The Avengers 1960s

Comments

• HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Tara King's ever changing hairstyles(depending on when they were filmed!), got to be worth a look!

It must have been a continuity nightmare - even just in singular episodes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why have they skipped the "game" episode?? >:(>:(>:(
    been looking forward to that for ages, haven't seen it since it was shown on Bravo in the 90s
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    why have they skipped the "game" episode?? >:(>:(>:(
    been looking forward to that for ages, haven't seen it since it was shown on Bravo in the 90s

Game episode??
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    Ah yes Game is the story that's usually shown as Tara's first one, but this time they seem to be showing the episodes in production order.

So I don't think they've skipped Game, they just haven't got to it yet. I've looked ahead and they seem to be following this order: http://theavengers.tv/forever/king.htm
    Just ignore Forget-Me-Knot being after Tara King's first two stories. It would have made no sense if they had stuck to that.
    From this I think Game will be on Monday the 30th.

I've learnt that you can tell which are the earlier episodes as Tara is usually relying on wigs, especially that brunette bob that you think is her real hair. She loses the wigs later on and has her natural short curly hair, which she has in Game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers meglos that's cleared it up for me
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I am rather fond of 'Get-a-way', looking at the production order kindly provided by meglosmurmers, I personally think the Tara King series really kicked in quality-wise with 'Look (Stop Me)...' and remained pretty consistant from thereon in.

Love Game. Brilliantly directed by Robert Fuest, full of great imagery....and the late great Peter Jeffries going off on one. Marvellous!
    Forum Member
    Get-A-Way featured two regular cliches that are slightly over-used on the show:
    - another friend (or friends) of Steed is introduced (Steed knows everyone) and then they die.
    - all the enemies seem to know where Steed lives, which is surely highly dangerous. I did find it funny when Tara told Steed in Forget-Me-Knot that his address is restricted information. I was saying to myself "Well you must be the only one who doesn't know it."

I am looking forward to 'Look - (Stop Me..)' though. It's delightfully silly and feels like a breath of fresh air.
    Zenith wrote: »
    I noticed how disjointed the Ducking stool scene was the other day in Murdersville.

Looks like it was cut to avoid showing the actual ducking.

I assume it was shown in the original.

That was hilarious. It kind of killed the drama with her going up and down like a yo-yo. She certainly wouldn't have drowned with that edit but she may have suffered whiplash.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It must have been a continuity nightmare - even just in singular episodes!

What was Linda Thorson's normal style at that point?

In 'Stop Me' etc tonight, she had both short brown hair & long brown hair, plus her mini beehive style.

Have Guns Will Haggle also had her in a blond wig,

Presumbly this was one of the early ones?
  • Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just catching up with this week's episodes and John Cleese is in it

Never realised he guested in this series
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Famous names in tonight's episode

Edward Fox
    Peter Vaughan ("Genial" Harry Grout from Porridge)
    Philip Madoc (U-Boat Captain in that episode of Dad's Army)
    John Savident (Coronation Street)
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I am rather fond of 'Get-a-way', looking at the production order kindly provided by meglosmurmers, I personally think the Tara King series really kicked in quality-wise with 'Look (Stop Me)...' and remained pretty consistant from thereon in.

Love Game. Brilliantly directed by Robert Fuest, full of great imagery....and the late great Peter Jeffries going off on one. Marvellous!

Game is marvellous. Not only the best Tara King ep, but one of the best Avengers eps, period.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the trumpet flourish.

They are variable, but am very fond of a lot of Tara King stories. Said before, when they are good they are very very good, and when they are bad....you get Invasion of the Earthmen. Any first time watchers, it gets better....honest. ;-).

I couldn't agree more. Although the B&W Emma Peel eps are the high water mark of the series, the colour Rigg eps - particularly in the latter production blocks - are every bit as variable as the Tara King eps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did people think of Tara King's potential, possible (?) replacement, Lady Diana, in Killer?

I liked her, but wouldnt have wanted to see Tara go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On tonight's show

Henry McGee Benny Hill's sidekick and the guy from the Sugar Puffs advert

Fulton Mackay Mr Mackay from Porridge

Dudley Sutton Tinker from Lovejoy

Valentine Dyall
    Forum Member
    No more Tara wigs. It's au naturel from now on.
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    What did people think of Tara King's potential, possible (?) replacement, Lady Diana, in Killer?

I liked her, but wouldnt have wanted to see Tara go.

I thought she did a good job, she had a certain kind of attitude that I liked.
    I never really looked at her and thought that she's simply saying lines written for Tara, which she obviously was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Although the B&W Emma Peel eps are the high water mark of the series, the colour Rigg eps - particularly in the latter production blocks - are every bit as variable as the Tara King eps.

We have similar tastes in The Avengers! The colour Riggs did get a bit spotty towards the end. Although I'd personally put the early colour Riggs slightly above her first series....but close run thing. From Venus....was the first Avengers episode I saw when C4 repeated it in 198....um, 2? Memories not what it was! Nostalgia might play a part.

See My Wildest Dream has been shown. On first time viewing, it was one of my favourites, although not sure how it's generally regarded. Strong concept, good cast and some nice imagery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode should be the first one that has Mother's assistant Rhonda in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We have similar tastes in The Avengers! The colour Riggs did get a bit spotty towards the end. Although I'd personally put the early colour Riggs slightly above her first series....but close run thing. From Venus....was the first Avengers episode I saw when C4 repeated it in 198....um, 2? Memories not what it was! Nostalgia might play a part.

See My Wildest Dream has been shown. On first time viewing, it was one of my favourites, although not sure how it's generally regarded. Strong concept, good cast and some nice imagery.

I seem to remember C4 showing the Tara King some time in the late 80s/early 90s and they might have shown the colour Mrs Peel ones immediately before. A few years after that they showed the Mrs Gale episode in the graveyard slot.

BBC4 showed some b/w Mrs Peels a couple of years ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasnt 'My Wildest Dream' a questionable one in some regions on original transmission?

The Andrew Pixley Public Eye mentions some regions exchanged PE & this Avengers episode due to subject matter!
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Tonight's episode should be the first one that has Mother's assistant Rhonda in
    She was in the previous night's episode:- "You'll Catch Your Death".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    She was in the previous night's episode:- "You'll Catch Your Death".

My mistake
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I seem to remember C4 showing the Tara King some time in the late 80s/early 90s and they might have shown the colour Mrs Peel ones immediately before. A few years after that they showed the Mrs Gale episode in the graveyard slot.

BBC4 showed some b/w Mrs Peels a couple of years ago

Apologies if this isn't 100% accurate but I'm doing this from memory and as i saw The Avengers first time round I'm getting on a bit so the old memory isn't quite what it used to be.

As I recall C4 kicked off with the Diana Rigg colour episodes in 82, and showed some of the Linda Thorson episodes in 84. i seem to recall the programme Right To Reply mentioning many people had complained that the monochrome Rigg episodes had been ignore, so C4 showed these from autumn 84 through to summer 85. The remaining Thorson episodes were, I think, shown after this.

There was an excellent documentary about The Avengers shown on C4 in January 1992 as part of the Without Walls series. In the autumn of that year through to early 93 C4 then began showing 12 early episodes of The Avengers, mainly Honor Blackman episodes, but they began with the only surviving complete episode at the time with Ian Hendry, The Frighteners.

I had cable television in the 90s and Bravo ahowed all of the surviving episodes, including Honor Blackman's, in 94. C4 then showed all of the filmed episodes, from monochrome Rigg onwards, starting in autumn 95. This took a couple of years or so and I seem to remember some of the later ones going out very late in the early hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think your memory is pretty much spot on there, culttvfan. The b & w Riggs were shown about 6pm on C4.

Late 1982 was definitely when Channel 4 kicked off with 'From Venus With Love'. At about 11.30pm. Those were the days. Discovering The Avengers as a 13 year old, and then The Prisoner followed soon after. A lifelong love ensued.
  • trilobitetrilobite Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone experience difficulty in recording The Avengers on the Freeview Platform?

I have it set to Series Record on True Entertainment (channel 61), on a Humax HDR Fox T2.

Invariably, one episode will record fine one evening. The next night, there are two attempts to record: one file is a failed zero minutes, the other file being the final half-hour of the episode.

Some episodes are listed in the EPG as being series linked, yet others are standalone episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »
    Does anyone experience difficulty in recording The Avengers on the Freeview Platform?

I have it set to Series Record on True Entertainment (channel 61), on a Humax HDR Fox T2.

Invariably, one episode will record fine one evening. The next night, there are two attempts to record: one file is a failed zero minutes, the other file being the final half-hour of the episode.

Some episodes are listed in the EPG as being series linked, yet others are standalone episodes.

Never tried it on my Freeview Plus Panny, but my Sky Plus is hit & miss at times.

(I swear blind I've seen entries disappear before my eyes!)

As I mentioned in one of the Radio threads, I've been in Liverpool part of this week & set a few things to tape on Freeview & Sky & I've only had one failure, which was an episode of 'Crossroads' on Big Centre Tv via Freeview. All The Avengers did actually record on Sky !

(Last year I was in Skeggy, & due to the Horror Channel not switching off after transmitting a Dr Who, I ended up missing a week of The Pallisers as there was no room on my box! In fact I gave up with the rest of The Pallisers at that point!)