• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it got progressively worse, and that high note at the end... :o
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rachelgata wrote: »
    She was terrible. You could say well done that she had a go singing live and exposed, when many would settle for whispering above a heavy backing track (mentioning no names), but to be honest if that is the result then give me a backing track!!!

I don't think any singer no matter how accomplished HAS to hit every single note in order to sound great, but this was just all round poor karaoke-standard, sorry Kimberley fans.

The song choice was terrible too. A deceptively hard song to sing well, she was up against it from the start. Whose idea was that??

It's the lead single from her new album, which is an album of songs from musicals (the song was featured in the film Moulin Rouge).

It was a stupid idea for her to try and sing that song live because it is difficult to sing. Kimberley just doesn't have a strong enough voice. She also lacks emotion when she sings, which is worrying, considering that songs from musicals are supposed to be acted as well as sung - you should be able to hear the emotion in the singer's voice.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it got progressively worse, and that high note at the end... :o

You stayed with it till then? I don't know what the big surprise is anyway. Kimberley claims the girls all have different singing qualities, but i really am struggling to think what they might be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was an affront to my ears.

Her and Chezza should really be better quality singers than they are.

Terrible.

That goes without saying....Miming to electronically engineered music is their bag
  • niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I did have to change channels when she was singing as it was awful!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's never had a good singing voice, but somehow she pulled off the 'Princess' role in Shrek, and that obviously convinced somebody in the music industry that she has a good voice for showtunes. She hasn't.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was awful. She's a bit deluded if she thinks she has the ability to get into musical theatre. She always had he worst voice in the band, going back to the Popstars: The Rivals days.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I'll fly away" isn't even a showtune. It's a song covered by Nicole Kidman from Moulin Rouge. The album's track listing suggests it's the only one she could attempt live. We should be thankful she didn't attempt Defying Gravity... or worse - Falling Slowly with Ronan (destroyer of all songs he covers) Keating.
  • Keren-HappuchKeren-Happuch Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Kimberley and she looked beautiful last night but god, her singing was atrocious. I love the song as well and she completely butchered it. I knew that she wasn't exactly the best singer in the world but I thought she was better than that. Maybe the song was just too big for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10QmC4lEsj8`

Oh dear . . . .

Where's the tune gone ?

Randy Crawford has a great voice . . . .

Very misguided doing this song, Miss Walsh . . . . .

You don't sing this type of song at an awards show, the people are getting drunk & jovial at an awards show, this just bums you out . .. .

It's a single as well, dearie me . . .. .ballads aint going to cut it, it's not the 80's/90's . . . .
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Why did her management allow her to 'sing' a song that is designed to showcase a proper voice?? She should have stuck to some poppy Kylie type number where the vocals are well hidden beneath a legion of dancers and a sparkly outfit.

I'd agree with this. Kimberley is OK in a limited kind of way but not a vocal diva like Randy Crawford.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    It's the lead single from her new album, which is an album of songs from musicals (the song was featured in the film Moulin Rouge).

It was a stupid idea for her to try and sing that song live because it is difficult to sing. Kimberley just doesn't have a strong enough voice. She also lacks emotion when she sings, which is worrying, considering that songs from musicals are supposed to be acted as well as sung - you should be able to hear the emotion in the singer's voice.

That's a good point....she sang it like an inexperienced X Factor auditionee. If that was meant to kick start her solo career, it was a bit of a disaster.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Kimberly but I wasn't actually surprised, I always thought she was the worst singer in GA anyway. She has always sounded like she is struggling for breath to me when ever she had a solo line in GA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you surprised no disrespect to her i do really like her but she is easily the weakest singer in GA
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    Why didn't she get Beyonce to sing the track and mime to it?
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LMAO - does she not have a manager?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Should we really be surprised? She's always been the weakest singer in GA. She didn't half shout that high note out. :D
    Her timing wasn't good- she was singing out of time with the orchestra.
    Why were there so many key changes??
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was dire -dreadful!:eek:
    She should stick to miming to the teenies because she's no live singer! It annoys me that she thinks she can do musical theatre when there are thousands of unknown singers and actors out there who would wipe the floor with her. :rolleyes:.
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    WANTED: GIRLS ALOUD GANG for crimes against music.

Kimberly 'Killer' Walsh
    Cheryl 'Black eye' Cole
    Nicola 'Ginger Singer' Roberts
    Nadine 'Give it a go' Coyle
    Sarah 'Hearing plugs' Harding

Consult Health and Safety documentation before listening.

:)
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised. She was awful back in the day on Popstars. Her and Cheryl are the worst singers by far in the band, followed by Sarah, then Nicola who is just OK. Nadine is the only one that can properly sing. The others either shout or wail or just fail to stay in tune.

They are fine when it's 5 of them together, but as solo artists they really belong back in the 2000s when miming was widespread because they just aren't good enough live singers apart from Nadine and sometimes Nicola.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soullover wrote: »
    It was dire -dreadful!:eek:
    She should stick to miming to the teenies because she's no live singer! It annoys me that she thinks she can do musical theatre when there are thousands of unknown singers and actors out there who would wipe the floor with her. :rolleyes:.

although i don`t rate her at all as a singer, Why shouldn`t she do something she enjoys? she might not be good at it but it`s not about being the best just doing the best you can with whatever you have. Don`t knock someone for trying.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zone_Out wrote: »
    although i don`t rate her at all as a singer, Why shouldn`t she do something she enjoys? she might not be good at it but it`s not about being the best just doing the best you can with whatever you have. Don`t knock someone for trying.
    Because somebody who could actually have sung could have been on that performance slot. She can' try' all she wants but not on prime time TV with that voice thanks very much:D
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the song is too big for her it's a singers song she should never have gone solo how did she get a record deal?.
    I feel sorry for nadine and nicola if they had good management like cheryl did they would have done better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Nadine has always carried the group vocally.

Which she resents, and is possibly why she often isolates herself from the rest of them. It must be very disheartening knowing you are carrying a fifth rate act. The problem for Nadine though is while she is the only half decent singer among them, she doesnt have the personality to be a solo star, so she will have to make do with only being known in the UK like the other four.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DC 17 wrote: »
    Which she resents, and is possibly why she often isolates herself from the rest of them. It must be very disheartening knowing you are carrying a fifth rate act. The problem for Nadine though is while she is the only half decent singer among them, she doesnt have the personality to be a solo star, so she will have to make do with only being known in the UK like the other four.

I find it funny when people say things like that, like they know this for a fact.