Options

How do I stop these spider dreams?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
Forum Member
This is probably going to sound weird to some people but I need it to stop!!! My whole life I've had a phobia of spiders, I can look at them but don't really like to and if I'm in the same room as one I sometimes panic. I'm 24 and over the last couple of years I've been having crazy dreams about spiders, I'm not actually sure if dreams are the right word to use.

Basically I am asleep but all of sudden in my "dream" I can see my bedroom Walls and me in my bed as clear as if I'm awake and there is usually a spider running up n down the Walls and sometimes onto my bed. My reactions to this has been anywhere from waking up telling myself it's not real, actually running screaming from my bed while still asleep to once jumping out of bed and falling and damaging the nerves in my arm!!!

Tonight was just a jumping out of bed reaction, I often find myself sweating at the back of my neck and heart pounding so hard and that my breathing is very fast. it's now starting to scare me, was wanting to no if anyone had any similar experiences and what can be done? Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Options
    Summer-SkiesSummer-Skies Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    kimzy1986 wrote: »
    This is probably going to sound weird to some people but I need it to stop!!! My whole life I've had a phobia of spiders, I can look at them but don't really like to and if I'm in the same room as one I sometimes panic. I'm 24 and over the last couple of years I've been having crazy dreams about spiders, I'm not actually sure if dreams are the right word to use.

Basically I am asleep but all of sudden in my "dream" I can see my bedroom Walls and me in my bed as clear as if I'm awake and there is usually a spider running up n down the Walls and sometimes onto my bed. My reactions to this has been anywhere from waking up telling myself it's not real, actually running screaming from my bed while still asleep to once jumping out of bed and falling and damaging the nerves in my arm!!!

Tonight was just a jumping out of bed reaction, I often find myself sweating at the back of my neck and heart pounding so hard and that my breathing is very fast. it's now starting to scare me, was wanting to no if anyone had any similar experiences and what can be done? Sorry for the long post.

Hi kimzy,
    Sorry hunny cant offer any help but here is what dream interpretaions say about dreaming of spiders.

Spiders
    To see a spider in your dream, indicates that you are feeling like an outsider in some situation. Or perhaps you want to keep your distance and stay away from an alluring and tempting situation. The spider is also symbolic of feminine power or an overbearing mother figure in your life. Alternatively, a spider refers to a powerful force protecting you against your self-destructive behavior. If you kill a spider in your dream, then it symbolizes misfortune and bad luck.

To see a spider spinning a web in your dream, signifies that you will be rewarded for your hard work. You will be promoted in your job or recognized for your achievement in a difficult task. Spiders are also a symbol of creativity due to the intricate webs they spin. On a negative note, spiders may indicate a feeling of being entangled or trapped in a sticky or clingy relationship.�It represents some ensnaring and controlling force. You feel that someone or some situation is sucking the life right out of you. Alternatively, if a spider is spinning a web in your dream, then it could be a metaphor for the world wide web and global communication.

To see a spider climbing up a wall in your dream, denotes that your desires will be soon be realized.

To dream that you are bitten by a spider, represents a conflict with your mother or some dominant female figure in your life. The dream may be a metaphor for a devouring mother or the feminine power to possess and entrap. Perhaps you are feeling trapped by some relationship. If you eat a spider or dream that a spider is in your mouth, symbolizes your control over a situation. You are not afraid to exert your dominance in a relationship

Hope someone can come onto here to help you kimzy:)

(My dreams always have plane crashes,bloody terryfying they are too)
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there is any need to look further than your waking phobia to explain why you are dreaming about spiders.

Go to your doctor and ask for help in conquering this fear as it is impacting negatively on the quality of your life - both waking and sleeping. You may have a long wait, so do consider a mild sedative to help you enjoy a deeper sleep (if your doctor advices).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dream interpretations are a load of hokum, especially when the OP has already said that they have arachnophobia. You don't need to be Freud to decipher why they pop up in nightmares.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could look into hypnotherapy as a way to cure you of your phobia. I have a friend who went to hypnotherapy for his fear of flying and it helped him a lot. Or maybe a counseling or listening service to try to overcome what is at the root of your fear. Your dreams sound horrible though, I hope you find a way to put a stop to them. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!