Does anyone use Trusteer Rapport for their intenet banking?

If so, when I tried to download it from the HSBC website. I got the error code PREVUNIS.

Is it a virus?

Comments

• emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got Trusteer Rapport installed on the computer I do banking on.
    I've never had any problems with it. It's just a browser add-on that gives an added layer of security.
    An article about it here.
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2010/04/a-closer-look-at-rapport-from-trusteer/

Googling that error code, most people just suggest you uninstall and try again.
    Not sure what it means
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read conflicting reports. It's given some people terrible problems and is apparently very difficult to uninstall. My bank keeps flogging it at me but so far I've not accepted it. I've yet to find a meaningful description of what it does, only meaningless marketing techno-babble.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Not a problem to use it if you want to - certainly not a virus itself.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    I would say if you have a good firewall installed with a good anti keylogger etc you shouldn't need it. There are a lot of reports of it causing problems for some people. I've so far resisted my banks attempts at pushing this. They don't make it mandatory.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if you only ever go directly to your online bank you don't really need it.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It messed up my keyboard and was a general PITA so I ditched it.
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've finally got rid of it because it slows down my computer.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried it 4 years ago, never again since.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I would say if you have a good firewall installed with a good anti keylogger etc you shouldn't need it. There are a lot of reports of it causing problems for some people. I've so far resisted my banks attempts at pushing this. They don't make it mandatory.

Do people still put on third party firewalls?
    I had the Zonealarm one when I had XP, but haven't had one since.
    And I wouldn't have a clue about an anti-keylogger?

I only have the Rapport software on one PC. I tried it without and I tried it with, and I can't tell any difference in performance etc.

Having said that, I haven't tried to uninstall it, and I'm not sure exactly what it does. :D

ETA: I see there's another thread now.
    Forum Member
    emptybox wrote: »
    Do people still put on third party firewalls?
    I had the Zonealarm one when I had XP, but haven't had one since.
    And I wouldn't have a clue about an anti-keylogger?

I only have the Rapport software on one PC. I tried it without and I tried it with, and I can't tell any difference in performance etc.

Having said that, I haven't tried to uninstall it, and I'm not sure exactly what it does. :D

ETA: I see there's another thread now.

Obviously they do......Comodo has an anti key logger.....
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using Rapport for years without any problems. Doesn't slow my computer down at all :)
  • vadekvadek Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I used Trusteer Rapport for a long time without any problems at all. It appeared to work exactly as intended in protecting my banking sessions. It was only when I discovered that it was regularly sending large chunks of data from my PC to their servers that I decided to uninstall it. I asked them what data is was uploading but never got a satisfactory response.

I now use SpyShelter Personal Free to detect any bad software behaviour on my PC, including keyloggers.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All now pointless nonsense in view of the news that our thick idiot governments have broken the encryption allowing criminals to get through the back doors that have been created.
    Forum Member
    All now pointless nonsense in view of the news that our thick idiot governments have broken the encryption allowing criminals to get through the back doors that have been created.

Been like that for a while now. Makes even more of a nonsense of the 'If you have nothing to hide......' argument....:D
  • MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't Trusteer Rapport just been bought by an AV company?

I'm sure I read this the other day but can't find the article.

Not that this answers the OP's question.
    Forum Member
    If there is still anyone out there that thinks Trusteer is any good....Watch this...Trusteer Report
  • the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there is still anyone out there that thinks Trusteer is any good....Watch this...Trusteer Report

:eek::eek:
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every time I log into my Nationwide accounts they offer me it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My god that's difficult to listen to. Could they not have got a better speaker? :rolleyes:
    And he says he's going to use a scientific approach to rubbish Trusteer Rapport? Just shows he hasn't got a clue what a scientific approach is.

But.... if it doesn't do any good, then I may as well uninstall it.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never heard of it.
  • culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finally got rid of it because it slows down my computer.

Same here, and a real pain to uninstall properly too (leaves behind stubborn files and folders in various locations even when you think you've uninstalled it).

Like others have said, a good up-to-date anti virus and 3rd party firewall with HIPS (Avast and Comodo in my case) should be sufficient. Instead of Trusteer Rapport I now also use the well reviewed Hitman Pro Alert:
    http://www.surfright.nl/en/alert
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I have. It running on the basis that if anything goes wrong, the bank can not say it was my own fault! Can't say it makes any difference to how the computer runs.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,464
    Forum Member
    Err..no.

I have anti virus, a firewall, I don't partake in believing phising emails, I know it won't ask me for my full details, and I check the Https in the adddress bar.

I don't see what else the program can add apart from slowing down my system.