Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    testcard wrote: »
    Tim Wonnacott. Very unpleasant to work with according to someone I know who has worked on Bargain Hunt.

To be honest - I may be being a little unfair - I can imagine him not being as jolly and pleasant as he appears (not with those teeth and that taste in clothes). I was thinking more of the 'experts' who appear on the show.
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,430
    Forum Member
    RyJa wrote: »
    I remember reading about Tommy Steele and he was appearing in a musical where it rained, and added the water was ummmmmm.... Some special 'water' from the technicians

Yes, I heard that one. He was so difficult while appearing in 'Singing In The Rain' that the crew used to wee in the water tank that provided the rain for when he was doing his big number.

Revenge is sweet.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met Anton Du Beke and Erin Boag from Strictly. Both were absolutely delightful - very considerate and charming. Made sure they saw everyone and didn't Rush at all. Made everyone feel valued.

I've also met a couple of Doctors - Peter Davison and Matt Smith. Both were fabulous.
    Peter was genuinely touched when I told him he was my doctor and was very friendly.
    Matt went above and beyond: I was on a crutch at a meet and greet at the 50th convention and didn't want that in the pic so I passed it to a friend and started to limp over to him. He came over to me and helped me walk taking a good chunk of my weight (and I'm not a light girl!) Such a gent! I couldn't have asked for more from him.

I've never had a bad experience with a celeb. Although I haven't met many...
  • samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont see why celebs have to always be nice to fans

What about if they are having a horrible day and people approach them for pics etc...and they decline...does that make them a bad person?
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met Anton Du Beke and Erin Boag from Strictly. Both were absolutely delightful - very considerate and charming. Made sure they saw everyone and didn't Rush at all. Made everyone feel valued.

I've also met a couple of Doctors - Peter Davison and Matt Smith. Both were fabulous.
    Peter was genuinely touched when I told him he was my doctor and was very friendly.
    Matt went above and beyond: I was on a crutch at a meet and greet at the 50th convention and didn't want that in the pic so I passed it to a friend and started to limp over to him. He came over to me and helped me walk taking a good chunk of my weight (and I'm not a light girl!) Such a gent! I couldn't have asked for more from him.

I've never had a bad experience with a celeb. Although I haven't met many...

Lovely to hear that, Lolly. He is my favourite nu-Who Doctor. :)
    Peter Davison always comes across as nice too.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    Tim Wonnacott. Very unpleasant to work with according to someone I know who has worked on Bargain Hunt.

He came across fine on Strictly. If he is a pain, than my admiration for his pro, Natalie Lowe grows even more. :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont see why celebs have to always be nice to fans

What about if they are having a horrible day and people approach them for pics etc...and they decline...does that make them a bad person?

Sometimes these stars should remember just who exactly keeps them in their rich and famous lifestyles. There's always polite ways of declining photos, autographs etc but being nasty, abusive and swearing isn't one of them
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine met the two guys out of the Pet Shop Boys (Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe) backstage at a Festival, and he says they were as sound as a pound and had a few cans of beer with him. I always thought they were gay, but he says they were chewing the faces off two girl groupies....
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Sometimes these stars should remember just who exactly keeps them in their rich and famous lifestyles. There's always polite ways of declining photos, autographs etc but being nasty, abusive and swearing isn't one of them

To be honest, I don't agree with you that famous people owe us anything - and it's that kind of attitude that leads members of the public to act rudely and inappropriately. There are times when it is not appropriate to expect celebrities to sign things or pose for photos- and that has been discussed at length on this thread. Members of the public should always be polite as well. Of course we all have bad days, and famous people are just the same. I think the issue here is when celebs are rude at public events, such as signings, and when the same names crop up again and again.
  • mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. To use four letter words to kids after being asked for an autograph is inexcusable.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    A mate of mine met the two guys out of the Pet Shop Boys (Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe) backstage at a Festival, and he says they were as sound as a pound and had a few cans of beer with him. I always thought they were gay, but he says they were chewing the faces off two girl groupies....

As far as I know...Neil is and Chris isn't.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dislike that kind of thinking because not only it's not fair, it's not true. The majority of 'stars' aren't wealthy, either.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't agree with you that famous people owe us anything - and it's that kind of attitude that leads members of the public to act rudely and inappropriately. There are times when it is not appropriate to expect celebrities to sign things or pose for photos- and that has been discussed at length on this thread. Members of the public should always be polite as well. Of course we all have bad days, and famous people are just the same. I think the issue here is when celebs are rude at public events, such as signings, and when the same names crop up again and again.

Well said.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it part of their career and the entertainers should always be polite.
    If they do not want to sign there are ways to be nice can make up something like ''sorry am in a hurry running late for my appointment'' if they get stopped in the street
    If the star got shopping with them they can add on need to dash expecting phone call at home.
    In resturant they can say please excuse me like to eat my food pipping hot,where are you sitting I come over later.
    If autograph hunter still there all star got to do is just do quick scibble autograph
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I dislike that kind of thinking because not only it's not fair, it's not true. The majority of 'stars' aren't wealthy, either.

They aren't exactly on minimum wage though, are they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it part of their career and the entertainers should always be polite.
    If they do not want to sign there are ways to be nice can make up something like ''sorry am in a hurry running late for my appointment'' if they get stopped in the street
    If the star got shopping with them they can add on need to dash expecting phone call at home.
    In resturant they can say please excuse me like to eat my food pipping hot,where are you sitting I come over later.
    If autograph hunter still there all star got to do is just do quick scibble autograph
    Autograph hunters can be incredibly rude. No one should have to do their job 24 hours a day- and celebrities do not have to sign autographs in their off- duty time.If you think they do you are asking for trouble.
    Plus, if you are approaching celebrities in restaurants you are also likely to be disturbing their friends and family ( including children) who aren't famous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't exactly on minimum wage though, are they?
    Neither is your GP. He/she isn't available 24 hours a day either.
  • Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very well put. My mum saw David Walliams out with his wife and son at london zoo but declined to approach him as she felt he deserved to enjoy his family outing without harassment.

The way I see it and I appreciate some won't agree but it's like a boss calling you constantly on your day off. You want them to leave you alone. A celeb on a family outing doesn't need to be constantly approached by the public.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autograph hunters can be incredibly rude. No one should have to do their job 24 hours a day- and celebrities do not have to sign autographs in their off- duty time.If you think they do you are asking for trouble.
    Plus, if you are approaching celebrities in restaurants you are also likely to be disturbing their friends and family ( including children) who aren't famous.

I do not personaly do this
    I have though been in resturant with my friend and my fave singer with his family and friends were there and he saw us and came up to say hello.
    Not the first time he did that either but he is lovely always time for his fans before and after concerts
    I was in a Harvester sometime ago and I was told by a waitress whom knew son and I are Arsenal supporters told us that Arsenal footballer was in Harvester day before and people keept going up to him he was happy to sign etc then If I recall rightly she said he said he sign bit later which he didfor customers and staff

Edit to say
    I seen Stephen Fry in theatre member of audiance but I did not go up to him and I seen others would not dream to go up to them .
    I only wait by stage door to get autographs and some do signings inside theatre
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would not ask anybody for an autograph. I wouldn't speak to them either. If I was in a situation where conversation happened naturally I would chat to them but I would not go over to them, or expect anything from them. I might have a slight surreptitious peek at the corner of my eye, but that's it. I think half of it is pride - I don't think they are any better than me (and I don't think I am better than anyone else) and talking to them to get their attention just smacks of deference to me.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would not ask anybody for an autograph. I wouldn't speak to them either. If I was in a situation where conversation happened naturally I would chat to them but I would not go over to them, or expect anything from them. I might have a slight surreptitious peek at the corner of my eye, but that's it. I think half of it is pride - I don't think they are any better than me (and I don't think I am better than anyone else) and talking to them to get their attention just smacks of deference to me.

I think I'm a bit like that, so understand where you're coming from.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Roy wrote: »
    The idea of a conversation about vintage comedy with Paul Weller is much more interesting :D

He'd probably just say 'That's entertainment'.

(groan)
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's unfair. It's not like you give them money for free. You're paying for a movie, song, album etc. They don't owe fans time just because they're rich.

Everyone has been rude at some point. Even me and I hate rudeness. We're only human.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    That's unfair. It's not like you give them money for free. You're paying for a movie, song, album etc. They don't owe fans time just because they're rich.

Everyone has been rude at some point. Even me and I hate rudeness. We're only human.

Exactly, I'm sure a plumber out for a meal with some friends would be delighted to have someone interrupt them to discuss a blocked toilet. I certainly don't like it when I'm on a day off and people talk to me about work. I regard people in showbiz the same way - I pay to see them do their job, when they are not working that's their time.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine saw Yootha Joyce in a restaurant in London back in the days when she was in Man About The House, (or it may have been George and Mildred), approached her for an autograph and she was rudely dismissed by Yootha. I agree with the above posters who say when well known people are on their own time they shouldn't be disturbed.

An ex colleague of mine was on holiday in Florida sometime in the 90's and Johnny Briggs was in the same complex as them. My colleague was mortified that for two weeks her husband attempted to become Johnny's best friend. Johnny, for his part was always very courteous and friendly. and was never dismissive of him at all.