the latest one lost them alot of money.
  • Options
    mystery23mystery23 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely Amy Adams playing Janis Joplin. That seems to have been rumoured for years now
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Batman VS Superman was meant to happen years ago. Directed by Tim Burton if i recall.

That was a film called Superman Lives I believe. Warner Bros spent many years and $40 million plus developing various Superman films in the 90's. There are photos of Nicolas Cage in the costume for this, & there's a section in the 'An Evening With Kevin Smith' dvd on it, featuring absurd demands from the producers for the script, including they wanted a giant mechanical spider in the movie (It ended up in Wild Wild West!)
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    That was a film called Superman Lives I believe. Warner Bros spent many years and $40 million plus developing various Superman films in the 90's. There are photos of Nicolas Cage in the costume for this, & there's a section in the 'An Evening With Kevin Smith' dvd on it, featuring absurd demands from the producers for the script, including they wanted a giant mechanical spider in the movie (It ended up in Wild Wild West!)

They made a film about the film that was never made:
    http://www.tdoslwh.com/

Pretty interesting; some of the concepts look great, some (like the outfit) not so much.

btw I saw it via 'other means'.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Crusade with Schwarzennegar. Budget was too astronomical so it was shelved.

This one?

https://oneroomwithaview.com/2014/08/17/best-films-never-made-18-paul-verhoevens-crusade/

I believe part of the reason "Crusade" was shelved was that the pitch reached "Saw"
    levels of violence (including a lengthy castration scene :o, and other family-unfriendly moments).

"Divine Rapture" starring Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp. This flick started filming in Ireland in 1995, then was cancelled due to financial problems. It got a lot of coverage in the Irish media at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/nov/26/brando-depp-divine-rapture