Options

The Jonathan Creek Thread!

Comments

• Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Just looking back at him in Jack in the Box and thinking how cute he looks.
    He must have been 30 when he filmed that, but looks very youthful.

I was 16 at the time and fancied him a little bit :blush:

He's not conventionally handsome, but there's something about him?

I know exactly what you mean. :D
  • Options
    FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Was the guy who picked up the lottery ticket Piers from the New Statesman?

But also was he using prostitutes before the win then? I thought when we saw that scene of him in bed, that it would be after the win.

The lottery winner was already a knight of the realm. The lottery cheque had the Sir in front of his name, John Bird's character said he was a local businessman and the chairman of the Rotary Club. That's another thing that annoys me about new Creeks, reusing actors that have already been in it once as new characters.

I thought the episode was dreadful again. Incredibly disappointed. :(
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    The mystery and solution in the second episode were OK, but in a classic episode of Jonathan Creek they would have been one element of the mystery rather than the whole thing (the "monster" and "The Sandman" were pointless B stories that didn't add anything to the episode).

I've just watched The Savant's Thumb (I obviously missed it when it came out) and I thought it was a pretty respectable Jonathan Creek mystery - not a classic, but not a complete let down either.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe in this third episode they can kill off Polly and have that be the mystery and introduce a new companion. I think Sheridan and Sarah have seemed too young to be his companions. I'm trying to think of an actress who is a 'name' of a certain age who would be a better match. All I can think of at the moment is Alex Kingston but that would be too much like Doctor Who. Someone like Tamsin Greig maybe. Of course we don't know what the chemistry would be like but I can't imagine it being much worse. Liza Tarbuck maybe but maybe they'd be accused of trying to be too much like Caroline.
  • Options
    DeepBlueTwoDeepBlueTwo Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Maybe in this third episode they can kill off Polly and have that be the mystery and introduce a new companion. I think Sheridan and Sarah have seemed too young to be his companions. I'm trying to think of an actress who is a 'name' of a certain age who would be a better match. All I can think of at the moment is Alex Kingston but that would be too much like Doctor Who. Someone like Tamsin Greig maybe. Of course we don't know what the chemistry would be like but I can't imagine it being much worse. Liza Tarbuck maybe but maybe they'd be accused of trying to be too much like Caroline.

Wasn't Tamsin G in an early episode of JC? The one where her dog had died?

But then, wasn't John Bird also in an early ep of JC as an inspector too?
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the scream masks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read the 'Rivers of London' books? In one of them something like this happens except that the man dies in a car crash and not from a stabbing. Turns out that someone did magic on him to make him kill a stranger and put him in a boot. Then they spend the rest of the book trying to work out who put the magic spell on him.

Love these books, and they are being turned into a TV series.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Sheridan and Sarah have seemed too young to be his companions.
    AD was born in 1966,
    SA was born in 1971
    There's only 5 years difference, which I doubt that anyone would think is "too young"
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    AD was born in 1966,
    SA was born in 1971
    There's only 5 years difference, which I doubt that anyone would think is "too young"

I specifically worded that post to say she 'seemed' too young. I never said she was too young! She's aged well, he hasn't, never mind the spectacular lack of chemistry between the two.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I specifically worded that post to say she 'seemed' too young. I never said she was too young! She's aged well, he hasn't, never mind the spectacular lack of chemistry between the two.

Alan Davies was someone who I always felt looked babyfaced and looked younger than his years. But very recently he does some to have suddenly aged.
    He seems to be carrying a lot of weight on his face and in some scenes the skin on his face looks really baggy.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Creek seems to be wearing smarter clothes, it seems wrong for the character.
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So.. Tonight's going to be a classic, right? Up there with Black Canary, right? :D
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be more like 'One foot up the creek', the writer clearly had some plots left for victor meldrew that he has recycled.

Untying the robbers is classic meldrew farce.

I would not be surprised if creek started saying ' I don't believe it'
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobInnes wrote: »
    So.. Tonight's going to be a classic, right? Up there with Black Canary, right? :D

I think our expectations are low. So if it does turn out to be good then it will be a pleasant surprise.
  • Options
    miaowmiaow Posts: 8,495
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    He's not conventionally handsome, but there's something about him?

Yes there is :D
    Maybe in this third episode they can kill off Polly and have that be the mystery and introduce a new companion.

I really hope they get rid of Polly!!!!
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to tonights and hoping they've saved the best for last.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,037
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    It will be more like 'One foot up the creek', the writer clearly had some plots left for victor meldrew that he has recycled.

Untying the robbers is classic meldrew farce.

I would not be surprised if creek started saying ' I don't believe it'

:D:D:D
    He'll probably call his wife Margaret
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Tamsin G in an early episode of JC? The one where her dog had died?

It's actually a later one with Carla. If I recall correctly it's the one with Jack Dee in it and no-no-no-no-no-no-no-yes Jim from Vicar of Dibley, with the massive mannequin doll perched on the sails of the windmill. The one where the video arrives in the post of Jack Dee's mistress having her hair cut despite it being intact minutes earlier.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan seems to be in need of some inspiration, otherwise he will become bored and that makes a bad detective. Hoping he gets inspiration tonight. His little eyes lit up when he saw Astrodamus's poster.:D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see June Whitfield is channeling Mrs. Cropley from The Vicar of Dibley.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi jonathan i remember when you were awesome....
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Josie Lawrence, blimey haven't seen her in something since Eastenders.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polly's just a nag.... Why is she even with Jonathan? There's no affection, what's so ever....
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Josie Lawrence is saving this show for me.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Polly's just a nag.... Why is she even with Jonathan? There's no affection, what's so ever....

Yes totally agree, her character is what is making this show so bad. Definitely a marriage of convenience at best.