Options

Windows 10 not ready

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
Forum Member
Well my laptop upgraded to windows 10 this morning and I could not do nothing about it. But when it finally updated I could not connect to the internet using sky. I tried numerous things including resetting the router but nothing worked. Eventually the only thing I could do was restore back to windows 8.1 and the internet connection was back instantly. Looks like microsoft has lot of bugs to fix

Comments

• Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it unless your downloading the "trial" version:

Windows 10 pegged for late July release

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-pegged-for-late-july-release-1291488
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you initiate the upgrade?
    I don't think the final version is released yet so you must have installed the Beta?
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't just upgrade to Windows 10, you'd have to initiate the install, it's still in preview testing! unless you're the first in the world to get the free update, automatically, which you aren't.

Something else may have updated of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    lambcheck wrote: »
    Well my laptop upgraded to windows 10 this morning and I could not do nothing about it. But when it finally updated I could not connect to the internet using sky. I tried numerous things including resetting the router but nothing worked. Eventually the only thing I could do was restore back to windows 8.1 and the internet connection was back instantly. Looks like microsoft has lot of bugs to fix
    supposed to be ready in 6days
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    offmore10 wrote: »
    supposed to be ready in 6days

Or, more correctly, MS were understood to be aiming for June for RTM:

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-rtm-june-is-the-target

Therefore, a public release could be a bit later, this report suggests July:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2911544/windows-10-will-launch-in-late-july-says-amd-ceo.html
  • Options
    Y MeY Me Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lambcheck wrote: »
    This is rubbish. I downloaded a Windows 10 Beta months ago and it has been and still is working faultlessly on my laptop; connection to the Internet was automatic.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with Windows 10 still in testing phase, many applications may not currently be compatible with it. My guess is an antivirus and/or firewall program not liking the upgrade to Windows 10 and somehow interfering with internet access was the cause of the OP's issues. Just because Windows 10 preview works fine for some, doesn't mean it works fine for everyone!

For what it's worth I tried the Windows 10 Preview a few weeks back on my PC (which had been running Windows 7 just fine for a number of years) and ran into all sorts of issues, not least of which was Windows just failing to start up at all and just sitting with a blank screen. Had to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 in the end so I decided I would wait until the finished article. I suspect doing an upgrade on an older Windows installation that likely had several old drivers etc. rather than doing a fresh install perhaps didn't help - I will likely do a fresh install when it launches properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon69c wrote: »

For what it's worth I tried the Windows 10 Preview a few weeks back on my PC (which had been running Windows 7 just fine for a number of years) and ran into all sorts of issues, not least of which was Windows just failing to start up at all and just sitting with a blank screen. Had to do a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 in the end so I decided I would wait until the finished article. I suspect doing an upgrade on an older Windows installation that likely had several old drivers etc. rather than doing a fresh install perhaps didn't help - I will likely do a fresh install when it launches properly.

That doesn't fill me with much hope!

I qualify for the free upgrade to 10 but if i run into problems i don't have a Win 7 disc to do a free install with as it was pre-loaded in the laptop.

I haven't looked around but is it possible to download a copy of Win 7 from Microsoft and use the activation key on the bottom of my laptop to activate it?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »

I qualify for the free upgrade to 10 but if i run into problems i don't have a Win 7 disc to do a free install with as it was pre-loaded in the laptop.

I haven't looked around but is it possible to download a copy of Win 7 from Microsoft and use the activation key on the bottom of my laptop to activate it?

You should have a restore partition on the HDD of your laptop, and can reinstall the original installation from that.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member

[/B

Yes, supported by Microsoft ] http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Did you initiate the upgrade?
    I don't think the final version is released yet so you must have installed the Beta?
    No did not initiate the download. I switch my laptop on, entered my password and was presented with a screen saying "Now upgrading to windows 10. This might take a while and your pc will restart several times" and there was no option to cancel
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you got children / other house members who may have downloaded windows 10 and installed it on a USB stick or DVD?

Because what you are stating has happened really cant have happened all on its own.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may stand corrected and Windows 10 may be an optional update from Windows updates. Did you select Windows updates to install?
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    I may stand corrected and Windows 10 may be an optional update from Windows updates. Did you select Windows updates to install?

See here
    http://betanews.com/2015/01/25/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-via-windows-update/
    but installation in the way the OP says it happened does not seem possible

"Although you can download Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926 through Windows Update, it will not show up by default. First of all you need to install a small update which you can download from the Technical Preview page -- head to this page and click the 'Start upgrade now' button. Take note of the warnings on this page. "
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is no where near ready, windows 10 have just failed on me as I was not able to get Explorer up and access any files. According to the task bar it was running, but nothing would display on the screen.

Not my main Os, just a sidething on another drive.
  • Options
    OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    See here
    http://betanews.com/2015/01/25/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-or-8-to-windows-10-via-windows-update/
    but installation in the way the OP says it happened does not seem possible

"Although you can download Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926 through Windows Update, it will not show up by default. First of all you need to install a small update which you can download from the Technical Preview page -- head to this page and click the 'Start upgrade now' button. Take note of the warnings on this page. "

That would seem to be the only way it could have happened, I suspect another person may have tinkered with the PC and upon reboot it presented the OP with this new feature being installed. Seems incredibly unlikely to happen without user intervention to initiate the update.