Options

Cat with the flu ..

seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He's been sick for 3 days now and is not eating or drinking - I'm using a dropper to keep him hydrated. He was at the vets yesterday and he got a couple of shots and some antibiotics for the next few days. If anyone has some experience or advice they're willing to share it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not had a cat with the flu but here is the Blue Cross advice.

Keep on with the hydration & offer up smelly, warm food like pilchards.

Fingers crossed for a quick recovery xx
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he wont drink you might want to try giving him the water from a tin of tuna in spring water, when my cat was poorly he refused to drink but he went mad for that...and he ate all the tuna too!

i hope hes better soon
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya. All my cats had a terrible cold last year, the youngest (and tiniest) got very poorly.

1) keep the dropper water thing going, no matter how he squirms.
    2) make sure the nose is free from any snot build up. Warm water on a soft cloth is ideal. Pick it if you have to! If he is super bunged up, nasal drops from the chemist for babies helped for my lot (just saline water)
    3) same for eyes, bathe them in warm water on soft cotton pads/ very soft cloth. will help him feel less yucky.
    3) LOTS of smelly food! try tuna in spring water. (that way you can get a bit more moisture in him), warm it up if need be.
    4) hottie under a nice fluffy blanket.
    5) peace and quiet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had lots of cats with cat flu. Its horrible for the little ones.
    What sort of ab's has he been given,
    Any eye drops,
    If he hasnt been eating or drinking you can warm food up for him only so its warm but not hot.
    The more important is too keep him hydrated. He needs at least 1ml every hour or so. You can put glocuse into the water too make a rehydration solution too but i cant remember the quanity
    if he is congested take him into a bathroom thats full of steam that can help clear his nose.
    His he slavering at all.
    Ab's can sometimes take a couple of days too get into his system. There is also a food that you can buy from the vets that is made for cats that dont eat its like a paste.
    My last lot of cat flu cats baby and jarjar where realy poorly with it. It was at least a week before they started eating properly. They refused anything i gave them. I was more worried because of there age they where 12 at the time. There the daftest cats ever now. I had cats from 17 days with cat flu too. If you need any thing just message me. Let us know how your kitty is please
  • Options
    seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's much better today. I was so happy earlier today when he ate a little bit of Whiskas Supermeat, but of course he threw it up (and his antibiotic!) 20 mins later! But he is beginning to show an interest in food again even if it's only a little nibble now and again. I was very worried because my sisters cat was very sick when he got it but he was a much younger and smaller than my tom. I'm still hydrating him and as I speak he is fast asleep on the sofa after hunting my dog off so hopefully he's on the mend:)
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seosamh wrote: »
    He's much better today. I was so happy earlier today when he ate a little bit of Whiskas Supermeat, but of course he threw it up (and his antibiotic!) 20 mins later! But he is beginning to show an interest in food again even if it's only a little nibble now and again. I was very worried because my sisters cat was very sick when he got it but he was a much younger and smaller than my tom. I'm still hydrating him and as I speak he is fast asleep on the sofa after hunting my dog off so hopefully he's on the mend:)

Good news:):), keep the fluids coming. Hope he makes a speedy recovery
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seosamh wrote: »

Realy pleased. dont worry if he gets a little upset tum it could be the ab's. my kittens was so so small when they got it too. only about 160gms each.