The Walking Dead - Season 5 - Spike pace (no spoilers)

DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The new channel Spike has picked up the first free to air rights to The Walking Dead - Season 5, ahead of Channel 5.

The channel starts on 15 April.

Comments

• moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Is it a free view channel?
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looked at the website,

"COMING SOON TO:
    FREEVIEW, FREESAT, SKY, TALK TALK

A NEW CHANNEL FROM 5
    "

They've also got Breaking Bad.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The trailer I've seen for Spike has clips from Season 1 so I wonder if they might show the series right from the beginning
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spike UK is actually owned by the same company as Channel 5: Viacom.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it coming to virgin?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it coming to virgin?

I don't think so
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The full press release as posted over in the Broadcasting forum:-
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77465315&postcount=157
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks as though we will have to wait a long time for Season 5, as Spike is apparently starting with Season 3, according to information on a Spike thread:

The first appearance on TWD in the schedules is on Monday night 20 April starting at 00.00, with two episodes.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Season 3, so not much good for anyone new to the show.

At two episodes a week they'll reach the end of Season 4 on August 4th, so that's about when I'd expect them to start showing the (all new to Freeview) 5th season.

Season 4 started on 5* on August 9th last year so that timing seems spot on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah bugger had hoped from the clips that it would be a full run from season 1 up to date.

Wanted to re-live (no pun intended) the Walking Dead from the start
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better news posted on the Spike TV thread:
    Dancc wrote: »
    Season 5 of The Walking Dead is starting sooner than we thought. It's in the press pack for w/c 25th April, and they are showing them in doubles as well.

Not a bad turnaround that because it's only just recently finished up on Fox.

So it will soon be time to set your PVRs - or even watch it as it is broadcast. I find I sleep better if I watch it early evening rather than just before going to bed. :blush:
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,663
    Forum Member
    It looks like it'll be showing on Fridays at 9pm, starting May 1st. Not confirmed yet though.
  • Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I find I sleep better if I watch it early evening rather than just before going to bed. :blush:

You don't know how pleased I am to see someone say that...

It's not a case of having nightmares, it's the edge of the seat tension and occasional off-the-scale adrenaline rush that makes it completely unsuitable bedtime viewing as far as I'm concerned. Much better if I stick with another Big Bang Theory repeat or something similar!

Bit of an awkward day to show it, though. The natural audience probably won't be around to see it at 9pm on a Friday, and speaking personally I tend to find that Saturday and Sunday are pretty well spoken for already, so it'll be Monday before I get a chance to watch it.

Still, can't really complain. It wasn't so long ago we thought Season 4 wouldn't be shown terrestrially, never mind Season 5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah bugger had hoped from the clips that it would be a full run from season 1 up to date.

This week Fox started to repeat Season 1 at 2am on Monday mornings. Unfortunately you will have missed the first two episodes.

It was weird to see Carl looking so young
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The trailer I've seen for Spike has clips from Season 1 so I wonder if they might show the series right from the beginning

Verence wrote: »
    This week Fox started to repeat Season 1 at 2am on Monday mornings. Unfortunately you will have missed the first two episodes.

Yip. Fox UK have started showing TWD right from the very start with a double bill of episodes. Repeat of season 1 started last Sunday night, tonight it's Eps 3 and 4.
    DJW13 wrote: »
    It looks as though we will have to wait a long time for Season 5, as Spike is apparently starting with Season 3, according to information on a Spike thread:

The first appearance on TWD in the schedules is on Monday night 20 April starting at 00.00, with two episodes.
    Originally Posted by Dancc
    Season 3, so not much good for anyone new to the show.

At two episodes a week they'll reach the end of Season 4 on August 4th, so that's about when I'd expect them to start showing the (all new to Freeview) 5th season.

This doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. So they're starting off with Season 3 on Mon 20th April with 2 eps a week but have scheduled Season 5 to begin on Fri 1st May? So basically repeats of Season 3 will be running alongside brand new season 5? Hmmmm.

This really doesn't help anybody who hasn't seen the show before. i'm guessing Fox UK have rights to Season 1 and 2? If Spike UK do have the rights then i'm surprised they haven't decided to start right from the very beginning which to me makes more sense than having 2 different seasons on at the same time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Yip. Fox UK have started showing TWD right from the very start with a double bill of episodes. Repeat of season 1 started last Sunday night, tonight it's Eps 3 and 4.

According to the Fox UK website they will start to show Season 2 in the same slot from April 27th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 5 is confirmed now:
    Also confirmed that The Walking Dead will play on Friday nights at 9pm and 10pm from May 1. This is the fifth season brand new to Freeview and only just recently finished up on pay TV.

Quite why S3 is starting first, without S1, I don't know. Presumably Spike couldn't acquire the rights to S1 and S2?
  • tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Spike UK is actually owned by the same company as Channel 5: Viacom.
    If you look at the Channel 5 web site, Spike is listed as part of "The Channel 5 Family", and its programmes are available on 5 Demand. Perhaps it would have been less confusing if they'd called it 5Spike, to go with 5USA and 5*. ;)

So this is really just the Channel 5 network continuing to show The Walking Dead, but reshuffling within its own channels. It's good, though, that they're showing Season 5 a few months earlier than they would probably have done otherwise. Perhaps they decided to push the boat out, and pay extra to get it early, to get the new channel off to good start.

P.S. Since I moved to my current home a couple of years ago, I've only been able to receive the two main Freeview multiplexes, so I had to watch season 4 of Walking Dead on 5 Demand. I happened to do a rescan yesterday, found I can now get all the multiplexes, and saw the new "Spike" channel. I thought it was probably some low-rent waste of space, so I was pleased to discover it's actually going to be useful.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Is Spike really just 5* or is that channel still going?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A gentle reminder to watch (or set your PVRs) Season 5 on May 1 - Episode 1 at 9 pm, followed by Episode 2 at 10 pm.

I did intend to watch S3 and S4 first, but probably won't have the patience (or disk space) to do that before S5.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you can catch S3 episodes at 12 midnight tonight on Spike, but no point since S5 starts this Friday.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re: Season five episode one, If it's on at 9.00 I wonder if Spike will cut it as FOX UK did? For those unaware, the initial 9.00pm showing on FOX was cut, whilst the repeats a few hours later were not.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tichtich wrote: »
    If you look at the Channel 5 web site, Spike is listed as part of "The Channel 5 Family", and its programmes are available on 5 Demand. Perhaps it would have been less confusing if they'd called it 5Spike, to go with 5USA and 5*. ;)

5pike - Or is that too confusing? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who's watching brand new season 5 of The Walking Dead on Spike UK? Not that long since it finished in the States and on Fox UK.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So who's watching brand new season 5 of The Walking Dead on Spike UK? Not that long since it finished in the States and on Fox UK.

Already seen, Its a very good series but is slow at times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Re: Season five episode one, If it's on at 9.00 I wonder if Spike will cut it as FOX UK did? For those unaware, the initial 9.00pm showing on FOX was cut, whilst the repeats a few hours later were not.

I can confirm it was cut. The "trough" sequence was mostly cut out of it, and they only showed the talking segments. Very disappointing. What's the point of a watershed if they are going to cut something down to PG level? Anyway, Channel 5's catch-up service (Demand Five) has the full uncut version available for anyone who wants to watch it: http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-walking-dead/episodes/episode-1-757.