Options

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Comments

• Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    You said the only part which paints him in a negative light is the whole, "I'll get you the sack" thing.

So the punching and 20 minute angry tirade - what were they then?

You're still wrong. You missed out the words "in particular".

I simply don't think it's possible to arbitrarily assert that "verbal abuse" or even "physical violence" are always unjustifiable whereas the whole "You'll never work in this town again!" thing almost certainly is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No different from James May, who claimed he was "blind drunk" and didn't see anything. What does that make him? A spineless liar desperate to save his own skin? Same with Hammond who said nothing at all.

Yep,

Must admit, I really do usually like James May but his comments show him as somebody who's equally determined to paint himself as "a bit of a lad" and, at the same time, remain firmly non-committal.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Because they have been though too many contoversies with Clarkson in charge. The BBC will want to play it safe with someone who will not rock the boat.

So business as usual then :)
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Cowardly enough to lie about the fracas when the story broke "just handbags and some shoving" according to Clarkson and not once since to this point has he admitted to punching & attacking Tymon for 30 seconds. He's a classic school bully and would do anything to save his own skin. A pitiable wretch really.....
    Doesn't make a lot of sense considering it was Clarkson himself that reported the incident to the BBC.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its ironic really, supposedly the most blokey, laddish show on television was being presented by an overgrown spoiled brat and two wimps.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Hilarious to see Top gear fans complaining about political correctness.

He physically attacked someone, you daft bastards.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    No different from James May, who claimed he was "blind drunk" and didn't see anything. What does that make him? A spineless liar desperate to save his own skin? Same with Hammond who said nothing at all.

It makes him sensible enough at least to not potentially drop a bollock by saying something he shouldn't to a doorstepping reporter in the face of an imminent investigation into his colleague.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Doesn't make a lot of sense considering it was Clarkson himself that reported the incident to the BBC.

He's shot himself in the foot by trying to get his version in first. It might well be that the producer would not have reported it anyway. We'll never know!! But one thing's for sure, Clarkson has had to take responsibility for his actions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Clarkson can sue now for that comparison to JS.
    You mean for that comparison with the way BBC staff over-protected both of them? Why? It says nothing about Clarkson personally. He would be idiotic to try and sue for it.
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I agree the guy has been a right K**b over this. However I think that more people are angry about who replaces him, Slow and Hamster. It will no doubt be 3 right on trendys who do not care about cars int he same way the old 3 did.

The BBC need to take their time and really make sure the new lot are suitible not just the current regular TV crop. Sarah Millican et all.

Did you just pull her name out of a hat? Pleasing though it is to see the phrase 'right on trendy's' resurface after 40 years, Millican is hardly a likely candidate for a car show.

Takae wrote: »
    No different from James May, who claimed he was "blind drunk" and didn't see anything. What does that make him? A spineless liar desperate to save his own skin? Same with Hammond who said nothing at all. All three still haven't told their fans to stop harassing Tymon either, which bothers me a bit.
    Yes, me too. Tymon has been their colleague as well, and worked closely with them for years. They can hardly have missed the fact that every paper has been quoting hate-filled threats and abuse against him. A request to cut it out would be no more than basic decency.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Didn't it take him 5 days to do it ?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nail on head.

If any one of them had been lamped at work for making an (arguable) mistake, I doubt they'd be saying, "Oh, it's only X. I'll let him off as he's such a loveable rogue really"

It's unadulterated bollocks to think they would :kitty:

In fact in any workplace, a person who physically strikes a colleague, will be instantly dismissed for gross misconduct, and rightly so.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, me too. Tymon has been their colleague as well, and worked closely with them for years. They can hardly have missed the fact that every paper has been quoting hate-filled threats and abuse against him. A request to cut it out would be no more than basic decency.

The hatred being spewed at Tymon is quite scary, just seen a tweet from someone saying they hope they wake up in the morning and find out he has killed himself. What is wrong with these people?:o
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...at the urging of friends after he was informed the rest of the TG crew were going to dob him in because Tymon was too scared of losing his job. Pays to get the full story I always find.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    In fact in any workplace, a person who physically strikes a colleague, will be instantly dismissed for gross misconduct, and rightly so.

Only if somebody actually makes a formal complaint.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Right. That's what makes them so disappointing.

The optimist in me suggests they may be thinking they were helping by trivialising the incident and not mentioning Tymon, in order to have it back to normal with the original team together, but the pissed-off ex-minion in me isn't willing to consider that possibility.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member

Not mine. I posted when this kicked off that we had two guys rolling around in the car park a while back because one rented a flat from the other, and they had a disagreement about the rent. They were split up and sent home, but both came back to work the next day.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

The formal complaint does not have to come from the victim, just a witness as the victim might be too scared and who could blame them?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Best post of the thread.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

If it takes place inside the average modern open plan office it will be multi witnessed, and those witnesses will probably include managers as well.

I agree that a building site is a bit different, so to some extent it depends on the type of workplace, but I'd say in the majority of cases, violent conduct would lead to dismissal. .
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The hatred being spewed at Tymon is quite scary, just seen a tweet from someone saying they hope they wake up in the morning and find out he has killed himself. What is wrong with these people?:o

I hope all these people get into trouble with the police !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Not mine. I posted when this kicked off that we had two guys rolling around in the car park a while back because one rented a flat from the other, and they had a disagreement about the rent. They were split up and sent home, but both came back to work the next day.

Indeed.

In the construction industry, where it's common for people to work together, live together and go out drinking together, if they fired everybody who got into a scuffle, nothing would ever get built.

In my experience, people are always offered the option of formal disciplinary proceedings but it's usually preferred if things can be sorted out amicably.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's librarians for you! Rough and ready lads!
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That sounds like a mutual thing, not an unprovoked assault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ifr it takes place inside the average modern open plan office it will be multi witnessed, and those witnesses will probably include managers as well.

And even if such an incident did always result in formal disciplinary action, it would account for, what?, 5% or 10% of the working population?

I think you have a rather sterile view of what constitutes a working environment.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    The BBC metropolitan elite will be pleased to see the back of Clarkson. They can now revert to being what they really want to be. The broadcasting arm of the Guardian newspaper.