Options

Anti-Romanian propoganda in Britain

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    This.. The Roma are extremely hated, I've seen it first hand in Slovakia. It's saddening how even well educated people can blame all of societies ills on these people who are pretty much on the fringes of society. I've seen them slapped and kicked by ordinary looking people whilst just walking past them. Listening to some Romanian people who were asked in Bucharest if they would want to move to a European country many of them said that they'd choose Spain or Germany although they'd heard that Britain is 'nice'.

It's gross I've seen it too. They have pretty much been forced into that life, not that it excuses criminality, but they are segregated, starting with schools and then they are locked into a cycle of marginalization and poverty.
    I'm biased, obviously. I'm not saying "throw open the doors" but a little bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss. Segregation shouldn't happen in the 21st century and by drawing a line ourselves around Roma we contribute to it.
    France have done it too by the way, banning and segregating because of ethnicity.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain ...with it's economy in shreds ?

Complete nonsense - The UK is far more attractive .In part due to apparent misguided simpletons making it so .

Not nonsense at all. Romanians go there because there are lots of other Romanians there already. There's one other top Euro destination (can't for the life of me remember which) and it's not this one.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like the rhetoric either. It's steadily becoming more and more unpleasant too. Immigrants are talked about like they're vermin (by some) instead of fellow human beings. Makes me uncomfortable and a little sad actually.

Why can't we take people as individuals instead of pre-judging and generalising?
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Not nonsense at all. Romanians go there because there are lots of other Romanians there already.

Right - I see .Thanks for the clarification .Any particular vocation of choice ?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right - I see .Thanks for the clarification .Any particular vocation of choice ?

No idea. All I know is that they head for two Euro countries that aren't this one because of the established Romanian populations already there.

ETA: Italy is the other big Euro destination, and Germany and the US are also popular, if wiki's to be believed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain ...with it's economy in shreds ?

Complete nonsense - The UK is far more attractive .In part due to apparent misguided simpletons making it so .

So people who aren't in fear of a 'Romanian invasion' are misguided simpletons?
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Nothing against them as long as they stay in their own country !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    It's the Roma that are the problem. Not Romanians.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Freeman000 wrote: »
    Is anyone alarmed/annoyed by this?

Whenever I have met a Romanian in Britain, they have always been nothing but extremely polite and pleasant...especially the women. Okay, I haven't met many Romanian blokes, but the women have all been great. The thought of them being made to feel unwelcome or unwanted,or of a lesser class, makes me sick.

The Daily Mail in particular needs to hang its head in shame, with constant articles designed to instil fear among the British public about the impending 'Romanian invasion'.

It's nothing new, of course. This is how the Jews were made to feel for centuries in Britain prior to WW2.

Oh I dunno, a mother who takes her kids out for sympathy when begging and also trains them how to beg doesn't get any stars from me.

Btw this propaganda you talk of is true, they are a menace not just here but across Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Raligt wrote: »
    It's the Roma that are the problem. Not Romanians.

They are still Romanians though.
  • Options
    Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have stopped believing the anti-Muslim crap so they have to find a new target now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Seaborn wrote: »
    Don't forget cancer. They can totally give you cancer, before killing your nation's princess.

ahhh so it was them..... blaming our Prince Phillip n all... blooody cheek
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are still Romanians though.

Most of them are but I understand the Roma are originally gypsies from India who are well spread throughout the world not only Romania, they have been living in Britain since the 17th century, any Roma I have come across would indeed claim to be Romanian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mackara wrote: »
    Most of them are but I understand the Roma are originally gypsies from India who are well spread throughout the world not only Romania, they have been living in Britain since the 17th century, any Roma I have come across would indeed claim to be Romanian.

True but the ones we are talking of are coming here from Romania.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Romanians get the press they deserve IMO.

True.

Also a lot of crime is committed by people from Eastern Europe and Poland already.
  • Options
    jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    The Romanians where i live are nothing but thugs. You ask them to move on politely and they shout and swear at you. How would they like it if they found me smoking and drinking outside their doorstep?

We have them where I live too...they are nothing but a pain n the bum.
  • Options
    jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    True.

Also a lot of crime is committed by people from Eastern Europe and Poland already.

Very true and it will only get much worse when the Romanian gypsies arrive in their droves.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    True.

jaceylacey wrote: »
    Very true and it will only get much worse when the Romanian gypsies arrive in their droves.

...and don't forget about the Bulgarians too.....and the Moldavians will be next. :mad:
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Iphigenia wrote: »
    Thankyou for your sympathy.

The groups in question were personally known to the authorities to whom I reported the incidents.

However, as someone has politely pointed out, Roma is NOT the same as Romanian, so the issue becomes moot - except that, as I hinted in my original post, if people have the 2 confused, then it's no wonder people have negative stereotypes about Romanians.
    That's ok, anytime.
  • Options
    Top Gun 001Top Gun 001 Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Let them all come over I say. You can't get enough.
  • Options
    Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone can judge a whole group of people.

There's a couple of guys in my Uni class though, the others are decent (from what I know) but one sits there slagging England off at any chance he gets which irritates me. He doesn't seem to like English people and apparently we don't dance at parties. LOL. :D I told him he was clearly going to the wrong parties.
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seaborn wrote: »
    Go ahead. I live in the South side of Glasgow, which has a high number of ethnic minorities. Lots of interesting shops and local businesses, and I've never had an ounce of bother.

Pity Kriss Donald isn't alive to give his point of view.

The south side of Glasgow is a dump. Where are these interesting shops and businesses you speak of?

It isn't a great mix of ethnic minorities either. Pakistani Muslims dominate, hence the shabby, litter-strewn and downmarket feel of an area that was once wealthy and vibrant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaceylacey wrote: »

Exactly! And there are more on their way than actually live in Romania! Shocking! :eek::rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What have the Romanians ever done for us?
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Madonna38 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone can judge a whole group of people.

There's a couple of guys in my Uni class though, the others are decent (from what I know) but one sits there slagging England off at any chance he gets which irritates me. He doesn't seem to like English people and apparently we don't dance at parties. LOL. :D I told him he was clearly going to the wrong parties.
    I knew a German like that, only he couldn't dance anyway, but he used to tell me how great Germany and the German's were, and how crap us Brits were.I was definitely better at dancing than him.