EE and O2 WILL increase your contract every year!

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
O2 recently announced that they would write mid contract price increases into the actual T&C of their contract. This meant that anyone who wanted to sign up to an O2 contract after January 23rd would have to explicitly agree that they wouldn't mind O2 increasing their contract in line with RPI every March. The first price increase took place last month and allowed O2 to increase all customers line rental by 2.7%.

Ofcom have taken steps to try and ban mid contract price increase by introducing new rules which allow customers to cancel their contracts free of charge if a network attempts to increase the contract price during the minimum term. Whilst networks such as Three and Tesco have followed Ofcom guidelines and promised to stop mid contract price increases, O2 (as described above) found a loophole and continue to increase prices whilst not allowing their customers to cancel.

EE have recently announced they will be following in O2's footsteps and any customer that signs up after March 26th will be subject to an RPI increase every March. This means if you buy a new contract with EE, you are explicitly agreeing for EE to screw you over every year and increase your price plan. There is nothing an EE customer can do about this, they cannot cancel without paying the early termination fee.

But don't think that if you signed up before March 26th that you're safe. If you signed up earlier then you can expect a 2.7% RPI increase in May of this year. So all EE customers are affected by this and will continue to be so every year. As an EE or O2 customer your price plan will continue to increase every year and there is nothing you can do apart from pay the extra money.

Will Vodafone follow in O2 and EE's footsteps? Maybe?
Should Ofcom do something to prevent this? Well they already have and a loophole has allowed O2 and EE to do exactly what Ofcom were trying to prevent.
It looks like mid contract price increases are here to stay. If you're against mid contract price increases then Three and Tesco are the best choices right now.

Comments

• AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the loophole basically is this: the network can increase your price so long as they write it into the contract?

Seems like a silly thing to overlook.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    AlecR wrote: »
    So the loophole basically is this: the network can increase your price so long as they write it into the contract?

Effectively you're signing up to a "flexible" contract that allows the network to change the price every 12 months in line with RPI. They also have to tell you this at point of sale.

Hence why the O2 website now has this on the checkout page-
    [1] Important details about your tariff

From 2015, your O2 Refresh Airtime Plan or Simplicity pay monthly plan will be adjusted every year on your April bill by the Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation* announced in the preceding February. Find out more

And the EE website now has this on the phone/SIM selection page-
    Every March, your monthly plan cost will go up in line with the Retail Price Index. If you'd like to know more, take a look at point 7 in our Terms and Conditions. Other prices may also go up during your plan.

But how many people are going to read that small text at the bottom of the page?
    How many telesales agents are going to tell customers that their price will increase every year?
    How many store staff will tell customers that they're signing a contract that allows the network to screw the customer over?

My guess, people are going to complain as always come price increase time as it being something that they didn't realise would happen and something that shouldn't happen.
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    It shows which companies are more interested in their profits than their customers. :D I will be voting with my wallet and staying with Three. No mid-contract price rises and far superior 3G and 4G.
  • wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It shows which companies are more interested in their profits than their customers. :D I will be voting with my wallet and staying with Three. No mid-contract price rises and far superior 3G and 4G.

Every company is more interested in their profits more than their customers, shareholders first, customers second. £££££$$ Three will be next..
  • thebennyboythebennyboy Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Every company is more interested in their profits more than their customers, shareholders first, customers second. £££££$$ Three will be next..

Some are clearly more interested than others. At least providing 3G in more than just towns and cities. Three have also pledged not to raise prices for contract customers.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll maybe move from o2 when contract finishes. Will see
  • daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will these increases ever end? :(

At what point will consumers finally say you know what I am going to move to Tesco or Three in droves to teach EE and O2 that they cannot just keep increasing prices every year.

Unfortunately we the public have got so used to it along with increases in fuel that we complain about it but don't actually do anything about it or definitely not enough to make an impact.

I think it won't be long before Vodafone announce changes to their T&C's even though they have agreed like 3 there will be no mid-term price increases.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daleski75 wrote: »

At what point will consumers finally say you know what I am going to move to Tesco or Three in droves to teach EE and O2 that they cannot just keep increasing prices every year.

Unfortunately we the public have got so used to it along with increases in fuel that we complain about it but don't actually do anything about it or definitely not enough to make an impact.

I think it won't be long before Vodafone announce changes to their T&C's even though they have agreed like 3 there will be no mid-term price increases.

Lots of things increase in price though, that's why we have an inflation rate, of course the networks have to pay for things as well and consumers are using a lot more data, which costs money to deliver. 4G costs the networks hundreds of millions, not just in licencing, but also in infrastructure improvement.

I can see the case for small increases, but putting it up by RPI is a bit much, especially as wholesale costs are reducing for the networks. RPI is a measure of the whole retail sector, including fuel I think and isn't always representative of some areas like mobile where there are savings to be had in the background like infrastructure shares etc.

I think Ofcom thought that the networks should be able to price accordingly and estimate costs for the 2 years ahead so that consumers knew what the fixed price of the contract was, a couple of networks had different ideas through!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Lots of things increase in price though, that's why we have an inflation rate, of course the networks have to pay for things as well and consumers are using a lot more data, which costs money to deliver. 4G costs the networks hundreds of millions, not just in licencing, but also in infrastructure improvement.

I can see the case for small increases, but putting it up by RPI is a bit much, especially as wholesale costs are reducing for the networks. RPI is a measure of the whole retail sector, including fuel I think and isn't always representative of some areas like mobile where there are savings to be had in the background like infrastructure shares etc.

RPI as far as I am aware is not used anymore by the retail sector and it's now replaced by CPI http://www.significancemagazine.org/details/webexclusive/4228261/RPI-versus-CPI-whats-the-difference-Why-does-it-matter-Will-it-make-you-poorer-o.html

But I digress and you do make some valid points there will always be increases due to inflation but it feels to me that O2 and EE have latched onto RPI as a guaranteed way to increase the line rental every year without fail and this is what I feel is taking the you know what and there is nothing the consumer can do as it's now part of the T&C's when you sign up.

It sounds like OFCOM had the best of intentions but O2 found a way around it and EE are now following in their footsteps. And if these increases happen every year which I have doubt they will then that will only drive up the price of the contract you sign up to each year as well so no matter what everyone pays more.

People say it's only a negligible amount of £0.75 to £1.99 each month but it all adds up and by the time my daughter is old enough to have a phone (quite a few years to go!) I would hate to think what the price will end up being.
  • Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Every 12 months PAC out and back under a new play at the original price as the tariffs usually stY the same price on site, can't stand o2, so pricey for what they offer Data wise and EE, left when t mobile went downhill and they charged to cancel even though it was all over the net about signal issues/problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl_Boys wrote: »
    Every 12 months PAC out and back under a new play at the original price as the tariffs usually stY the same price on site, can't stand o2, so pricey for what they offer Data wise and EE, left when t mobile went downhill and they charged to cancel even though it was all over the net about signal issues/problems.

How can you get a pac code every 12 months if you sign up for a 24 month agreement or am I missing something?
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People say it's only a negligible amount of £0.75 to £1.99 each month but it all adds up and by the time my daughter is old enough to have a phone (quite a few years to go!) I would hate to think what the price will end up being.

Exactly, in a typical 2 year contract you can be hit by a 5% increase over the contract period. I love the way they're automatically charging you extra just because RPI has increased, even if their industry / sector has not, or if their costs are down etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, in a typical 2 year contract you can be hit by a 5% increase over the contract period. I love the way they're automatically charging you extra just because RPI has increased, even if their industry / sector has not, or if their costs are down etc.

If they released a breakdown of the extra costs they are incurring due to RPI then I am sure the consumer would probably be ok with it but for them to just state it's going up and no more information is a bitter pill to swallow.

At the end of the day prices will always increase but it's at the rate they are increasing which is the most worrying for me.

Do you think that once they have all done investing in 4G the RPI increases will stop? I think they will never stop personally and the days of contracts starting from £4x will soon become £5x for the high end handsets (S5, Z2, One, 5S etc)
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    But Of com never sought to ban price rises, they merely sought to remove confusion around them and make it clear that your contract could rise.
  • sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    If they released a breakdown of the extra costs they are incurring due to RPI then I am sure the consumer would probably be ok with it but for them to just state it's going up and no more information is a bitter pill to swallow.

At the end of the day prices will always increase but it's at the rate they are increasing which is the most worrying for me.

Do you think that once they have all done investing in 4G the RPI increases will stop? I think they will never stop personally and the days of contracts starting from £4x will soon become £5x for the high end handsets (S5, Z2, One, 5S etc)

For a breakdown just look at your own household bill.

Electric
    Gas
    Water
    Rents
    Insurances

Then they have staff overheads
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm beginning to wonder if PAYG with Bolt-on packs are the best approach

At least you know the score every month
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »

That article needs to be updated with the fact that EE customers who signed up after 26th of March 2014 will face yearly RPI increases.
    sethpet wrote: »
    But Of com never sought to ban price rises, they merely sought to remove confusion around them and make it clear that your contract could rise.

Perhaps ban was too strong a word. But under the new and clearer rules, Ofcom were trying to make it possible so that if a network were to raise its prices mid contract then the customer would be able to walk away free without needing to pay any early termination fee. Hence they were pretty much putting their foot down and pretty much "banning" mid contract price increases otherwise networks could see a huge majority of customers leave without paying their contract.

Obviously O2 and EE have gone against this and are not allowing customers to leave/cancel their contract free of charge if they raise the price during the contract.

Your way of thinking is wrong here tbh.
    Of the options put forward, Ofcom’s proposed approach is to intervene to allow consumers to exit their contract without penalty if their provider introduces any price increase during the term of the contract.
    Alongside this, Ofcom would expect providers to be clear and upfront about the potential for price increases and of the consumer’s right to cancel the contract in the event of any price increase.

While it would allow communications providers to increase prices during a fixed-term contract, consumers would be free to leave the contract if they did not wish to accept the rise.
    This proposed change would address consumer concerns that it is unfair that providers are currently able to raise prices, while they themselves have little choice but to accept the increase or pay a penalty to exit the contract. Under the current rules, the exception is where a provider agrees that the price increase would be likely to cause ‘material detriment’.
  • ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Companies have a legal responsibility to act in the best interests of their shareholders and if they don't run the risk of legal action.

I love the way they hike prices on existing contracts whilst allowing new customers to signup at the original price. Demonstrates perfectly the kind of thought that goes in their decisions.
  • Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Very true ha I do 12 month sim onlys but I'm with three so hopefully stay at £14 for the one plan, fingers crossed I can stay on it for another year though I wouldn't mind paying £15 really.
    How can you get a pac code every 12 months if you sign up for a 24 month agreement or am I missing something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    Companies have a legal responsibility to act in the best interests of their shareholders and if they don't run the risk of legal action.

I love the way they hike prices on existing contracts whilst allowing new customers to signup at the original price. Demonstrates perfectly the kind of thought that goes in their decisions.

Totally agree the new contracts have the price increase already in place at the same price as the original contract before the price increase.... go figure!
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    CI love the way they hike prices on existing contracts whilst allowing new customers to signup at the original price. Demonstrates perfectly the kind of thought that goes in their decisions.

They don't.

Last time O2 hiked my contract price new customers had to pay the same increased and awkward amount (37.04 or something).

But that tariff was withdrawn shortly thereafter and replaced with the whole "Refresh" shenanigans.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When our monetary policy committees stop striving for more inflation being a good thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    When our monetary policy committees stop striving for more inflation being a good thing?

At the end of the day fixed should mean fixed not fixed until March before we put it up by x.y%

You certainly would never get a decrease in your tariff if the costs go down for a network whilst you are in contract and it's the same for all utility companies but the second their costs go up we get hit by it.

If you are signing a variable price contract on O2 or EE then any cost savings should definitely be passed onto the consumer be it cash back or a monthly discount (not including loyalty bonuses etc)
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the end of the day fixed should mean fixed not fixed until March before we put it up by x.y%

You certainly would never get a decrease in your tariff if the costs go down for a network whilst you are in contract and it's the same for all utility companies but the second their costs go up we get hit by it.

If you are signing a variable price contract on O2 or EE then any cost savings should definitely be passed onto the consumer be it cash back or a monthly discount (not including loyalty bonuses etc)

Indeed. I bet if the economy did start to go into deflation, I bet the prices wouldn't reduce. So why should they increase with inflation? Its a joke.