Confessions - Sorry
    Hard Candy - 4 Minutes
    MDNA - Love Spent
    Rebel Heart - Ghosttown
  • Scotty2012Scotty2012 Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Watching the Confessions tour for the hundredth time and aaah such a great show, Like a Virgin such a highlight especially.

I love that show! The intro is magic.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a number of factors involved in why Rebel Heart is 15k lower in sales than where it should be. The standard only being stocked by the supermarkets is a huge error, its the deluxe cover that has been used to promote the album so people will be looking for that, when they see a different cover they will realise its a different album they wanted and may have been put off buying it.

The 9 songs already out, this is perhaps the biggest problem. The bulk of the album was available to download already. It was always a risk releasing this way and it has backfired as the sales of these songs don't count towards the album sales. Hold Tight must have sold over 1k off its own back to top iTunes like it did that day.

But as world wide sales are down I think it has to be accepted the leak really did harm this entire era in a huge way. I hope the guy who leaked the stuff has a decent lawyer as Madonna could sue him for millions now in lost earnings! I'd say she has a strong case.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. A review. Gosh, where to start.

Firstly, I don't get the comments about how weak MDNA was. Sure, there were a couple of shitty tracks on it (Give Me All Your Loving and possibly Some Girls), but take those tracks out and add in Beautiful Killer and I ****ed Up and you have a pretty consistent run of strong tracks. I'm a Sinner in particular would sit nicely after Devil Pray on Rebel Heart, but I digress. Now to focus on Rebel Heart the album. It is disappointing to learn that sales for this album are slow and not particularly setting the world alight. It deserves number 1 in each country simply because, you sense that Madonna is really enjoying herself. Whilst Living for Love is an OK song and arguably a poor choice for lead single (could we be seeing different levels of album sales at this stage had it been Ghosttown?), it is a perfectly adequate album opener because it gets rid of the fluff from the start. Devil Pray is a peculiarly addictive track. It works because it really shouldn't do. It is quite spooky and has such a familiar tune (House of the Rising Sun) that instantly you believe it to be a Madonna classic. This leads nicely into Ghosttown. I can't stop hearing the track. It is superb. Her vocals are pitch perfect, crystal clear and i agree with those who say it has an air of Karen Carpenter about it.

I really enjoy Unapologetic Bitch because it is unashemedly unapologetic (pardon the pun!). This is one track that I sensed that Madonna really wanted to be making music again. She is being angry but at the same time she is having terrific fun. I am undecided on Illuminati. It's not a bad song that's for sure, but it is a little pretentious. As is Bitch, I'm Madonna. I hated that track when Madonna released it at Christmas. But, I don't hate it anymore. It is more a case of tolerance (and acceptance that it exists) that has allowed me to overcome my hatred. It's in the category of "it'll do, but must try harder". Thankfully, once the fifth and sixth tracks are done, the album wakes up again. A brilliantly strong run of tracks begins with Hold Tight and ends with Wash All Over Me. I don't feel the need to review these songs individually because we've all heard them now. But since Madonna has revealed Holy Water will be on the tour, it is satisfying to believe it gives another reason to perform Vogue too! I like the way she is sampling her own stuff as it is like her saying that if she is going to get accused of plagiarising anyone, it might as well be herself. But it also explains the lack of credits. She would need to credit Shep Pettibone and Curtis Hudson/Lisa Stevens for the use of the Vogue and Holiday samples - she don't like paying the same people twice! The last five songs of the album definetely belong there. it is hard to assume that they are just extra deluxe tracks. I sense the standard version was an afterthought because I have both the standard and deluxe and the flow of the deluxe is much better. Messiah is simply beautiful. Rebel Heart is a nice album closer, but a little short. If I had any complaint about this album, many songs are just too short. HeartBreakCity would certainly benefit from another burst of the chorus rather than just ending it quite suddenly after 3'33. That small little criticism asides. the album is absolutely stunning. A pick and mix of your favourite music styles but still 100% Madonna. It is better than Hard Candy, which I sensed was just Madonna desperately trying to escape her warner contract - album delivered, job done - sense of contribution. It is a respectful follow on to MDNA which was unfairly criticised. I hope Rebel Heart is more of a stayer than MDNA and even though it looks unlikely it will be a Confessions style smash, it deserves to be lauded as one of Madonna's best albums. 5/5
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to feel pretty gutted that I paid £100 a piece for tickets in block 409 of the o2. :( However, at least I get to go; lots of people aren't as lucky as I am so I am still grateful for the opportunity. I also keep forgetting that Murrayfield is larger than the o2 and so my seat, although to me seems further away, probably isn't much further than when I went there. Plus the sound will be a lot better considering this is in an arena as opposed to a stadium.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel pretty gutted that I paid £100 a piece for tickets in block 409 of the o2. :( However, at least I get to go; lots of people aren't as lucky as I am so I am still grateful for the opportunity. I also keep forgetting that Murrayfield is larger than the o2 and so my seat, although to me seems further away, probably isn't much further than when I went there. Plus the sound will be a lot better considering this is in an arena as opposed to a stadium.

Just double check what time tube trains run until because she famously likes to come on stage at around 11.30pm. That's why she likes arenas because she isn't restricted with sound level constraints and timing issues. They will likely keep The Jubilee line open but when I saw her in Hyde Park they closed off all tube stations in the area except one and it was a half mile walk! A bit hectic when 50,000 people are heading in the same direction at the same time!
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Just double check what time tube trains run until because she famously likes to come on stage at around 11.30pm. That's why she likes arenas because she isn't restricted with sound level constraints and timing issues. They will likely keep The Jubilee line open but when I saw her in Hyde Park they closed off all tube stations in the area except one and it was a half mile walk! A bit hectic when 50,000 people are heading in the same direction at the same time!

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. The hotel I booked is across the river from the o2, fifteen minutes via walking/train/tube. I'm really hopeful they keep the tube under the river open because otherwise it's an hour and a half trip (in a car) to get to the hotel! I'm sure they will for anyone like myself but there is a possibility they won't. I remember with Edinburgh they herded everyone like cattle along one road when we were left; there were fences blocking off pretty much every street bar one. Then we had to split; those who were going to the train station and those who were going via a different route. Luckily our hotel was along the different route so we got in quite early.

I really am kicking myself about paying so much for a seat so far back. :l There was just nothing on level one when I bought my tickets (but I didn't check the £46 seats and so there may have been at the lower price!).

EDIT: This is the view from block 408 on the back row; it's better than my view at Murrayfield! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuZ7OXdvgzw *Calms down a bit*
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How awful to think that she might miss the no. 1 spot for Sam Smith in the UK and to Empire in the US. This era is jinxed sales wise :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How awful to think that she might miss the no. 1 spot for Sam Smith in the UK and to Empire in the US. This era is jinxed sales wise :-(

I think the leak caused it.

Perhaps she should have released the album as a download when it was ready in January, the time of the second and final leak, and just held off on the physical release until now. An awful lot of sales have been lost because of that hacker.

I hope she sues the ****er for millions. Should send a firm warning to anyone who tries that shit again.

Ever since she left Warner she has suffered bad luck. I think Guy's greed has really led her down the wrong career path. She needs a different manager. It can't be coincidence that since he took over her full management in 2008 its all gone a bit pete tong for her on the music front. Warner knew what was right for Madonna, they guided her entire career. Its a shame their relationship broke down but again I blame Guy for that. All he seems to see is money.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's Guy's fault. It's just a normal process of getting older and being around longer, the sales go down. It happens for every artist.

I don't see why it's so essential to be #1. Who cares if you love the album! Plus in the second week the album package with the ticket sales kicks in in the US so they shouldn't be a big decline with MDNA.
    I think Guy does a great job. They have a great relationship. No reason to change. Lots of artist change managers frequently. It rarely makes a difference
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »

Best interview ever!! She comes off as quite a humble respectful person despite her diva image. I adore her. And Howard despite his shock jock image is a fantastic interviewer.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved that interview, I find her early life fascinating.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic interview with Howard Stern! The funniest and wittiest I have heard her be for ages (although she did seem to be sighing quite a bit!). A really thought provoking, deep interview. I'm surprised she answered a lot of the questions he asked.

I've indulged myself in Madonna tonight, listened to all of Rebel Heart again and then that hour and a half interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Todays the day!! JR tonight! :D
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    my fave songs and 2nd fave songs from album eras:
    madonna - borderline - burning up
    like a virgin - dress you up - material girl
    true blue - open your heart - live to tell
    like a prayer - like a prayer - promise to try
    i'm breathless - vogue - back in business
    erotica - rain - words
    bedtime stories - sanctuary - bedtime story
    ray of light - frozen - skin
    music - paradise (not for me) - impressive instant
    american life - easy ride - nothing fails
    confessions - future lovers - let it will be
    hard candy - beat goes on - devil wouldn't recognise you
    mdna - some girls - beautiful killer
    rebel heart - messiah - ghosttown
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    my fave albums:

1. Like a prayer
    2. Ray of Light
    3. Erotica
    4. Confessions on the dance floor
    5. True Blue
    6. Music
    7. Like a virgin
    8. American Life
    9. Rebel Heart
    10. Bedtime Stories
    11. Madonna
    12. MDNA
    13. Hard Candy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my fave albums:

1. Like a prayer
    2. Ray of Light
    3. Erotica
    4. Confessions on the dance floor
    5. True Blue
    6. Music
    7. Like a virgin
    8. American Life
    9. Rebel Heart
    10. Bedtime Stories
    11. Madonna
    12. MDNA
    13. Hard Candy

OK, I'll play! ;-)

1. Erotica
    2. Confessions on a Dance Floor
    3. Like a Prayer
    4. Music
    5. Ray of Light
    6. MDNA
    7. Rebel Heart
    8. American Life
    9. True Blue
    10. Hard Candy
    11. Madonna
    12. Bedtime Stories
    13. Like a Virgin (Loathe this album - never, ever play it!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I write poetry and song lyrics, and ten years ago, when Hung Up came out, I wrote the following poem. It has been published so is copyrighted, but I wanted to share it with you:

A DATE WITH MADGE

I'm like a virgin in the way I act,
    I dance to Vogue and that's a fact!
    Madonna, yes I'm crazy for you,
    I sing way too loud to your hit True Blue.
    But there's something special in the air,
    Each time I listen to Like a Prayer.
    I'll dress you up with an energetic display,
    And watch while everybody walks away!

Music makes me joyfully dance,
    While I hum away to One More Chance.
    A material girl she say's she's not,
    But she's very rich so has she forgot?
    But who's that girl, people constantly ask
    In fish net stockings and saucy basque?
    I'd like to meet her, and I will you'll see.
    I'll ask her to take care of me.

I'll find myself with her, on a holiday.
    I'd listen to all that she had to say.
    My lucky star, that's what she'd be.
    I'd be waiting for her to rescue me
    From my drowned world that is constantly bland.
    We'd run off together hand in hand.
    Like a ray of light, she'd bring me such joy,
    Her the bad girl, me the good boy!

I'll fall deeper and deeper under her spell.
    I only hope I'll live to tell
    That I get a fever each time that she's here.
    I'll be burning up when she comes near!
    My date with Madge will be full of devotion
    Laughing loudly, causing a commotion.
    It would be heaven, so much fun
    Committing human nature....one on one!

All the adventures we'd endeavour to take,
    Don't tell me I'm making a big mistake,
    For I will be frozen in a moment of awe
    I will worship this woman like never before!
    But I will soon learn the power of goodbye
    When like falling rain my dreams will die.
    For I got into the groove and danced all the night
    Our little secret, our moment of flight.

Illusions will shatter in a moment of glory,
    When I realise my date was a bedtime story.
    My room will be empty, Madge won't be there
    I'll cherish the moment she pretended to care!
    I'll remember the passion, the excitement, the danger.
    Although she's Madonna, she's my beautiful stranger.
    And while it is clear my date is not true,
    I just want to say that I'm hung up on you!

(c) 2005. From the book "The Optimistic Goldfish" by Steve Wickens.

Little game, how many Madonna songs feature in that poem? The word "heaven" is not referring to a Madonna song because the poem was written in 2005 and Heaven is an unofficial unreleased Madonna song written in 2014.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizzy that poem is lovely, I counted around 34/35?

As for how I would rank M's albums, it's funny I just made this ranking a few days ago:

1. Confessions
    2. Ray of Light
    3. True Blue
    4. Bedtime Stories
    5. Rebel Heart
    6. Like a Prayer
    7. MDNA
    8. Hard Candy
    9. Like a Virgin
    10. American Life
    11. Madonna
    12. Erotica
    13. Music
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have another game, your similar to one a few pages back but a bit more advanced.
    Your favourite single AND album track off each album.

Madonna - Burning Up and Physical Attraction
    Like a Virgin - Material Girl and Over and Over
    True Blue - Open Your Heart and Where's the Party
    Like a Prayer - Express Yourself and Til Death Do Us Part
    Erotica - Erotica and Thief of Hearts
    Bedtime Stories - Secret and Survival
    Ray of Light - Ray of Light and Swim
    Music - American Pie and Impressive Instant
    American Life - Die Another Day and Love Profusion
    Confessions - Hung Up and Future Lover
    Hard Candy - Give it 2 Me and Beat Goes On
    MDNA - Girl Gone Wild and I'm a Sinner
    Rebel Heart - So far Living For Love and Hold Tight I think
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I write poetry and song lyrics, and ten years ago, when Hung Up came out, I wrote the following poem. It has been published so is copyrighted, but I wanted to share it with you:

A DATE WITH MADGE

I'm like a virgin in the way I act,
    I dance to Vogue and that's a fact!
    Madonna, yes I'm crazy for you,
    I sing way too loud to your hit True Blue.
    But there's something special in the air,
    Each time I listen to Like a Prayer.
    I'll dress you up with an energetic display,
    And watch while everybody walks away!

Music makes me joyfully dance,
    While I hum away to One More Chance.
    A material girl she say's she's not,
    But she's very rich so has she forgot?
    But who's that girl, people constantly ask
    In fish net stockings and saucy basque?
    I'd like to meet her, and I will you'll see.
    I'll ask her to take care of me.

I'll find myself with her, on a holiday.
    I'd listen to all that she had to say.
    My lucky star, that's what she'd be.
    I'd be waiting for her to rescue me
    From my drowned world that is constantly bland.
    We'd run off together hand in hand.
    Like a ray of light, she'd bring me such joy,
    Her the bad girl, me the good boy!

I'll fall deeper and deeper under her spell.
    I only hope I'll live to tell
    That I get a fever each time that she's here.
    I'll be burning up when she comes near!
    My date with Madge will be full of devotion
    Laughing loudly, causing a commotion.
    It would be heaven, so much fun
    Committing human nature....one on one!

All the adventures we'd endeavour to take,
    Don't tell me I'm making a big mistake,
    For I will be frozen in a moment of awe
    I will worship this woman like never before!
    But I will soon learn the power of goodbye
    When like falling rain my dreams will die.
    For I got into the groove and danced all the night
    Our little secret, our moment of flight.

Illusions will shatter in a moment of glory,
    When I realise my date was a bedtime story.
    My room will be empty, Madge won't be there
    I'll cherish the moment she pretended to care!
    I'll remember the passion, the excitement, the danger.
    Although she's Madonna, she's my beautiful stranger.
    And while it is clear my date is not true,
    I just want to say that I'm hung up on you!

(c) 2005. From the book "The Optimistic Goldfish" by Steve Wickens.

Little game, how many Madonna songs feature in that poem? The word "heaven" is not referring to a Madonna song because the poem was written in 2005 and Heaven is an unofficial unreleased Madonna song written in 2014.

Have you sent this to Madonna via social media? If not, I think you should. She will adore it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotty2012 wrote: »
    Have you sent this to Madonna via social media? If not, I think you should. She will adore it.

How would I do it? I'm not overly familiar with social media, and how would I know it was her that actually received it?
  • jammygirljammygirl Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    How would I do it? I'm not overly familiar with social media, and how would I know it was her that actually received it?

The only social media site Madonna uses is instagram, so you're best bet would be open an account and then post a picture of the poem and then tag Madonna in the picture so she might see it. You should definitely try... the poem's so good :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammygirl wrote: »
    The only social media site Madonna uses is instagram, so you're best bet would be open an account and then post a picture of the poem and then tag Madonna in the picture so she might see it. You should definitely try... the poem's so good :)

Thanks for the compliment. I'm a bit wary about social media, the prospect of using it makes me uncomfortable. Opening the account is one thing (don't you need a smartphone - would a Windows Phone work?), but "tagging" is another. How would I know it was a genuine "tag" and it was really Madonna?