Options

England in World Cup Semi!

howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just beaten Belgium (men's) in a game they had to win to get to the Semi-Final of the World Hockey Cup which will be v Netherlands on Friday.

After what has seemed an immeasurably long and difficult week for both the men and women's teams - with some darned good thrashings on the way, I'm amazed that the men have emerged with a fourth-place at worst!! ^_^

Anyhow...well done them and anyone who managed to find the game tucked away on Sky Sports 4.

Just wonder if there were more people watching via pirates and un-blocked Youtube than on Sky??

Comments

• Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard are you doing your moaning again ? Tucked away on Sky Sports 4 ? The other games have been on Sky Sports 3 so I don't think people would have had to call in Interpol to help them find it do you ?
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey Sky have given amazing coverage to this tournament- every match live I think, and still people are moaning!
    SS4 was good enough for the US Masters Golf so I don't see the problem.

Anyway, well done to England- I enjoyed the last part of the match and will try to watch the semi on Friday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Howard are you doing your moaning again ? Tucked away on Sky Sports 4 ? The other games have been on Sky Sports 3 so I don't think people would have had to call in Interpol to help them find it do you ?
    Look at all the posts on England Hockey's facebook page(s) and in the comments after all the posts you might find just a few asking "where can I watch the game" often followed by "but I don't have Sky". I don't make that bit up - go look.

But that aside - where will I be able to find the viewing figures for today's game when/if published?? If there's over 100k I'll be impressed. But either way, would love to know the breakdown of Sky viewers and those using alternative methods.

As a comparison Dutch TV have studios (obviously) at the game and wander round the crowds. Gives you a much better feel of "being there" then covering it from a studio. Not seen enough of Sky's coverage to know if they have presented any games from within the stadiums (when I was there I certainly didn't see anyone involved with Sky) - be such a pity for the viewers to miss out on the tremendous atmosphere there, in and around the two stadiums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Look at all the posts on England Hockey's facebook page(s) and in the comments after all the posts you might find just a few asking "where can I watch the game" often followed by "but I don't have Sky". I don't make that bit up - go look.

But that aside - where will I be able to find the viewing figures for today's game when/if published?? If there's over 100k I'll be impressed. But either way, would love to know the breakdown of Sky viewers and those using alternative methods.

As a comparison Dutch TV have studios (obviously) at the game and wander round the crowds. Gives you a much better feel of "being there" then covering it from a studio. Not seen enough of Sky's coverage to know if they have presented any games from within the stadiums (when I was there I certainly didn't see anyone involved with Sky) - be such a pity for the viewers to miss out on the tremendous atmosphere there, in and around the two stadiums.

Well if they don't have Sky they would have known earlier than yesterday it wasn't on terrestrial surely ? A lot of popular sports are just on Sky so a minority sport like Hockey should think itself lucky with all the coverage it got. My favourite sport is Rugby League. To watch the World Cup of that I had to subscribe to Premier Sports even as a Sky subscriber.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they don't have Sky they would have known earlier than yesterday it wasn't on terrestrial surely ? A lot of popular sports are just on Sky so a minority sport like Hockey should think itself lucky with all the coverage it got. My favourite sport is Rugby League. To watch the World Cup of that I had to subscribe to Premier Sports even as a Sky subscriber.

Premier Sports? I've heard of it but thought it was a web-based channel?? Anyhow, as for Sky 4 - as a wider issue I notice reading http://www.thefootballlife.co.uk/post/40276750934/spl-viewing-figures-mid-term-report that they refer to Scottish football as being "shunted" to SS4 and it's viewing figures dropping accordingly.

How many instances are there of a game being shown live on SS4 and it getting viewing figures greater than, say, SS1 or SS2, and what would those events be?
  • Options
    AJonesSCFCAJonesSCFC Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I think it may be the case that some non Sky satellite and cable subscribers, such as Virgin and BT may have SS1 and SS1 but not 3 and 4 so there's less potential customers as well the prestige of being on SS1 I suppose. A bit like BBC1 getting more viewers than BBC3, yet everyone has both. Personally I think Hockey can count itself lucky it's on at all, it was never going to be a big draw for Sky and even Sky Sports News have been covering it.

Sky have announced today that there will be a Sky Sports 5 so that will cause even more controversy most probably!
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Details of this result were on "the red button" headlines last night, as it is quite often the case, the actual name of the sport was omitted.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think hockey deserves better coverage than it gets.

It's a fast-moving, exciting game in which England (or Britain) are competitive.

Someone else mentioned Rugby League. I like that sport too - but Sky do give the sport very good coverage - and cup games are on BBC too.

Must say, I prefer Rugby League to Rugby Union (and I don't come from the north!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattlamb wrote: »
    I think hockey deserves better coverage than it gets.

It's a fast-moving, exciting game in which England (or Britain) are competitive.

Someone else mentioned Rugby League. I like that sport too - but Sky do give the sport very good coverage - and cup games are on BBC too.

Must say, I prefer Rugby League to Rugby Union (and I don't come from the north!)

Super League on Sky gets more viewers than the Aviva Premiership. And it doesn't matter where you come from.

Hockey isn't a great tv sport, sorry but it isn't, if it was it would get more coverage.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To me hockey is one of those Olympic sports that you see every 4 years and think 'this isn't bad, I might watch this more regularly'.........and I did enjoy it in the Olympics.

But when the Olympics are over it soon fades from the memory and next time it's on you can't really be bothered......
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England win penalty shoot-out!

Unfortunately, only in the 11/12 place play-off game. England ladies beat Belgium 2-1 in the shootout, after 0-0 full time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    England win penalty shoot-out!

Unfortunately, only in the 11/12 place play-off game. England ladies beat Belgium 2-1 in the shootout, after 0-0 full time.

Very disappointing tournament for both Belgium and England women's teams. Can't put my finger on it r/e England, never really got into the tournament until it was too late, and in the crucial game v South Africa they were on top and had chances galore until SA scored and that kinda knocked the stuffing out of the team.

Are they under-prepared? Over-prepared and going into the competition over-cooked?? At least they have the Commonwealths which, although hardly world-class, still puts them against Australia again and a chance to save some face this season.

The games will be on the BBC and no doubt because of that will attract a larger audience, but I'd swap any Commonwealth Gold medal for a top-4 spot in the Worlds.

C'on England's men tomorrow!! Can't see them beating the Dutch, but if they can keep it tight and maybe get a shoot-out, who knows? And the Oranje aren't invincible - in last year's Euros a non-fancied Irish team took them all the way and the Dutch just squeezed through.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    England 1 down ATM v Netherlands.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So narrow 1-0 loss in the end. Third place play-off against loser of Australia - Argentina later. Presumably Argentina.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11.30 tomorrow ENG/ARG for what would be an excellent medal. England probably slight favourites?

But what a joy it would be to be in Holland this weekend. Might just be a little bit of bunting out....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uruguay`s population of just a third of `London` and they still give England a whipping:D
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    To me hockey is one of those Olympic sports that you see every 4 years and think 'this isn't bad, I might watch this more regularly'.........and I did enjoy it in the Olympics.

But when the Olympics are over it soon fades from the memory and next time it's on you can't really be bothered......

Oh and the Commonwealth Games.

Now if they can only get Hockey in the 2019 European Games
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Just beaten Belgium (men's) in a game they had to win to get to the Semi-Final of the World Hockey Cup which will be v Netherlands on Friday.

After what has seemed an immeasurably long and difficult week for both the men and women's teams - with some darned good thrashings on the way, I'm amazed that the men have emerged with a fourth-place at worst!! ^_^

Anyhow...well done them and anyone who managed to find the game tucked away on Sky Sports 4.

Just wonder if there were more people watching via pirates and un-blocked Youtube than on Sky??

maybe but their are some exclusive sport channel are aired live