Fed up of Adobe and Java constant updates

It seems to happen every few weeks. Why cant they just leave us alone. Its annoying the frequency with which these 2 companies inflict software upgrades on us.

Comments

• DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not remove them and don't install them again?
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't have Java but there will be an option to turn off auto updates. If you do a Google search for your version I'm sure you'll find out how. As regards Adobe Reader again I guess it depends which version you have. I have Reader Version 9.0 and have turned off the updates via Edit/Preferences/Updater/enable 'Do not download or install updates automatically'/OK.

Nearly every software package I have has an option to turn off updates and I've turned them all off.

Your complaint is emotive but unnecessary as the solution is easy.
  • REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have updates automatically and never need to update anything ,that's what i do
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I don't have Java but there will be an option to turn off auto updates. If you do a Google search for your version I'm sure you'll find out how. As regards Adobe Reader again I guess it depends which version you have. I have Reader Version 9.0 and have turned off the updates via Edit/Preferences/Updater/enable 'Do not download or install updates automatically'/OK.

Nearly every software package I have has an option to turn off updates and I've turned them all off.
    This isn't wise since Adobe Reader in particular has a number of vulnerabilities that are regularly picked up on and patched. Version 9 is no longer supported at all.

A better compromise in OPs scenario would be to set to automatically download and install the update. That way it will just get on with it. The alternative if its no longer required would be to uninstall the item altogether.
  • Ulysses777Ulysses777 Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an option to disable auto updating on 32-bit Java (64-bit doesn't auto update). However, it's a little bit more complicated than it should be.

The option is found in the Java Control Panel, which in turn is normally found in the Programs subsection of the Windows Control Panel. However, if you run the Java Control Panel from the Windows Control Panel, it won't save changes to the update settings, as this requires administrator privileges, which can't be invoked from the Windows Control Panel.

So you need to find the folder where 32-bit Java is installed, usually ProgramFiles(x86)\Java\jreX\bin, then find a program called 'javacpl'. Right click on it, and Run as administrator. You can then disable auto update, and it will save the changes.

Edit: this assumes you're running Windows Vista or 7
  • Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    The thing I hate about Java is after you do a manual update, it turns Java updates and Java quick starter back on again, so have to go into the control panel after each update to turn them back off.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    If all you want Adobe for is to read PDFs, use Google Chrome instead, or Okular.
  • The RatThe Rat Posts: 6,048
    Forum Member
    Do not turn off auto-updating for any network facing software. You are dramatically reducing the security of your system by not keeping software up to date.

Your options are:

1. Set-up the update to be fully automatic (this is software specific as to what fully automatic is), thus minimising it mithering you.

2. Let it update with the current prompts and put up with it.

3. Remove said software from your system. You should do this with software you don't need anyway.

4. Install alternatives which may have a reduced update cycle, but remember to let them keep the software up-to-date (see 1 or 2 above).

Dave
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Adobe. They've just suffered from a major hack. 2.9M accounts may have been compromised and even source code lifted. http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2013/10/important-customer-security-announcement.html