Options

[SPOILERS] - Former Doctor reveals info about 50th Anniversary episode

Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
Forum Member
✭✭
SPOILER

Quote from Tom Baker:

"I am in the special. I'm not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I'm telling you straightaway."

I think that's brilliant! Flying in the face of the bureaucratic 'I'm sworn to secrecy' or 'I can't tell you'.

If they're bringing 4 back, the chances of the other Doctors returning is high too, perhaps in the notorious 'paintings' clue. I'll be really disappointed if we don't see Hurt regenerating into Eccleston at the end.

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the source of this quote is?

I know Baker had supposedly given the game away in an interview a while back so has it been published now?

Never mind, found it.
  • Options
    BadWolfOneBadWolfOne Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I'm not completely overjoyed, if this article is true. Anyone could make a quote up. I'll take it with a punch of salt.

If true, I'm disappointed. Let's face it, there's going to be enough going on with 3 Doctors. Let's hope it's only a small part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering if this was the case for a while, based on something I thought I'd heard in a trailer. Am I mis-remembering...?

There's a moment where Ten says, 'why are we all here?'

But is there a variation of those trailers somewhere where he says, 'why are we all here? Why are all the Doctors here?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But is there a variation of those trailers somewhere where he says, 'why are we all here? Why are all the Doctors here?'

Not that I can recall.

The whole line is "Why are we altogether? Why are we all here?"

It's said with the Three Doctors together so just refers to them I would think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Oh please of course tom is going to be in it..! There's no public statement from anyone (including him) that he isn't! And too bloody right too! The oldest surviving doctor (and still the definitive in the British publics eyes) deserves his day in the sun!
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering if this was the case for a while, based on something I thought I'd heard in a trailer. Am I mis-remembering...?

That last line came from the Big Finish trailer for their multi doctor story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    And digital spy have ran the story...that's me a believer then
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »

The whole line is "Why are we altogether? Why are we all here?"

'Why are we in the altogether?'
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect there's more to it than this. Tom's a bohemian, but I'm sure he'd play the game if he's been required.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This won't hurt the viewing figures, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone was coming back and was desperately trying to avoid finding out who, then another website had "Tom Baker claims he's in Day of the Doctor and I gave up hope for humanity.
  • Options
    KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    If this is true, and he's playing the part of the Fourth Doctor, this is fantastic news. The greatest and most iconic Doctor of them all is back! For whole generations of people is he DW. If I was to show my mother a picture of DT and TB, she'd say 'That's David Tennant, Oh, and that's Doctor Who'. We know it's a cameo, because Moffat has said that Ten and Eleven are the main stars, but let's hope TB is allowed a decent seven minutes of screen time just like the wonderful PMcG did last week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be really disappointed if we don't see Hurt regenerating into Eccleston at the end.

Maybe we'll se it in 'The Last Day – exclusive mini episode'. Maybe it is last day of John Hurt?

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-dvd-pre-order/
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we'll se it in 'The Last Day – exclusive mini episode'. Maybe it is last day of John Hurt?

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-dvd-pre-order/

Ooh, very shrewd of you! I'd love that to be the case. In terms of Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey, can Derek Jacobi's Master sneak a cameo too? If he fought Hurt then surely Tennant would remember in Utopia.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Last Day doesn't feature any Doctors.

It's available to purchase on iTunes.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the just use his voice as a narrator?
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first suspicion of this was when Tom Baker suspended the 'ask Tom a question' sub-forum on his personal website earlier in the year without really giving a reason. I could never really imagine Tom Baker being happy to outright lie and say he's not involved if he was. It's just not really in his character. I think he'd prefer to just be silent about it and I kind of suspected that may have been his motive at the time.

And then my girlfriend and I saw the pictures of Tom at Buckingham Palace (or wherever it was) earlier in the week and both immediately said 'he's in it'. I just can't imagine Tom Baker, no fan of the BBC, involving himself in functions like that unless he's actually involved in the television show (ie being employed by the BBC).
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    And then my girlfriend and I saw the pictures of Tom at Buckingham Palace (or wherever it was) earlier in the week and both immediately said 'he's in it'. I just can't imagine Tom Baker, no fan of the BBC, involving himself in functions like that unless he's actually involved in the television show (ie being employed by the BBC).

But why couldn't he have just been invited to the Palace as he was an old Doctor? Doesn't prove that he's definitely in the 50th... if that was the case then Peter Davison and Catherine Tate would also be in the 50th...
    Now you've got me wondering... are they??? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadWolfOne wrote: »
    I'm not completely overjoyed, if this article is true. Anyone could make a quote up. I'll take it with a punch of salt.

If true, I'm disappointed. Let's face it, there's going to be enough going on with 3 Doctors. Let's hope it's only a small part.

Id rather have Tom Baker back in a long role than David Bloody Tennant who only left a few years ago or even some Doctor Moff decided to make up to annoy fandom.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    But why couldn't he have just been invited to the Palace as he was an old Doctor? Doesn't prove that he's definitely in the 50th... if that was the case then Peter Davison and Catherine Tate would also be in the 50th...

No, it doesn't prove anything, of course not. It just seemed to be something out of character, or out of the ordinary for him to do. I don't think he's been involved in any official publicity events (not counting conventions) for Doctor who for decades, which is what the event essentially was. So that's why we both just kind of thought 'yeah, he's probably in it'. It doesn't necessarily mean the same thing with Davison or Tate because it is more common for both of them to do Who related publicity events. That said, I do think Davison will be in it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    ... if that was the case then Peter Davison and Catherine Tate would also be in the 50th...

Well
    both are rumoured to be.

Davison cause he admitted to having a copy of the script and Tate due to an Interview in a Magazine (never saw the full interview so don't know if she actually said she was in it but the preamble claimed she was).
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    Well

Davison cause he admitted to having a copy of the script
    Well to be fair I hear his son in law may have got his hands on one ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Well to be fair I hear his son in law may have got his hands on one ;)
    If I remember correctly, Davison's copy was one specially for him, with his name embossed on it.
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they are all in it and have been feeding the media with a pack of lies for months...
    Maybe none of them (apart from the three confirmed) are in it...
    Maybe it's old footage...
    Maybe it's CGI...

Does that cover everything?
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Maybe they are all in it and have been feeding the media with a pack of lies for months...
    Maybe none of them (apart from the three confirmed) are in it...
    Maybe it's old footage...
    Maybe it's CGI...

Does that cover everything?

Oh, you're being a spoilsport now!! :D
    What would we do here all day if we couldn't speculate wildly? :)