Options

Andy Coulson - the scandal that won't go away

Silver TractorSilver Tractor Posts: 2,042
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to reports in today's Guardian / Observer there are new disclosures linking Cameron's sidekick with the phone hacking scandal..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/03/phone-hacking-scandal-andy-coulson

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to reports in today's Guardian / Observer there are new disclosures linking Cameron's sidekick with the phone hacking scandal..

Of course there is. It's day one of the Conservative Conference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was only thinking today what had happened to this story

I was going to start a thread asking why our political memories were so short - thanks for proving me wrong :)
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    No matter how unseemly the whole thing is, not matter how much more information gets revealed, Coulson will not go. How long before News Intl does an expose on Channel4 or one of it's bosses? Of course, as ex-editor of a certain paper, maybe Coulson already knows their secrets?
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting article. :)
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newspapers always come up with sensational revelations at just the 'right' moment, as Labour voters are only to aware of ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's time for Mr Coulson to face the music, the Murdoch press need to be put in their place, they seem to think they can do what they like!

They should have to follow the rules just like every citizen has to.
  • Options
    mRebelmRebel Posts: 24,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How things have moved on! Now the press, who've rejected the government regulator and set up their own, have announced who'll be on it. One member is William Newman. Who's he? You may ask. Well, take a look at this,

Newman was the Sun's managing editor at the time editor Kelvin MacKenzie published its infamous account of the disaster, published on the 19 April 1989 under the headline "The Truth".
    The coverage accused quoted unnamed police accusing "some fans" of urinating on the dead, pickpocketing bodies and beating up police officers giving the kiss of life.
    In the wake of widespread criticism Newman sent a letter to families and complainants defending the coverage.
    The letter said that the Sun "cannot possibly apologise for the factsn ... it is the Sun's duty as a newspaper to publish information, however hurtful and unpalatable it may be at the time".
    The Hillsborough Independent Panel said that the letter arrived at homes of the bereaved as funerals were being arranged, and offered "no apology other than a dismissive comment that the presentation of the story could have caused offence".
    Newman went on to become the Sun's complaints ombudsman.

And the papers think Newman is a good choice to regulate them! Even stranger, they think we should believe he's a good choice to make impartial judgements on press behaviour!
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,881
    Forum Member
    When is this trial roughly due to end?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From the article. Worthless then.

Anonymous source tells Channel Four David Cameron's media adviser would ask for recordings to be played for him at News of the World
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Of course there is. It's day one of the Conservative Conference.

Never a better opportunity for it to impact on the rogues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As there is an ongoing trial and the matter is sub judice I believe that forum rules mean that we cannot discuss Coulson.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As there is an ongoing trial and the matter is sub judice I believe that forum rules mean that we cannot discuss Coulson.

Currently at defence closing statements...will be with the jury any day now :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Currently at defence closing statements...will be with the jury any day now :D

Thanks.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If that was aimed at me, I wasn't talking about Coulson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    If that was aimed at me, I wasn't talking about Coulson.

You are very touchy aren't you? It was not aimed. It was an observation and a hint to all and sundry who might have posted something that the mods found objectionable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are very touchy aren't you? It was not aimed. It was an observation and a hint to all and sundry who might have posted something that the mods found objectionable.

I didn't make any assumptions. That's why I said "If", particularly since your post followed mine and you hadn't previously acted as the forum monitor. In case you are in any doubt, I was referring to members of your beloved Conservative Party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    I didn't make any assumptions. That's why I said "If", particularly since your post followed mine and you hadn't previously acted as the forum monitor. In case you are in any doubt, I was referring to members of your beloved Conservative Party.

I wasn't acting as a monitor. That's the job of the mods. And you have let yourself down by making a nasty unwarranted personal remark.