Fox channel to come off BT TV

124»

Comments

• Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with selling exclusivity from a business perspective. The Premier League should be free to sell how they want.

They are. The Premier League is free to sell to only one broadcaster, if it chooses. The European Commission ruling that forced them to sell to more than one broadcaster (paving the way for Setanta) was only temporary and expired in 2011, so didn't apply when BT entered the TV rights market. The PL have continued selling to at least two broadcasters presumably to inflate the cost of the rights. Looking at what Sky paid last time to avoid losing to BT, it has worked..
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Setanta went away. ESPN (Disney) tried to make a go of it straight afterwards. Disney gave up, so they sold ESPN to BT. Now BT is trying.

Someone else will give it a go if BT gives up.

This is why we need to end exclusivity. It would drive real competition and innovation - and perhaps lower prices for customers too.

Lots of people are resorting to those dodgy streaming services because they don't feel like paying Sky/BT £60 a month to watch the odd game. The providers and the football leagues need to take note of this.

As a non-BT customer I don't like the fact that my money is potentially being used to help pay for these sports rights, to be given away to BT's own customers.

Don't expect that to continue....BT are quite happy to renew the terms of what you sign up for and are given....would not at all be surprised for BTTV customers to start having to pay for their sports very soon, once they have enough customers signed up/renewed new contracts.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they do that? They'll obviously make a lot less money selling equal access than they do from the bidding wars every few years. The big value to the rights is in the exclusivity a point you obviously understand.

There's nothing wrong with selling exclusivity from a business perspective. The Premier League should be free to sell how they want. The problems really started when regulators started mandating that the Premier League couldn't sell all their broadcast rights to one broadcaster. It got BT into the game and has driven bidding through the roof. The only way this problem goes away now is if BT TV goes away, and that's why I celebrate their every setback as a step towards achieving the final solution.
    Let's see how it all pans out , the bubble will burst sooner or later. People are already starting to get fed up of constant price increases year on year.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    BT is pushing prices up not down. BT has been a disaster for the consumer, especially those who take both BT and Sky. You claim to have both BT and Sky but you haven't noticed how much more you're now paying in total?

When I say I'm paying a few quid for BT TV that's what I mean, less than £5. But my situation isn't normal.

I can see where you're coming from with your last sentence, but I think that Sky have increased their prices so much and reduced the nunber of packages that it's not true.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Why would they do that? They'll obviously make a lot less money selling equal access than they do from the bidding wars every few years. The big value to the rights is in the exclusivity a point you obviously understand.

There's nothing wrong with selling exclusivity from a business perspective. The Premier League should be free to sell how they want. The problems really started when regulators started mandating that the Premier League couldn't sell all their broadcast rights to one broadcaster. It got BT into the game and has driven bidding through the roof. The only way this problem goes away now is if BT TV goes away, and that's why I celebrate their every setback as a step towards achieving the final solution.

Have you forgotten that Sky has ramped up its pricing year on year on year or are you just plain out to hate BT and ignore that Sky even before the bidding wars raised its prices every year anyway?!
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect BT to respond to this. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch another AMC exclusive type channel. With Amazon making loads of new shows no longer will Sky be the place to get all the content.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect BT to respond to this. I wouldn't be surprised if they launch another AMC exclusive type channel. With Amazon making loads of new shows no longer will Sky be the place to get all the content.

I hope in time this well happen but I think it maybe with the likes of Netflix say as BT also offer Netflix as part of an add on.
    Channel would have to also broadcast more hours than AMC dose the now.
    Its about time BT upped there game to take Sky on and not just with sport.
    I already had Netflix before BT started offering it.

Darren
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week's AMC Top ten from BARB.
    1 BREAKING BAD S2 (FRI 2100) 7
    2 MANHATTAN S1 (TUE 2532) 5
    3 WEEDS S4 (WED 2100) 3
    4 WEEDS S4 (WED 2136) 3
    5 BUTTERFLY EFFECT (SAT 2101) 2
    6 BREAKING BAD S2 (TUE 2201) 1
    7 LOVERBOY (TUE 1901) 1
    8 DEAD ZONE THE (THU 2102) * n
    9 DEAD ZONE THE (SUN 2301) * n
    10 WAR INC. (MON 2301) *

An exclusive BT channel where the highest rating programme gets 7,000 and someone suggests they launch another one!!!

What extravagance from BT having an SD and HD stream on satellite for nothing.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Last week's AMC Top ten from BARB.

An exclusive BT channel where the highest rating programme gets 7,000 and someone suggests they launch another one!!!

What extravagance from BT having an SD and HD stream on satellite for nothing.

I know crazy isn't it. :D I don't think BT will be bothering launching another channel anytime in the foreseeable future.

There are probably YouTube producers on here who publish videos that attract more viewers than AMC.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,401
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Setanta went away. ESPN (Disney) tried to make a go of it straight afterwards. Disney gave up, so they sold ESPN to BT. Now BT is trying.

Someone else will give it a go if BT gives up.

This is why we need to end exclusivity. It would drive real competition and innovation - and perhaps lower prices for customers too.

Lots of people are resorting to those dodgy streaming services because they don't feel like paying Sky/BT £60 a month to watch the odd game. The providers and the football leagues need to take note of this.

As a non-BT customer I don't like the fact that my money is potentially being used to help pay for these sports rights, to be given away to BT's own customers.

Setanta still exists in the UK broadcasting Saturday 3pm football games to pubs. It was the only place in the UK to watch live the Liverpool fans walk out and then them turn a 2-0 lead into a defeat, so still broadcasting some high profile content.
  • Options
    purple_kathrynpurple_kathryn Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I'm with BT, just got the email from them today and I don't want to swap to something like sky. Is there another way for me to (legimately) get Fox? (There are a few things I watch on the channel including the Walking Dead)

Or if I sign up for something like Netflix - are the most recent episodes available?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look back in the thread FOX is on NOW TV still.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    look back in the thread FOX is on NOW TV still.

Can I get Now TV if I'm on BT TV though?
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I get Now TV if I'm on BT TV though?

Yes. And you can pay for only the months you want to watch. And you get Sky1/Living/Atlantic among others.
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with BT, just got the email from them today and I don't want to swap to something like sky.

Fox is available from Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk TV, and Now TV.

NowTV will require a compatible set top box or smart TV, but will work with any broadband provider.

TalkTalk TV requires a phone line and broadband from TalkTalk, Virgin does not require those but obviously still needs a physical line installed.

Sky just needs the satellite.

HD is only available via Virgin and Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Yes. And you can pay for only the months you want to watch. And you get Sky1/Living/Atlantic among others.

Brilliant Thanks. I'm a bit clueless about things like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    mavreela wrote: »
    Fox is available from Sky, Virgin, TalkTalk TV, and Now TV.

NowTV will require a compatible set top box or smart TV, but will work with any broadband provider.

TalkTalk TV requires a phone line and broadband from TalkTalk, Virgin does not require those but obviously still needs a physical line installed.

Sky just needs the satellite.

HD is only available via Virgin and Sky.

NowTV does have HD (720p) for on demand programming on most platforms, and despite publicly stating that their live streams are SD only on all platforms (with the honourable exception of AppleTV) the Sky branded channels and Fox seem to stream at a much higher quality - certainly on a PS3 and via Chromecast.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    There's a guide to Now TV "maximum available streaming quality" per device at:
    http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell, this "Fox" channel offers little or no programming you can't find elsewhere, such as on other TV channels, streaming services, DVDs etc.
  • Options
    JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My colleague called to cancel his BTTV today as he's a big walking dead fan, got offered £20 credit on his account in order to buy them from the BT store
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    JARV wrote: »
    My colleague called to cancel his BTTV today as he's a big walking dead fan, got offered £20 credit on his account in order to buy them from the BT store

Oh dear.
  • Options
    A Lorna MoonA Lorna Moon Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

BT are not going away, they are in it for the long haul, anyway once Murdoch senior dies his kids will make a mess as they fight over and do things their ways, it old Murdoch that's keeping things on the strait and narrow, without him at the helm it will be a mess.
  • Options
    Richard_CraniumRichard_Cranium Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Yay! Smiley faces all round! Less choice for the viewers. I can see why you're really happy about this

IT makes you sick doesnt IT:D