Apple invent their own built in Sim Card

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Apple have invented their own built in Sim Card. For a few years now Apple have been trying to get rid of the Sim Card altogether (although the networks haven't been too happy about the idea). Now while this is being used on the new iPads announced today its bound to make its way onto the iPhone 6S next year.
The Apple website says LTE-equipped models of its new tablets (sold in the US and UK) have a built-in Apple SIM that lets owners switch between short term plans across a variety of participating carriers, right on the tablet itself .

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/16/apple-sim-ipad-lte-us-uk/

It may not be possible to remove this Sim as it could be hard wired in or even be a virtual Sim.

Awaits iFixit teardown.....

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Apple have invented their own built in Sim Card. For a few years now Apple have been trying to get rid of the Sim Card altogether (although the networks haven't been too happy about the idea). Now while this is being used on the new iPads announced today its bound to make its way onto the iPhone 6S next year.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/16/apple-sim-ipad-lte-us-uk/

It may not be possible to remove this Sim as it could be hard wired in or even be a virtual Sim.
    I rather feel they have got this very wrong! We will see:D
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple’s attempt to weaken the relationship between mobile subscribers and their operators will be seen as a major threat. Although tablet subscriptions account for only a small portion of revenues, operators will expect the technology to be introduced to the iPhone, which in the UK typically accounts for roughly a third of customers, many of whom are among the biggest spenders.

The ability to switch networks easily would be a particular threat to the profitability of mobile operators, who have already seen their margins come under pressure in recent years because of cuts to roaming and wholesale charges imposed by regulators
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/11168544/Mobile-operators-face-threat-from-Apple-iPads-software-SIM-card.html
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's definitely removable. If you want to remove the SIM and use your own then you'll be able to do that.
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    It's definitely removable. If you want to remove the SIM and use your own then you'll be able to do that.
    It explicitly says that Verizon customers will have to do just that in the US!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they perhaps using a Virtual Sim (built in or otherwise) and a proper Sim card slot?
    Apple made no mention of the SIM at its launch event Thursday, held at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters, so details on the feature are still lacking.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/ipad-air-2-ipad-mini-3-come-equipped-with-carrier-hopping-apple-sim/
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    The ever more sticky ecosystem takes another stride forward.

I would be very worried by this development for future iPhones.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

Why? What does it stop you doing?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Apple site implies it is EE/T-Mobile only in the UK. Not much of a choice!

http://www.apple.com/ipad-air-2/wireless/
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    I rather feel they have got this very wrong! We will see:D

There's enough money in it for the networks to let themselves get pushed into accepting it.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member

Yes because the ability to freely and easily move carriers or to sign up with a local carrier when abroad rather than roaming is a bad thing
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    The ever more sticky ecosystem takes another stride forward. I would be very worried by this development for future iPhones.

I would assume that is unlikely. I believe iPad isn't bought on contract in many countries outside the UK - so this is a neat way of not having to carry 20 different SIM cards in your bag for data in different countries. Good for frequent travellers.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good articles on this here:

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2012/05/the-sim-less-phone-is-coming-and-it-should-scare-the-shit-out-of-you/
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/16/apple-ipad-air-2-brings-soft-sim-to-break-mobile-networks-stranglehold

There may come a day in the not to distant future where if you want to use the iPhone you'll only be able to purchase it from Apple (either out right or monthly payments) and new iPhone users will no longer be locked into any phone contracts. They'll be able to pick from a selection of phone networks who have done deals with Apple.. effectively paying Apple for their phone & their phone use. It's an all in one solution. Apple likes that sort of thing. They have full control and their customers aren't being dictated to by a third party company who is "polluting" the Apple brand experience.

This is obviously pretty bad news for the phone networks. They like contracts. They like customers being locked in. But it's possible this particular party may be coming to an end for them. The US is eager to break the strangle hold contracts have over customers and this may be Apples way of forcing it to happen. The other knock on effect is what happens to smaller phone manufacturers who rely on phone contracts to sell their phones? And what about Samsung? Could they even think of doing something like this? Even Google might struggle because they don't have any relationships with the phone networks.

Interesting times.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This story first surfaced years ago. i don't see it happening anytime soon. Except for the non GSM versions.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »

What does it allow you to do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    This story first surfaced years ago. i don't see it happening anytime soon. Except for the non GSM versions.

I did a thread about it back in 2011:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1579393
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion this has the potential to change up the mobile phone industry in the same way that the music industry was changed by iTunes. That resulted in us consumers getting cheaper music and enabling musicians to more easily release their material without the controlling record labels.

From what I've read this has the potential for us to have a single SIM card in the device, but to easily switch providers of our own choice when travelling. There's the potential that you'll get service without having to tie in to one carrier for both home and abroad. The device would be unlocked and you could have Three's Feel At Home where it works, and then different local sims in countries where it doesn't, without having to swap cards.

It'll be a while until this really develops, but it's an interesting development.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    So the irony is that in the UK, this creates less choice.
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    So the irony is that in the UK, this creates less choice.

How?

If you don't like the inbuilt choice you simply put your own sim in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it allow you to do?

I see you failed to answer the question, so I'll assume you don't know the answer.

As for what it allows you to do, there are already posts that tell you that.

Being able to switch providers without having to replace the sim would be very convenient for the user, something I thought you would be keen on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    How?

I think some are just being reactionary to the headline and don't understand that you can just put your own sim in.
  • WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some are just being reactionary to the headline and don't understand that you can just put your own sim in.

That isn't sure to always be the case though (for future Apple products).
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    How?

There isn't any choice - it's EE only.

Very few people are going to want to choose between EE in the UK and from one of three carriers in the US.

We don't know if there are restrictions - perhaps taking out a US plan will require a US billing address.
    Forum Member
    That isn't sure to always be the case though (for future Apple products).
    This depends VERY much on the networks - it is NOT just Apple's decision!
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    There isn't any choice - it's EE only.

Very few people are going to want to choose between EE in the UK and from one of three carriers in the US.

We don't know if there are restrictions - perhaps taking out a US plan will require a US billing address.
    You currently just use your own SIM - as even many US people will have to (Verizon customers)
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    How long before hackers work out how to steal data from one of these virtual sims.
    Forum Member
    I see you failed to answer the question, so I'll assume you don't know the answer.

As for what it allows you to do, there are already posts that tell you that.

Being able to switch providers without having to replace the sim would be very convenient for the user, something I thought you would be keen on.

I wasn't asking you about the conjecture provided in 'other' posts I was asking you what you think it does.

It seems strange that a company like Apple, that provide mobile devices that are notoriously difficult to unlock, will offer this sim free choice as standard. Do you think this is what they will offer then a fully sim free iphone?

If that is indeed the case sounds very good indeed. However what would not be so good is a limited number of tarriffs/providers that limit the choice defined by Apple. Do you think this is a possibility?