Family Guy edited?? (BBC 3) NCIS (Channel 5)

kezokezo Posts: 11,086
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watching Family Guy on BBC3 and they have edited the episode Peter Griffin Father Husband .... Brother???

I haven't watched I think its Season 1 or 2 in ages (on DVD) but there was a scene "cut" .... it just suddenly went to black briefly and was on its after 11pm and why the edit?? :eek:

Mind you I noticed a couple weeks ago Channel 5 also edited the episode of "Legend" (episode crossover with NCIS:LA)
the part in this episode was your seeing the person "hanging" from a building as X marks the spot but they make "slow" edits (slow part scene or replace with something else few secs ago) and resumed I am pretty sure there is something Ducky says but is missed out .... I did see this very episode on FX not long ago (not sure if it was on daytime slot or it was the 7-9pm slot but episode was left intact)

so why do networks make "edits" I understand sometimes if its for children (during the daytime) but I don't understand some of these edits

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    With regards to Family Guy. The DVD contains the extended versions of episodes, but they aren't flagged as such. So the episode was probably the uncut broadcast version....

What time was NCIS on Channel 5, because they do cut episodes pre-watershed....
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to Family Guy. The DVD contains the extended versions of episodes, but they aren't flagged as such. So the episode was probably the uncut broadcast version....

What time was NCIS on Channel 5, because they do cut episodes pre-watershed....

That Family Guy episode has always been shown in full as far as I remember on BBC 3 - but its "cut" not "uncut"

The NCIS on channel 5 was on about 7.15pm (Satuday)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last night and I think I know the bit you're talking about. The bit when Peter finds out his descendant was owned as a slave by Lois' dad? I think it just faded to black and back very briefly because it was the act break. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last night and I think I know the bit you're talking about. The bit when Peter finds out his descendant was owned as a slave by Lois' dad? I think it just faded to black and back very briefly because it was the act break. :)

You sure?? I am sure its that bit where he "says time for me to go" (what he done at the college), usually if its an "act break" you barely see it unless its on DVD whereas the BBC edit it runs nonstop (if you look at most updated Family Guy) ... still odd to me why the edit.

I took it as if I missed something when it done that, I need to check out that season on DVD again

CORRECTION @theonlyweeman - that NCIS Legend was on at 8.15pm (couple saturdays ago) (CH 5 airs NCIS on sat nights from after 7pm)
    Forum Member
    kezo wrote: »
    That Family Guy episode has always been shown in full as far as I remember on BBC 3 - but its "cut" not "uncut"
    I meant that it was uncut by the BBC, but I see your point.

I think all pre-watershed showings of NCIS are cut. C5 do it a lot, they did it with Once Upon A Time (which premièred uncut at 8PM and has been shown cut ever since - always pre-watershed)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant that it was uncut by the BBC, but I see your point.

I think all pre-watershed showings of NCIS are cut. C5 do it a lot, they did it with Once Upon A Time (which premièred uncut at 8PM and has been shown cut ever since - always pre-watershed)

Editing of shows in UK is just weird - sky now warn you that "some scenes might not be suitable for younger viewers" when they show Criminal Minds on during the day, FX as far as I see seem to show NCIS uncut and thats during the day (again correct me here) but thats a first I have ever seen Family Guy been edited on BBC3! (not angry at BBC but just bewildered really since its on at 11pm and not repeated later)
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen CSI being cut on Living during the day if its a gruesome scene, one where black mould comes out of the guys eye is one such scene thats cut.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Editing of shows in UK is just weird - sky now warn you that "some scenes might not be suitable for younger viewers" when they show Criminal Minds on during the day, FX as far as I see seem to show NCIS uncut and thats during the day (again correct me here) but thats a first I have ever seen Family Guy been edited on BBC3! (not angry at BBC but just bewildered really since its on at 11pm and not repeated later)

Sometimes they beep out references from FG and American Dad on the BBC. The line about "Hayley's excitement" from the ep "100 AD" was completely beeped out
    when it was shown on BBC-which is odd, because it was shown
    well after the watershed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes they beep out references from FG and American Dad on the BBC. The line about "Hayley's excitement" from the ep "100 AD" was completely beeped out

Thats the other thing as well is swearing being bleeped (if this is the FOX TV versions of course they are using) sometimes the bleeping to me works but other times I rather hear it (guess you can't please everybody)

I understand making cuts when needed but surely after 9pm or even 10pm you can let it out with the swearing and the "edits" - its like the episode about smoking weed yet I thought that would be "cut" (don't ask me why) but its kept on but to do some "fading" and "bleeping" is a bit unecessary i think, its an adult cartoon for pity sake!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen CSI being cut on Living during the day if its a gruesome scene, one where black mould comes out of the guys eye is one such scene thats cut.

I can understand in some programmes such as CSI, but I am aware though Sky Living warns viewers during the day on some of its programming and as far as I was aware of Criminal Minds did get the edit treatment but last time I checked (a while ago) seems to be played in full without cuts (as the warning has been issued before programme starts) - but I think in a way with this channel in particular its aiming at adults and not young children (shouldnt be watching)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can understand in some programmes such as CSI, but I am aware though Sky Living warns viewers during the day on some of its programming and as far as I was aware of Criminal Minds did get the edit treatment but last time I checked (a while ago) seems to be played in full without cuts (as the warning has been issued before programme starts) - but I think in a way with this channel in particular its aiming at adults and not young children (shouldnt be watching)

I've seen some of Criminal Minds getting cut, but not enough to detract from the story, its more they cut showing gruesome bodies, or excess blood etc. But as you say they still do the warning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen some of Criminal Minds getting cut, but not enough to detract from the story, its more they cut showing gruesome bodies, or excess blood etc. But as you say they still do the warning.

Exactly :)

I'll give you the example of NCIS I mentioned (briefly remember) .... you seen the person up in the building "hanging across the balcony" (can not describe but was a X anyway, the NCIS team and ducky are investigating the cause etc then on CH5 edit suddenly is cut and you end up losing what happened (ie say he was describing the "gruesome" injuries) I think when editing was done on this one they did slow it down but then ending up jumping to next scene (in my mind it didnt make sense to when i viewed that same episode on FX!)
    Forum Member

Family Guy is produced in two different versions (possibly three, but let's stick to two because it's easier). A broadcast version and a DVD version. The broadcast version is around 22 mins long and bleeps swearing (and some other terminology, such as "masturbate"). The DVD version is as long as the producers want it to be and does not bleep swearing. There is no fully unbleeped broadcast version available...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Family Guy is produced in two different versions (possibly three, but let's stick to two because it's easier). A broadcast version and a DVD version. The broadcast version is around 22 mins long and bleeps swearing (and some other terminology, such as "masturbate"). The DVD version is as long as the producers want it to be and does not bleep swearing. There is no fully unbleeped broadcast version available...

I understand what you mean here, but I am pretty sure I have seen on BBC 3 using the two different versions, I can't remember the episode being exact but Brian and Stewie hijack a car (I think story was about Rupert and they had to venture north think it was Alaska) ..... so you see Stewie say to the driver "I said get the **** out the car get out, get out the ****ing car" (I am pretty sure when it was first broadcast you hear Stewie say the F words but now or pending on who is controlling the episodes they will either play the "DVD" version or "broadcast" version) but everytime I watched it on BBC 3 they did play it uncensored. If you look at the later seasons/HD episodes as far as I know (well to me nothing has been touched - again correct me) but it just seems odd making unusual edits in the 1st season which is unnecssary - just keep the episodes untouched! (ok bleep if you want but thats it!)
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another clanging bit of over-censorship from Channel 4 in a classic Simpsons last week.

The fantastic original scene is:

Homer: Wait till I tell Marge!
    Nigel: Oh, yes...Bouffant Betty. Well, I would prefer if we kept your marriage a secret. You see, a lot of women are going to want to have sex with you, and, er, we want them to think they can.
    Homer: Well, if I explain it to Marge that way, I'm sure she'll understand.
    [scene change to the Simpson home]
    Marge: [cries loudly]
    Homer: C'mon, honey! It'll only be until we finish our tour of Sweden.

Channel 4 decided the BIB was far too racy for the UK, and in the process pretty much killed the whole joke.
    Forum Member
    I understand what you mean here, but I am pretty sure I have seen on BBC 3 using the two different versions, I can't remember the episode being exact but Brian and Stewie hijack a car (I think story was about Rupert and they had to venture north think it was Alaska) ..... so you see Stewie say to the driver "I said get the **** out the car get out, get out the ****ing car" (I am pretty sure when it was first broadcast you hear Stewie say the F words but now or pending on who is controlling the episodes they will either play the "DVD" version or "broadcast" version) but everytime I watched it on BBC 3 they did play it uncensored. If you look at the later seasons/HD episodes as far as I know (well to me nothing has been touched - again correct me) but it just seems odd making unusual edits in the 1st season which is unnecssary - just keep the episodes untouched! (ok bleep if you want but thats it!)

I think that episode (sounds like Road to the North Pole, but I'm not certain) was a special. And I'm not sure the same rules apply to the specials.

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing one episode cut. It was the one where Brian and Stewie get stuck in a bank vault. It premièred on Fox in a 44 min version, with some songs afterwards, but was cut to 22 mins for international broadcast.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Another clanging bit of over-censorship from Channel 4 in a classic Simpsons last week.

The fantastic original scene is:

Homer: Wait till I tell Marge!
    Nigel: Oh, yes...Bouffant Betty. Well, I would prefer if we kept your marriage a secret. You see, a lot of women are going to want to have sex with you, and, er, we want them to think they can.
    Homer: Well, if I explain it to Marge that way, I'm sure she'll understand.
    [scene change to the Simpson home]
    Marge: [cries loudly]
    Homer: C'mon, honey! It'll only be until we finish our tour of Sweden.

Channel 4 decided the BIB was far too racy for the UK, and in the process pretty much killed the whole joke.

I didn't see that on last week, but I do remember the scene.

Also they cut Willie saying he's reviewed the tractors and they are all shite. And U2 saying *******.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that episode (sounds like Road to the North Pole, but I'm not certain) was a special. And I'm not sure the same rules apply to the specials.

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing one episode cut. It was the one where Brian and Stewie get stuck in a bank vault. It premièred on Fox in a 44 min version, with some songs afterwards, but was cut to 22 mins for international broadcast.

I think it maybe it (I am sure its in between season 7-9 UK dvd - I am not good at the difference of seasons ie what is broadcast and what hasn't lol - I just know later ones are now HD and "widescreen" and hazard a guess thats from 10 onwards) I remember the bank is that the one Stewie tells brian to eat his poo (vault is locked?)
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Another Channel 4 annoying edit of The Simpson. The episode where Homer and Ned become good friends but Homer starts getting annoying really quickly.

Homer: This is Ned Flanders! My friend!
    Lenny: What'd he just say?
    Carl: I dunno, something about being gay.

The bib was cut out and they cut to the ad-break after Lenny's line. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    Another Channel 4 annoying edit of The Simpson. The episode where Homer and Ned become good friends but Homer starts getting annoying really quickly.

Homer: This is Ned Flanders! My friend!
    Lenny: What'd he just say?
    Carl: I dunno, something about being gay.

The bib was cut out and they cut to the ad-break after Lenny's line. :rolleyes:
    I can kind of see why CH4 cut that, sure it's inoffensive. But people have a habbit of flipping out over anything and everything these days, and you'll probably get complaints simply for saying the word "gay"...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching Family Guy on BBC3 and they have edited the episode Peter Griffin Father Husband .... Brother???

I haven't watched I think its Season 1 or 2 in ages (on DVD) but there was a scene "cut" .... it just suddenly went to black briefly and was on its after 11pm and why the edit?? :eek:

Mind you I noticed a couple weeks ago Channel 5 also edited the episode of "Legend" (episode crossover with NCIS:LA)
    the part in this episode was your seeing the person "hanging" from a building as X marks the spot but they make "slow" edits (slow part scene or replace with something else few secs ago) and resumed I am pretty sure there is something Ducky says but is missed out .... I did see this very episode on FX not long ago (not sure if it was on daytime slot or it was the 7-9pm slot but episode was left intact)

so why do networks make "edits" I understand sometimes if its for children (during the daytime) but I don't understand some of these edits

This is why you only watch the DVDs and never the broadcasts.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can kind of see why CH4 cut that, sure it's inoffensive. But people have a habbit of flipping out over anything and everything these days, and you'll probably get complaints simply for saying the word "gay"...

Channel 4 apologised for that cut. The amount of complaints they got for cutting far outweighed any they might have got for leaving it in, if they would have had any at all.

Here's coverage of the story:

http://metro.co.uk/2012/11/08/channel-4-apologises-for-censoring-word-gay-from-simpson-episode-615387/
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Channel 4 apologised for that cut. The amount of complaints they got for cutting far outweighed any they might have got for leaving it in, if they would have had any at all.

Here's coverage of the story:

http://metro.co.uk/2012/11/08/channel-4-apologises-for-censoring-word-gay-from-simpson-episode-615387/

Can we be certain? No. CH4 played it safe, then got criticised for being considerate. It's was a lose-lose for them...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why you only watch the DVDs and never the broadcasts.

Beats the point if your watching them on a particular channel on the off chance (I don't have the latest ones yet on DVD but will soon) :D
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 are the WORST for cutting shows, especially the American sitcoms