Can a shop refuse to accept your payment if you pay with change?

13»

Comments

• ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote:
    If the £10 Bank Of England note is not legal tender in Scotland.Then why have i used a cash macine in Glasgow City Centre & it has given me a Bank Of England £10 or £20 note & i have been able to use it no problem?
    For the same reason that you've been able to use your credit card or your cheque book in shops. You're making a purchase, not settling a debt. The concept of 'Legal Tender' is irrelevant.
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about one of these ?
    If I could jump over the Internet wall and give you a virtual hug I would! Thank you!!!!

Have passed this link onto the Xmas collections committee. So simple but brilliant.
  • Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteUK wrote:
    Wouldn't wearing gloves help?
    No, they just make it more difficult to pick up coins. Especially 5p and 1p.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably would've taken you an hour to sort it, and listening to The Archers or something while doing it, the time would've gone in no time! Still, if you want to line Coinstar's pockets, that's up to you!

Too right, I'd happily pay £2 or whatever it was to avoid listening to the Archers for an hour and then having to troll down to the bank weighed down with bags of coins! :D
  • Vite.dfeemtoonVite.dfeemtoon Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member
    Rab C wrote:
    If I could jump over the Internet wall and give you a virtual hug I would! Thank you!!!!

Have passed this link onto the Xmas collections committee. So simple but brilliant.
    Hug accepted!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh it's so irritating when customers dump a load of change on the counter! Working in a shop it's happened loads to me.
    If you count it and put in in cash bags your less likely to annoy someone though (They can be obtained from abnks and post offices)
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is a 1p coin litterally worth 1p worth of copper?
  • ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    So is a 1p coin litterally worth 1p worth of copper?
    Only the older ones are actually made of copper. For the last 15 years they have been made of copper plated steel.

There is enough copper in the old ones to make them worth more if you melted them down and sold them for scrap...
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote:
    Only the older ones are actually made of copper. For the last 15 years they have been made of copper plated steel.

There is enough copper in the old ones to make them worth more if you melted them down and sold them for scrap...

Haha maybe i can try that one day :p
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I refuse to use them coinstar machines as I think 7.9% is ridiculous.
    I counted £29 worth of 5ps yesterday (took about 30 mins) - if I used the machine it would have took away £2.29!!
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote:

That's illegal to do in UK, I think you have to take it to France
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote:
    I refuse to use them coinstar machines as I think 7.9% is ridiculous.
    I counted £29 worth of 5ps yesterday (took about 30 mins) - if I used the machine it would have took away £2.29!!
    But £2.29 for 30 minutes work is less than minimum wage.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Counting your change can be even more fun if you do it while it's still in your pocket! :eek: :D
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote:
    Jusst wondering as I have tonnes of 5 pence pieces and need some petrol.. :p

Yes they can refuse any form of payment they wish, there is no legal obligation fro them to sell you any goods, or indeed to even permit you on the premises. Entry to a shop is at the discretion of the managers adn once in the rules they set including payment methods must be followed.

Taxi drivers refuse cheques because they take time to clear and there is no garuntee they wont bounce.