English folk on the left, should hope the snp do well

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because they are like real labour used to be, before they became tories in disguise. The snp would force labour to be more leftist and that's good for the English left.

Comments

• trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And such is the gullibility and naivety of the Left.

All the SNP will be interested in is screwing as much for Scotland out of Numpty Miliband as they possibly can. They couldn't give two figs about the rest of the UK.

Everyone NOT on the dopey Left should hope the SNP aren't anywhere near the balance of power. Sadly it is looking very likely.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SNP and DUP - two parties who should not be allowed anywhere near power.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Because they are like real labour used to be, before they became tories in disguise. The snp would force labour to be more leftist and that's good for the English left.

Is it? - when the Labour Party were left wing they didnt win elections.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SNP and DUP - two parties who should not be allowed anywhere near power.

It's called democracy - if you don't like it..........................move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called democracy - if you don't like it..........................move.

Oh no it's not. It's called FPTP.

If the SNP won the proportionate number of seats to votes, it would stand very little chance of holding the balance of power - even if it did fantastically well in vote share.

I have no problem with small parties having influence in coalition when they have the good of the entire country at heart. That does not apply to the SNP.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

If the SNP won the proportionate number of seats to votes, it would stand very little chance of holding the balance of power - even if it did fantastically well in vote share.

I have no problem with small parties having influence in coalition when they have the good of the entire country at heart. That does not apply to the SNP.

And FPTP is part of the democratic process as laid down by Parliament - therefore it's democracy.

Many times Scotland returned a majority of Labour MPs only to be stuck with a Tory Government thanks to English votes.

It was okay then - now all of a sudden it's a major problem?
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    And FPTP is part of the democratic process as laid down by Parliament - therefore it's democracy.
    No it isn't. A democratic process involves all of the people, FPTP removes huge swathes of the people from the process by creating safe seats.
  • CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

This. The question is how big is the English left? It's no coincidence that Labour became a centre right party (and still is) to beat the Tories. And now the Tories and Labour are both trying to fight off the even further right UKIP. So Scotland might look like wanting a centre left government, but does England?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »

Ergo the SNP shouldn't be allowed to be part of the UK Parliament and should be outlawed from being allowed to field candidates in the UK GE. Seems reasonable.... :o
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    They don't need SNP. Ed is "Red Ed" remember?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many times Scotland returned a majority of Labour MPs only to be stuck with a Tory Government thanks to English votes.

Parliament does not decide what constitutes democracy. The dictionary does, and FPTP does not comply in any shape or form. Under no stretch of the imagination can democracy be described as "government by the will of a minority of the people".

If you're complaining that Scotland was governed by the Conservatives ruling by majority on a minority of votes, then fine. That goes for every government since the war other than the period of the Lib-Lab coalition and the one we have now.

They were, at least, national parties rather than the nasty, parochial bunch of Little Scotlanders.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whether the SNP is left or right is just a quirk of timing, the Scots aren't voting for them because of their political leaning.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I see, its OK as long as its being imposed on us but when we have a sniff of imposing something similar then thats OK too.

I see it simply as a result of our electoral system being set up for two main parties. Proper PR would of course give us coalitions every time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether the SNP is left or right is just a quirk of timing, the Scots aren't voting for them because of their political leaning.

We are also not voting for them as a majority. Last time I saw a poll the SNP were under 50%. Of course becuase the way our system works they might get 50 MPs but that does not mean they have the majority of Scottish support, if they did wed all be independent next year.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Proper PR would of course give us coalitions every time.
    Only if none of the parties can drum up sufficient support to earn a majority of the seats. And if they can't, well that's a failing of the parties, not the system.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are also not voting for them as a majority. Last time I saw a poll the SNP were under 50%. Of course becuase the way our system works they might get 50 MPs but that does not mean they have the majority of Scottish support, if they did wed all be independent next year.

Even under a PR system the SNP still won a majority in Hollyrood. Which was not supposed to be possible, or at least massively unlikely.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    English folk on the left, should hope the snp do well

I do not want nationalist parties to do well full stop.

I particularly do not support nationalist parties if by doing well they ensure the Tories stay the largest party in government.
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any political party that is a 'nationalist' party has danger written all over it IMHO.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

I particularly do not support nationalist parties if by doing well they ensure the Tories stay the largest party in government.

It is not about being the largest party. It is about being able to command a majority in the House of Commons
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oxygenated wrote: »
    Any political party that is a 'nationalist' party has danger written all over it IMHO.

The SNP should have thought about a name change a long time ago. I think its way past time they dropped the nationalist line for something more progressive and less aggressive.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Oxygenated wrote: »

Just as well that it is The Scottish National party then
  • OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »

Wikipedia states that:

"The Scottish National Party (SNP) (Scottish Gaelic: Pàrtaidh Nàiseanta na h-Alba, Scots: Scots Naitional Pairtie) is a Scottish nationalist[13][14] and social-democratic[15][16][17] political party in Scotland. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Party
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brawlad wrote: »

and if the Tories exited Scotland and brought back the SUP, they would get just as many votes as the SNP.

The Scots just don't like voting for non-Scottish parties.
  • CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »

Neither did the SNP, hence why they haven't suggested increasing income tax again...

Now they just talk left wing and act authoritarian...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Aren't the Tories and Labour British Nationalist parties? They've both supported British jobs for British workers and made noises about the role of the UK in the world, and o don't see them fielding candidates elsewhere as international political parties.