Options

Asking someone out via a text message, a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Em* wrote: »
    I'm not the shy type but if someone randomly asked me out over the phone I wouldn't be particularly happy - it could make for an awkward situation if I didn't want to go.

I would prefer it to be asked by a text message, it can give more time to think about a response and is more likely to be final rather than possibly saying yes because you were put on the spot and then letting them down later once you've properly thought about it.

OP, any news yet?

I get what your saying. However he is not asking her to marry him or have his children its just a date. If she agrees then great if not then it's her loss.

I think speaking to her will also make it less awkward when they first meet for the date.

He's text her now so it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    The thing is, it could be a couple of months before I see her again since she doesn't go out often so really my only chance of asking her out is via a text message.

It's done now (still no reply?) but what I don't get is that you said a text is the ONLY way to do it. Last time I checked, phones had the ability to make phone calls. Surely that would have been better? Show your personality, have a chat about rubbish for 5 mins before asking her.

Like I said, it's done now anyway - so good luck!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I would also have recommended phoning her. I like the gutsy approach. A phone call gets more points than a text.

At least it's better than getting a friend to ask though. I've never agreed to go out with anyone who got their friend to ask me out instead of doing it personally.
  • Options
    DRY_SWEEPERDRY_SWEEPER Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    22 hours have gone by now, the news isnt looking good,
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The news is good ;) Sorry for the delay in updating but I've been traveling for the last couple of days due to my job. Just spent £9 for 24 hour Internet access in a travel lodge!! :eek:

Anyway, she replied back that night saying something along the lines of "I don't know what to say, yeah sure I'm free so can go out any time." I get home at the weekend so will go out then.

Thanks all for your advice, just hope it all goes well on Saturday.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    The news is good ;) Sorry for the delay in updating but I've been traveling for the last couple of days due to my job. Just spent £9 for 24 hour Internet access in a travel lodge!! :eek:

Anyway, she replied back that night saying something along the lines of "I don't know what to say, yeah sure I'm free so can go out any time." I get home at the weekend so will go out then.

Yay - congratulations! I hope you have a great time - let us know how it went. :)
    Blimey - £9! That's expensive!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well done fella :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Excellent.. well done m8!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,543
    Forum Member
    Congrats! Hope the date's a success :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done you & am sure your date Saturday will be a great success.

I was asked out by text after meeting a guy at a club for a few hours. Had no idea that he would text me but it was lovely to get the text. I accepted & we met up the following week. I asked him on our first date why he hadn't called and asked & he said it was because he wasn't sure that if he'd called I'd say yes because I was put in that position , but he knew I could ignore the text if I wasn't interested & he'd know if I didn't reply.

In two weeks time we celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary:D .

Hope it goes well for you Saturday, Have fun & be good :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 265
    Forum Member

Well done dude.
    Enjoy yourself.
    Just don't create a something about Mary moment. Wear flybutton jeans. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did your date go Red Arrow?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did your date go Red Arrow?

Check your PM.

I don't want to go into details but it's been moved to this weekend instead for a specific reason.
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    most mobiles have delivery reports on them nowadays anyway

Reports lie if they have your number blocked :eek:
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    sarahcs wrote: »
    I got asked out by text.
    We're now married!

Yeah well, I asked out one of my girlfriends and now shes dead. So yeah, works both ways.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Yeah well, I asked out one of my girlfriends and now shes dead. So yeah, works both ways.
    :eek:
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    :eek:

:o:D :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done! See our advice is somtimes useful! Let us know how saturday goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek::o I feel really nervous now as I've got to start thinking about getting ready now to go out.

I can't even eat my dinner! :o

Any last minute advice?
  • Options
    Toxic BunniToxic Bunni Posts: 12,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wear deodorant and clean under your nails.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, how did it go?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Paddy :D
  • Options
    lobeservelobeserve Posts: 7,924
    Forum Member
    :eek::o I feel really nervous now as I've got to start thinking about getting ready now to go out.

I can't even eat my dinner! :o

Any last minute advice?

Wear a condom.

Oops..... too late :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Well, how did it go?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Paddy :D

Seemed to go ok, I think. She was really nervious and shy so I did most the talking, which I'm not sure if that was a good thing :p

Will ask her is she wants to go out again in a couple of days I reckon. Then that will show wither she likes me or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least it went well. You'll have to let us all know if she wants to go on another date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nicemms wrote: »
    At least it went well. You'll have to let us all know if she wants to go on another date.

Well.....I think it went ok'ish if I'm going to be honest. I don't want to go into too much detail on a public forum but I am confused still over if she likes me or not.

But I will keep you all up-to-date.