Options

How Moffat names his characters…

Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
Forum Member
Clearly, he walks around his local park with notepad in hand, scouting for ideas for character names.

It’s only a matter of time before we meet the new characters: Peter Parkbench, and his girlfriend Belinda Bush.

(I write this with the very greatest of respect to Steven Moffat)

Comments

• Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for younger folks

How about
    Melanie Used-Condom floating in a River Song
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That wasn't very pleasant, Eaglestriker. ;)

What about Jeremy Dogpoo-bin or (judging from my local park) Mrs Smashedvodkabottle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Apparently, Jack Harkness was originally called Jack Flasher, but RTF made him change it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still say there's a water theme abound what with River Song and Amy Pond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    I still say there's a water theme abound what with River Song and Amy Pond.

In that case....W.C Floater?
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What about Jeremy Dogpoo-bin or (judging from my local park) Mrs Smashedvodkabottle?

Jeremy Dogpoo-bin is a real person and is presenting a car show under an assumed last name. :p
  • Options
    Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    GreenMan67 wrote: »
    Apparently, Jack Harkness was originally called Jack Flasher, but RTF made him change it.
    Really? That’s really interesting. I think RTD made a good call, there.
  • Options
    HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And don't forget Mr Rusty Shopping-Trolley :D
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member

Just think if the name hadn't been changed we'd be calling him Flash Jack of Captain Flash. :D
  • Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pawprint wrote: »
    In that case....W.C Floater?

:D Class
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

RTF...?
  • Options
    mandyxxxxmandyxxxx Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Just think if the name hadn't been changed we'd be calling him Flash Jack of Captain Flash. :D

Now that I do like! :D
    Ainley wrote: »
    RTF...?

F is right next to D on the keyboard ;)
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I suppose he could show the inventiveness of RTD couldn't he?

Rose Tyler
    Martha Jones
    Mickey Smith
    Donna Noble

All names he has used in previous shows and two of the most common in Britain.

I like Amy Pond, it has a ring to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Moffat wrote Coupling, he named the lead characters (Steve and Susan) after his wife and himself.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ainley wrote: »
    RTF...?

Looks like Scooby-Doo asking WTF...? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    dapa wrote: »
    When Moffat wrote Coupling, he named the lead characters (Steve and Susan) after his wife and himself.

To be fair, the show was based on parts of their relationship.
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While we're on the subject of names, what's the story behind the recurring Smith and Jones theme? Sarah Jane Smith, John Smith, Mickey Smith, Mister Smith, Martha Jones, Harriet Jones, Ianto Jones...I'm sure this has been explained many times before, but I'm curious to know what the point behind it is!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of names, what's the story behind the recurring Smith and Jones theme? Sarah Jane Smith, John Smith, Mickey Smith, Mister Smith, Martha Jones, Harriet Jones, Ianto Jones...I'm sure this has been explained many times before, but I'm curious to know what the point behind it is!

Smith and Jones are common names ;)

RTD may have overdone it on the Jones' though.

The Doctor started using John Smith as it was so common.

Mr Smith the computer got his name from a phrase SJS' mother used to say to her husband (Mr Smith I need you.)

Williams seems to be the next "big" name in DW with Rory following on from Rhys in Torchwood.
  • Options
    stuartmckstuartmck Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Williams seems to be the next "big" name in DW with Rory following on from Rhys in Torchwood.

That hadn't occurred to me. Wonder if they're related?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never thought of that but the other day coming home from work on the bus , I saw a sign saying John smith's beers , now I am not insituating anyhting but what do ex drs do once they change face hm

No there was before DW , John Smith and after there be John Smith !

But it would have been nice to use Brown or Clarke or Evans as well but I suppose it depends on the writing

Sally Sparrow is an unsual name and Nightingale if you remember "Blink"and the girl who played Sally's mate who got zapped to the old days by the angels is in "Being Human" and dating Geogre Sands (Russell Tovey) who is a werewolf !

small world , but the strangest name in dr Who was Turlough (but he was alien) ax
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Scooby-Doo asking WTF...? :p

:D:D:D:D

Brilliant!
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martha, Jack, Adam and Tyler are names of characters in Image of the Fendahl. I have always assumed that Russell T Davies got his companion-naming inspiration from that golden oldie.
  • Options
    Hells_ChickenHells_Chicken Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    tinny wrote: »
    the girl who played Sally's mate who got zapped to the old days by the angels is in "Being Human" and dating Geogre Sands (Russell Tovey) who is a werewolf !

I thought I recognised her. She was in Cutting It as well, as Ruby.

Queer as Folk and Bob and Rose had Tylers in it. I suppose its easier to write when the name has a personal connection to you.

I still think someone in Dr Who should be called Abi/Abigail.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martha, Jack, Adam and Tyler are names of characters in Image of the Fendahl. I have always assumed that Russell T Davies got his companion-naming inspiration from that golden oldie.

That could be possible....RTD isn't exactly shy from referencing Doctor Who in his past projects, so maybe that is why he likes those names....as he more than often uses them.

As for Moffat, he definitely has chosen interesting names for some of the ladies hasn't he....look forward to hearing other names....
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Sarah Jane and John Smith were nothing to do with RTD - both names date from the classic era. I always assumed Mr Smith was so called both because of Sarah's surname being Smith and the fact the Doctor used that name. As for Mickey, it's just a common surname. Martha's surname was probably so they could use the Smith and Jones pun as the episode title for her debut. The same logic applies to Sally and Kathy in Blink - they both had bird surnames so they could parody Rosemary and Thyme with the "Sparrow and Nightingale? That's so ITV" joke.Why Harriet and Ianto were given the same surname I've no idea.