Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I "hate" her. I don't like to use that word much. I do strongly dislike her a great deal but I don't love the fact that I feel that way about someone. I can't understand how professional trolls have become a thing. It bewilders me that this is an actual career move people can make now. I'd rather they all just go away, but while they're here it's interesting to try and suss them out psychologically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    If I thought Liz was actually in need of real medical help then I wouldn't be on here taking the micky. Apart from getting depressed at times which happens to most of us and some anxiety - but sadly not enough to stop her saying hateful things about her nearest and dearest, I don't believe there's any kind of diminished responsibility stuff going on.

Always she comes across with a stubborn determination that she doesn't wish to grow up, to be at all responsible for what she writes and a sense of outstanding arrogance. I don't see that she cares about her readers, but what is very apparent are her narcissistic tendencies.

She LOVES LOVES LOVES to roll around in self pity and seems to get a real kick out of winding people up. I don't know much about her animals not surviving, but as to the dogs it seems she can't be bothered to invest her time in training them. I think we are all reading the words of England's oldest teenage brat. But. hey, what do I know?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I don't hate her. I despise her. My loathing stems from a number of issues...

a) She used to be able to write. She could be quite engaging and a perfectly agreeable read. Nothing exactly Pulitzer Prize but not embarassing. Nowadays there are no redeeming features in her output. They've taken her off fashion, thank God (she never had the faintest idea!) but her 'features' are re-typed from the dictaphone and provide no insight or hints of anything other than a two-dimensional essay one might expect from a GCSE student of reasonable ability. The Diary has become a parody of what it once was (so many years ago) and seems to trade off fictional texts/conversations, exploiting family members/employees or deriding neighbours/staff/servants.

b) She has become lazy. There is no effort to engage any more. She has become used to the lifestyle and now has an overwhelming sense of entitlement. In an attempt to appear 'relevant' she will shoe-horn in a sentence from the week's news. If she can't think of anything to write, she will write about a column she wrote before.

c) She believes she is ill-used by the broader media as she isn't on the telly every five minutes... and yet cannot see that an hard-of-hearing pensioner with borrowed teeth, a wonky face and appalling diction is as about as welcome as a re-run of It's a Knockout.

d) She has surrounded herself with a tiny coterie of 'friends' who are very keen not to kill the Golden Goose (Isobel [who gets a number of fashion puffs a year], Nic the Flower Fairy, Dawn the groupie and SUE NEEDLEMAN who only exists as a full name) who are either directly dependent or use her as the source of endless dinner party anecdotes. As a consequence, there are no limiting influences, no critical voice, no second pair of ears before she hits 'send'.

e) She has started lying. In the olden days, her USP was 'searing honesty'. Nowadays, she writes her version of the truth or what she thinks should be the truth. Week after week her pants are increasingly on fire... sometimes hilariously obviously and sometimes because she can't remeber what she wrote a week or a month before. Not good enough and proof that her pieces are only scanned before publication.

f) She thinks she is brighter than her audience. Oh dearie me.

It was mentioned a few posts ago that we are are somehow fuelling the fire by criticising her. This is quite funny but not for the obvious reason: there are, here, maybe a dozen people who regularly post about Jonesey out of 445,000 registered users. This is the measure of her 'success'... that so few of us can be arsed to have a go at her. Is there a 'fan' thread? No. Even the FB group of 'supportes' withered on the vine.

On the whole, her career is fuelled by indifference. We care enough to criticise, but what of other people? They don't give a monkey's either way. And they're probably right.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate her. I despise her. My loathing stems from a number of issues...

a) She used to be able to write. She could be quite engaging and a perfectly agreeable read. Nothing exactly Pulitzer Prize but not embarassing. Nowadays there are no redeeming features in her output. They've taken her off fashion, thank God (she never had the faintest idea!) but her 'features' are re-typed from the dictaphone and provide no insight or hints of anything other than a two-dimensional essay one might expect from a GCSE student of reasonable ability. The Diary has become a parody of what it once was (so many years ago) and seems to trade off fictional texts/conversations, exploiting family members/employees or deriding neighbours/staff/servants.

b) She has become lazy. There is no effort to engage any more. She has become used to the lifestyle and now has an overwhelming sense of entitlement. In an attempt to appear 'relevant' she will shoe-horn in a sentence from the week's news. If she can't think of anything to write, she will write about a column she wrote before.

c) She believes she is ill-used by the broader media as she isn't on the telly every five minutes... and yet cannot see that an hard-of-hearing pensioner with borrowed teeth, a wonky face and appalling diction is as about as welcome as a re-run of It's a Knockout.

d) She has surrounded herself with a tiny coterie of 'friends' who are very keen not to kill the Golden Goose (Isobel [who gets a number of fashion puffs a year], Nic the Flower Fairy, Dawn the groupie and SUE NEEDLEMAN who only exists as a full name) who are either directly dependent or use her as the source of endless dinner party anecdotes. As a consequence, there are no limiting influences, no critical voice, no second pair of ears before she hits 'send'.

e) She has started lying. In the olden days, her USP was 'searing honesty'. Nowadays, she writes her version of the truth or what she thinks should be the truth. Week after week her pants are increasingly on fire... sometimes hilariously obviously and sometimes because she can't remeber what she wrote a week or a month before. Not good enough and proof that her pieces are only scanned before publication.

f) She thinks she is brighter than her audience. Oh dearie me.

It was mentioned a few posts ago that we are are somehow fuelling the fire by criticising her. This is quite funny but not for the obvious reason: there are, here, maybe a dozen people who regularly post about Jonesey out of 445,000 registered users. This is the measure of her 'success'... that so few of us can be arsed to have a go at her. Is there a 'fan' thread? No. Even the FB group of 'supportes' withered on the vine.

On the whole, her career is fuelled by indifference. We care enough to criticise, but what of other people? They don't give a monkey's either way. And they're probably right.

Yes, I'm one of those who doesn't give a 'Monkeys' she doesn't give me sleepless nights, as a matter of fact, I worry about the people, who worry about her so much.
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Yes, I'm one of those who doesn't give a 'Monkeys' she doesn't give me sleepless nights, as a matter of fact, I worry about the people, who worry about her so much.

Thank you. I love that idea, our very own therapy group. Exciting stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worry about the people, who worry about her so much.

She's paid stupid amounts of money to write a load of lies. I quite like that people are able to prove she's full of rubbish and thus has no credibility, so that when she upsets the people she bullies they can hopefully feel a little better.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    She's paid stupid amounts of money to write a load of lies. I quite like that people are able to prove she's full of rubbish and thus has no credibility, so that when she upsets the people she bullies they can hopefully feel a little better.

She does write a lot of nonsense, I just take it all with a pinch of salt. I don't dislike her, just wish she could find some happiness and contentment in her life, hopefully she will before it's too late but I don't hold out too much hope, too set in her ways.

I don't begrudge her making a load of money, she needs it with all those animals she cares for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She does write a lot of nonsense, I just take it all with a pinch of salt. I don't dislike her, just wish she could find some happiness and contentment in her life, hopefully she will before it's too late but I don't hold out too much hope, too set in her ways.

I don't begrudge her making a load of money, she needs it with all those animals she cares for.

Trouble is it's more than nonsense. She causes actual pain to people including her own family then acts like she's the victim.

As for the animals, isn't it believed that she is not that good at looking after them? Based on what I've read here, anyway.
    Forum Member
    Sweetums wrote: »

That's a really good point of view Sweets.
    Forum Member
    There are a few more things that get to me about her.
    The constant whining, the why me. FFS, there's not one iota of grace or gratitude there. Some folk have terrible lives but you don't Liz.
    The Diary entry that sent me OTT and on to DS was quite recent when her employee Nic was apparently chastising the boyfriend for poor Liz having to drive 100s of miles because his place wasn't up to poor Liz's standards so she'd rather drive back up North and back again and it was ALL HIS FAULT. It sounded like Liz made the whole thing up to me... It's so embarrassingly icky. There's no shame there at all. Frankly she needs shaming.
    Also, she tries to plant nasty little seeds, ooh, you are not good enough u less you're XYZ, ooh, women don't wear that cos it shows their belly fat, ooh, all women are obsessed with their eyebrows/feet/backsides/blah de blah it goes on and on. She's like one of those nasty male clothes designers who want women to resemble little boys. SO WRONG.
  • Suky MSuky M Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Mail Online censured over Liz Jones article:

Press watchdog Ipso has upheld a complaint about a column by Liz Jones posted on Mail Online – but rejected criticism of the same article when it was published in the Mail on Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/04/mail-online-censured-liz-jones-article-print-version-cleared

The lame excuses from the Daily Hate:D:D:D:D
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting the "Sorry, we can't find the page you are looking for.." message when I click on the link on the MailOnline link to this week's Dreary. Does anyone have the same? :confused:
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Yes, me.

Googling the diary brings up a link to an old one that takes me to a sidebar link to last week's but it says it's unavailable. On the DM site, searching for the diary brings up nothing and searching on Liz Jones just brings up a farticle.

A very boring farticle saying the same as every other bloody farticle she has ever written, rehashing the grinding poverty of her childhood and ignores the fact that not owning a car during her childhood was pretty standard for most families of her generation and nothing to do with being so poor you lived in a cardboard box.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine says "Sorry, the page you are looking for is such irredeemable, poorly written shite that we're doing you a favour by not letting you see it. Thank us later." :D

Ah... if only...
  • Suky MSuky M Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Mine says "Sorry, the page you are looking for is such irredeemable, poorly written shite that we're doing you a favour by not letting you see it. Thank us later." :D

Ah... if only...

Just propelled my hot choc across the room.:D:D:D........so funny, thanks for the laugh:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I saw it on an Irish site yesterday. Believe me when I tell you nothing happens. Again. Just a repeat of the last two weeks: she slags him off and wonders why he won't do her bidding.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the "Sorry, we can't find the page you are looking for.." message when I click on the link on the MailOnline link to this week's Dreary. Does anyone have the same? :confused:

Me too. I don't know whether to be happy or sad.:):cry:confused:
    If I miss a week I might be able to kick the habit(but do I really want to?)😱
  • Suzy_CatSuzy_Cat Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of Dreary is really curious. If she'd written anything legally problematic enough to be taken down (ie for instance if someone had threatened to sue and they had a really, really good case) the whole thing would be gone, front page and all. But it's not. I doubt even the Mail has the resources to create intrigue and drama over a piece of tired clickbait by taking it down for a bit to make readers think it's oooh so juicy or something. So I suspect it's just a mistake that nobody's bothered to rectify yet.

It would be much more exciting if the Baker had snapped or something.

So, how many weeks is she dragging out one argument do you think? She could write a post-mortem on no more than three texts at a time. She could even make one column entirely about one text message. It could go on for months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALso, it's amazing how many near-identical columns come up if you google Liz Jones and Argument.
    Forum Member
    Can't get today's diary on line either but do have the magazine here.

Potted version of today's effort revolves around her on plane to New York and arguing by text with the baker about his untidiness, how she's forced to drive a zillion miles because of his junkyard garden. He tries to say it's over as he's had enough, then surprise, surprise at the very end he's crawling on the belly to have her back.
    Big yawn as usual.
    The only bit we might not have heard before is him calling her side kick Dawn a hippopotamus - sorry, hypocrite, for once telling Liz not to visit as her own home was too messy.

Her other piece in main paper is designed to upset stay at home mothers, as usual using a little nugget from this weeks news to have a go at women who dare to breed.... sure you can guess.

Something I forgot to mention from diary is this:
    "He has just dared to dump me........"

Oooh, how very dare he :D
  • Jennifer_Jones2Jennifer_Jones2 Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone - at last I have enought sight back to post without more errors than letters I type! (macular disease and cataracts)

I read her offering in the local newsagents and it's more full of rubbish than the fields of Ambridge at present. I just wish I thought the long suffering baker would dump her, but he won't, I am sure, because she must be paying him for his part in this epic. Can't think of any other reason why he would let himself look an idiot every week!

If she does get the heave-ho (from David and the Mail) can you lot continue this column, please? It's the best thing around at present!
    Forum Member
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    The lack of Dreary is really curious. If she'd written anything legally problematic enough to be taken down (ie for instance if someone had threatened to sue and they had a really, really good case) the whole thing would be gone, front page and all. But it's not. I doubt even the Mail has the resources to create intrigue and drama over a piece of tired clickbait by taking it down for a bit to make readers think it's oooh so juicy or something. So I suspect it's just a mistake that nobody's bothered to rectify yet.

It would be much more exciting if the Baker had snapped or something.

So, how many weeks is she dragging out one argument do you think? She could write a post-mortem on no more than three texts at a time. She could even make one column entirely about one text message. It could go on for months.

It already feels like years.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, at least it wasn't just me, so that's ok - not that I was desperate to read it, you understand, more curiosity of whether something had happened to make it be pulled...

Oh, ok, I admit it, I was looking foward to reading it for a laugh after getting up at 4.30 this morning to watch the Australian Grand Prix! :p (It's a test for us F1 enthusiasts, Australia, sorts out the light-weights from the dedicated! :D - I mean, it's Mother's Day, what else would I do??!!)

But it seems - as expected - I haven't missed much, same old same old. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't get today's diary on line either but do have the magazine here.

Potted version of today's effort revolves around her on plane to New York and arguing by text with the baker about his untidiness, how she's forced to drive a zillion miles because of his junkyard garden. He tries to say it's over as he's had enough, then surprise, surprise at the very end he's crawling on the belly to have her back.
    Big yawn as usual.
    The only bit we might not have heard before is him calling her side kick Dawn a hippopotamus - sorry, hypocrite, for once telling Liz not to visit as her own home was too messy.

Her other piece in main paper is designed to upset stay at home mothers, as usual using a little nugget from this weeks news to have a go at women who dare to breed.... sure you can guess.

Something I forgot to mention from diary is this:
    "He has just dared to dump me........"

Oooh, how very dare he :D

Ooh, thanks! I do wish he WOULD dump her. DARE TO DO IT David. He who dares, wins, etc.
    Forum Member
    Suzy_Cat wrote: »
    Ooh, thanks! I do wish he WOULD dump her. DARE TO DO IT David. He who dares, wins, etc.

You're welcome :kitty:
    I know, wish he bloody would. Do it Dave.
    Never mind the mess, put down the dough and get down to the publishers for a book deal cos that's what we really want to read: Dare Devil Dave's Diary.
    Pension pot sorted.